Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2008, 02:02 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
Do you have any favorite campgrounds you'd recommend in these two states? I'm thinking that's where I'm going to winter this year . . . don't want to be isolated but don't want to be on the outskirts of Phoenix either! Plan to stay each place a month and move on . . . thanks!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2008, 02:02 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
Do you have any favorite campgrounds you'd recommend in these two states? I'm thinking that's where I'm going to winter this year . . . don't want to be isolated but don't want to be on the outskirts of Phoenix either! Plan to stay each place a month and move on . . . thanks!!
Old 08-03-2008, 02:28 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
GraciesMom-

I'm not familiar with these two states, but can recommend a good number of "winter sites" here along the gulf coast of Texas should you decide to come this direction.

No doubt there are many who'll jump in and recommend a place suited for you! Good luck with your travels and keep posting so we'll all know where you'll be!!!

Sandy
National Rally Wagonmaster
Life is sweet when the TEXAS BOOMERS meet!
Madame Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:31 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
If you pass through Ruidoso the Circle B is a great place and about $25 per day. About a mile or so from the main drag in Ruidoso. Cloudcroft is close. Very nice.

http://www.circlebrv.com/

Have not stayed in lower Arizona any length of time but if you are in Northern Arizona there are several places in Williams which is south of the Grand Canyon. There are a few places in Flagstaff but none memorable. In Williams we have stayed a few times at the Grand Canyon Railway RV Park and loved it. Very nice park and close to a lot of things. About 3 blocks from downtown Williams and lots of good eating places and shops. The RV park is part of a resort which includes the train station that serves the south rim of the Grand Canyon. You can do a day trip of the canyon (via train) or take the train up to the canyon and spend the night at the Hotel and come back the next afternoon.

http://www.thetrain.com/rvpark/

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:25 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
GraciesMom, I don't know which months you plan in AZ, but I would stay away from Flagstaff-Williams area in winter, unless you like snow and cold. Lower portion of state is much more appropriate for snowbirding.

Dieselclacker
Old 08-10-2008, 12:55 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
good point dieselclacker. Can get pretty bad in the winter. Late fall is nice though.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 04:58 PM   #7

Tombstone Territories RV Park Huachuca City, AZ. just north of Sierra Vista, AZ. great weather in winter, nice park, great people and lots to do in surrounding area. Passport America park, one of our favorites when we are down there in winter.

05 Newmar Mountain Aire 4304
BigRigRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:51 AM   #8
paz

We stayed at several New Mexico state parks when we were there last year and they were very nice. Take a look at those that might be along your route.

We stayed at Elephant Butte (very busy on the weekend) and Oliver Lee in Alamogordo. Oliver Lee is at the base of a mountain and has outstanding views from some of the sites. You can see all the way to White Sands.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:01 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
We stayed at Cochise Terrace in Benson AZ and loved it. In fact, it was so nice we extended our stay another week. A lot of places to see around that location and the winter weather should be fine.

We just left the Flagstaff area and the temps were nice for summer...around 70's in the daytime and no need to run A/C. But I would not want to be there in winter.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:59 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You might want to try Montessa Park in Magdelena, NM. http://montosarvpark.com/ It's very near the VLA. Gets a little cool in the fall.
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:38 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paz:
We stayed at several New Mexico state parks when we were there last year and they were very nice. Take a look at those that might be along your route. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
We spent all last summer (2007) visiting the New Mexico State Parks.

New Mexico has probably one of the best deals going: For an out-of-state resident, you can buy an annual camping permit for $225 which then allows you to dry camp for free, have electrical hookups (and sometimes water, depending on the park) for $4 or have full hookups for $8. And you can spend up to 21 days in each park. Most of the parks also have a dump available.

It's such a great deal, and the parks are really nice, that we're considering going back and doing it all over again!
Old 10-02-2008, 11:23 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Gracies Mom...

I can chime in regarding Az. We have kids which live in Buckeye about 30 miles west of Phoenix on I10 so we go there quite a bit for several weeks at a time.

Choices are a bit limited but we stay at Destiny RV Resort Phoenix in Goodyear. It's all paved roads and pads with gravel sites. There's a pool and spa but not much to write home about. The people are just ok to deal with and they've raised their rates to $50/night during high season. Last year their monthly rates for big rig sites was around $650 but I haven't checked this year.

Good luck and take care of Gracie!

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:28 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
New Mexico State Parks are very nice, In your travels ck out Lake Havasu AZ, That is were we have winter for the last 7 Yrs, If You like water and desert this is it.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:04 PM   #14

I'd check out wonderground.com for average high/low temperatures before selecting a wintering site.
For instance, the webpage in that hotlink shows average high of 60*/average low of 39* during Jan, Feb, for those AZ RV parks mentioned. That's too cool for me.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote