Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2014, 08:43 PM   #1

Arizona in July

First trip to Grand Canyon this July. Already have reservations at Trailer Village and Grand Canyon Railway RV Park. I have 6 nights between those two reserved times to try some other camping spots in the area. Any suggestions would be appreciated
gthunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2014, 09:29 PM   #2

You should not have problems getting a site, too darn hot for us mortals.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:01 PM   #3

Why are you staying a two parks for the Grand Canyon? Trailer Village is the best one for touring the canyon.

For extra time I would suggest Dead Horse Ranch State Park in Cottonwood for touring Sedona. Or move over to Flagstaff where it's much cooler than either the Grand Canyon or Sedona. Lots to see in the Flagstaff area including Sunset Crater Nat'l Monument, Wupatki Nat'l Monument, Walnut Canyon Nat'l Monument, Meteor Crater. Have a good trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:24 PM   #4

After the South Rim go out north toward Page AZ and see the North Rim. Stop in Page and tour Antelope Canyon, Lake Powell and don't miss the morning trip down the river from Glen Canyon Dam to lees ferry on the blue boats from Colorado River Discovery in Page, Takes 3 to 4 hrs NO WHITEWATER but a great trip down the canyon. They bring you back to Page. After Page go west on 89 to Kanab and south to the North Rim.
Google it all up and you won't be disappointed.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:28 AM   #5

Good Lord Arizona in July.!! You must be a glutton for punishment. Lived in that hell hole for 5 years and finally moved back to Colorado. Arizona is the place to be in the winter but very uncomfortable in the summer (and thats putting it mildly)
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
Good Lord Arizona in July.!! You must be a glutton for punishment. Lived in that hell hole for 5 years and finally moved back to Colorado. Arizona is the place to be in the winter but very uncomfortable in the summer (and thats putting it mildly)
Why paint all of AZ with the same brush. At our house the avg. OUTDOOR temp is 77 degrees. Hell hole? I think not.

gthunts, stick to above 4000ft and you'll be fine. Enjoy your trip.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:08 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
There is a big difference in climate in AZ - North east mountain areas such as Flagstaff / Show Low can not be compared to the low areas such as Phoeniz and/or Yuma.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:23 AM   #8

If the snow has left the road to the North Rim by then, see it if you can.

It is a totally different view from higher elevation and different colors due to the sun angle.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
There is a big difference in climate in AZ - North east mountain areas such as Flagstaff / Show Low can not be compared to the low areas such as Phoeniz and/or Yuma.
X2, stick to the high ground, with daytime temps in the 120+ range, you want to avoid the desert areas.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:00 PM   #10

Thanks for the info. DW is a school teacher so summer is our only time to travel until she retires.
gthunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:53 PM   #11

When you drive to the North Rim you'll be 9000' in elevation! HOT it ain't even in July.
Page is 4300' and get 95 in July, that's doable. Remember, it's a dry heat, you don't feel it! :-)
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:51 PM   #12

I have stayed at both Trailer Village and Grand Canyon Railroad Park in Williams. I did Trailer Village in August and it was very comfortable due to the elevation. I did Williams AZ in October so I can't speak for how it may be in July but I can say that it is essentially a parking lot, but I liked it for several reasons- I like Route 66 nostalgia and downtown Williams has that and I like trains- and down town Williams has that as well. You are right next to the BNSF in GCRR RV park and the train ride to/from the south rim is a pleasure. We did the Williams trip when our kids were a lot younger so we basically got the Clark Griswald view of the South Rim before boarding the train back to Williams but it worked well at the time. We recently did the Trailer Village trip when the kids were older and that also worked very nicely for us.

If you are looking for another place to go while you are there I would definitely recommend the North Rim and the campground there (assuming your rig is 40 feet or under AND you have the ability to dry camp for the period of time you are there- there are two times during the day which they allow generators to run). The North Rim is not exactly a convenient drive from the South Rim but if you have time in your itinerary it is fabulous. If you go to the North Rim and want to eat in the nice restaurant then make sure to call ahead to get reservations. The North Rim is 1000 feet higher in elevation than the South Rim and even more comfortable in the summer (we went in August).

I hope you enjoy your trip and the journey! These two trips to the GC were the quintessential RV vacation I dreamed about all my life and I am glad I got to do them.

Enjoy,

Patrick J
PatrickJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:26 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to CruisinCondo
We visited the Grand Canyon last year and the weather was beautiful in July. We stayed at a forest campground Ten X. Check out my blog and scroll to August 2013. CruisinCondo. Have a great trip. Mark
Old 03-27-2014, 07:56 AM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
X2, stick to the high ground, with daytime temps in the 120+ range, you want to avoid the desert areas.
But it's a dry heat
bsjulestad is offline   Reply With Quote