Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2014, 12:52 PM   #1

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Arizona for RVers

Johnny Cash once said, "I have been everywhere man". But, most RVers have not ...

So, I was thinking the other day ... Oh no, DW has that look that I know so well every time I get to thinking ... I told her, no really, I was thinking that RVers want to go and see places, but they don't much enjoy burning diesel just to get there ... So, I said to self, "Self, why not ask others at the irv2 forum for feedback before you start them engines ..."

So, what I'm looking to do is get feedback from others that are familiar with specific states to help snowbirds and sunbirds with their travels.

Since Arizona seems to be a favorite place for many RVers, I'll start there.

What parts of Arizona do you recommend for other RVers? ... What parts would you put in the category of not worth the diesel needed to get there?

I think, in time, we could build a database from threads like this for each state in the US, places in Canada, Alaska, etc.

DW says
cucotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2014, 05:02 PM   #2

Really depends on what you want to do.. but if you want to relax and enjoy the scenery , as well as hike I
Recommend:
Fool Hollow Lake - ShowLow, AZ.
Kartchner Caverns - Benson, AZ.
Patagonia State Park - (Park is cramped, plenty of opportunity to get to know your neighbor).
Copper Queen Camp ground - Bisbee, AZ (from there visit Ft Huachuca, Tombstone & Bisbee)
Old 04-22-2014, 05:08 PM   #3

With summer coming, we shift to No. AZ only.

We will be going to..

GC no/so.
GC Caverns.
Mogollon Rim area.
Next mo. is Dead Horse St Park.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:11 PM   #4

In southern Arizona, Catalina State Park is one of my favorites.

Northern Arizona has, of course, the Grand Canyon, Flagstaff, Sedona, Cottonwood (Dead Horse Ranch State Park).
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:49 PM   #5

Elevation is the key for Arizona (& other western states). Look at a map. Generally, for winter you don't want to go north or east of Phoenix. West of Phoenix to the Colorado River is o.k. and the full southern part.

Summer - just the opposite.

As far as activities, why do you like? Private parks? State/Public Parks? Boondocking? Everyone is different. We enjoy ALL of Arizona.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:30 PM   #6

There are lots of places in southern AZ to boondock on BLM and Forest Service land whee you will find no one else. We fortunately have friends who have been doing this for 10 years and have taken us to some of their favorite places. There are thousands of square miles beteen Safford and the border of New Mexico and a lot of places in New Mexico south and west of the Gila Wilderness. Saw one ranncher's vehicle in five days at one beautiful spot only 3 miles from the Gila Box in New Mexico, just east of Verdin. You could put a dozen rigs in the area and not see each other at all unless you wanted to, and that might take some hunting.
Reed and Elaine
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:54 PM   #7

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
In southern Arizona, Catalina State Park is one of my favorites.

Northern Arizona has, of course, the Grand Canyon, Flagstaff, Sedona, Cottonwood (Dead Horse Ranch State Park).
Here is more information on places in southern Arizona from another irv2 forum:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/sugge...ds-163207.html
cucotx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arizona