Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2021, 01:31 PM   #1

Arizona versus Florida this winter

Living in the midwest can winter in either Arizona or Florida. Have always gone to Florida but looking at alternatives due to Covid. We are very healthy and active and looking for a warm location where the people are very friendly and there are lots of activities. Have no clue how it would be to winter in Arizona? I hope this question does not open a can of warms but I am genuinely interested in what others do for the winter months and any recommendations I can review if there is still availability. Administrators.....please delete this post if you anticipate any problems......
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2021, 01:38 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have wintered the last 12 years in Arizona, mostly in the Yuma area, but we do spend part of the winter boondocking in Quartzsite.
We like Yuma because over all it is the warmest place in Arizona in winter. Also, it is small enough that there is no trouble with traffic, most everything a person could want is close by. We dont spend much time in campgrounds or resorts, but I am sure that there are plenty of them with almost any amenity a person could want.
Old 09-07-2021, 01:58 PM   #3

Either one! No matter which state you elect you will have to use a certain amount of common sense and caution. Pick one, go and enjoy!

Bill
03 American Tradition
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 02:05 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We enjoy both states in winter, but prefer AZ. Less crowded and not as hot. We’ve stayed all over southern AZ and like the Phoenix and Yuma areas, but also Quartzsite. If you’re into Boondocking,Q is the place to be.

Plus access to southern CA is easy.
pduggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 05:38 PM   #5

Popular places in Arizona are Benson, Tucson, Green Valley, the greater Phoenix area (covers a lot of territory), Yuma, and along the Colorado River.

We've stayed in all of them, including boondocking at Quartzsite but you may not want that.

I'd highly suggest you move around to test out the different areas ... and they're all very different. Perhaps 2 weeks each place.

We don't have any experience with RV parks. We always used the awesome state parks or Maricopa County parks for the Phoenix area.

We tried Florida a few times and didn't like the sticky humidity and the bugs.

New Mexico - even the southern part - was way too cold for us.

We didn't care for Texas and definitely not the 'Rio Grande Valley' area. Rockport was OK but again, the salt air.

Good luck!!
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 05:47 PM   #6

Two days is my limit in the FL trafffic.... I prefer AZ.
Old 09-07-2021, 07:17 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
After 13 years wintering in Mexico(which we loved) we've been wintering in Arizona for the past 4 years. Weather is, in my opinion, about perfect. high 60's, low 70's with near zero humidity. Nice cool evenings for sleeping. We stay at an RV Resort, which is nothing more than a high priced campground, in Mesa. My best friend has a ranch in Tonto Basin, about 80 miles away, so we spend some time there also. I have bird dogs and like the fact that I can hunt quail till mid February.
DandyDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:51 PM   #8

AZ winters are much drier than FL. The nights in the desert can get into the 30's in Dec-Jan. Days around 75-80. Hardly any rain. It's a very dusty environment, if that bothers you. If Covid worries you, you can space out further from your neighbors in most of AZ than in FL. If you use parks and not camping-boondocking areas, they'll be much cheaper in AZ than in FL, but they'll feel cheaper too (unless you stay way inland in Florida.) No manicured lawns.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 08:21 PM   #9

florida

we have spent a lot of time in Fl over the last 2 years... zero concern about cv19, never saw a mask, went wherever we wanted enjoyed great food and weather, much depends on your comfort level... there are other areas to consider middle TN in the winter you might see a few below freezing days but a lot to do and great country... and usually pretty cheap...
ponytl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 08:53 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Now you know why Florida is a hot spot for covid...I'm not sure where you are ponytl but where we are in Florida, as well as camping and traveling around Florida from the Keys to St. Augustines over to the panhandle from our home base in Port Charlotte I see many folks happily wearing masks, vaccinated and being careful. I do agree my preference is Florida vs. Arizona because I prefer the warmer winters. And being minutes from the ocean the nice cool Seabreeze during the winter months and a lot lower comfortable humidity levels IMO. I think you have lots more to do here from beautiful beaches of Siesta Key, golf,Boca Grande, etc...and is there a little more crowded sure but IMHO, and we've been coming to Florida since the 70s still a great place to visit or live. Its why we retired down here 2 years ago.
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 07:52 AM   #11

Please stay away from AZ. It is a dangerous place. Freedom is everywhere!
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 09:17 PM   #12

Also in the Midwest. We bought a campground membership with many parks in FL, TX and AZ. We like all 3!
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 09:40 PM   #13

I would suggest Texas. East of I 35 and south of I 10. Plenty of campgrounds, state parks and barely a night with freezing temperatures. Plenty of day trip opportunities and the folks are glad you're visiting.
RetiredbutWorking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 06:58 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
We much prefer Arizona and California in the winter. I prefer the wide open vistas of the west, and I also prefer the dryer climate. We mostly boondock, but we balance that with a few stays at resorts. Some are very landscaped, some are minimal, but there are a number with really nice activities. We have stayed in Yuma some, and this year we intend on checking out Casa Grande too, maybe Tucson. I second the recommendation to try out a number of places for 2-3 weeks each. The areas are quite different.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arizona, florida, winter