Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2019, 06:52 AM   #1

Around Lake Michigan in May

Would love to travel around the lake in mid may or so this year. How bad are the biting bugs? Those no-see-um's, flies, flesh eating mastodons - those sorts of things

Those no-see-ums love me. As I write this I have about 150 bites all over me from the Florida panhandle. Forgot about how they bite and was not wearing any repellant.

Is that trip that time of year doable, or will I be miserable? DW seems almost immune from them

That circular route looks like a ton of fun with LOTS to see. Enjoy sitting out watching sunsets but that is their dinner time I guess.
X-OEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2019, 07:17 AM   #2

We traveled all around Michigan in May a few years ago. In the UP, the bugs were bad. Not the biting kind, but the cloud of bugs was so bad you had to walk around looking like this! BUT, that being said, Michigan is a beautiful state, with a lot to offer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160526_120106.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	241550  
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:24 AM   #3

I HOPE you are having a bit of fun here!! THAT does not look like something on my bucket list

Glad to hear about the lack of biting bugs. As I said, they think I am one of those roadside all you can eat buffets
Old 04-11-2019, 07:39 AM   #4

Oh yes, we were enjoying the visit and had a great many stories to tell the family. The bug were not bad everywhere. Way up in Copper Harbor we were bug free, down at the big Mackinaw Bridge the bugs were plentiful, but large. The picture was taken while we were on a hike at Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park. Those bugs were very small and you could choke on them! But it is a beautiful state with friendly people. BTW, they sell those net hats everywhere up there.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:55 AM   #5

I was afraid that those hats were for sale everywhere. I may have to re-think my plans. My wife is most certainly a glamping personality as opposed to a David Attenborough personality. It sure looks like a trip I want to make...….
Old 04-11-2019, 08:45 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Hey X-OEM,

We will be going north through Wisconsin in late May, heading to the UP in early June, then across the Big Mac and southward through the LP in June, ending up near Detroit by Independence Day.

How about a bug report after your trip, so I will know how much repellant (or other equipment) to buy before our trip?? Should be lotsa fun.

Thanks.

Chuck
Old 04-11-2019, 08:55 AM   #7

If we do go, sounds like I wont have any blood left at the end of the trip. (Or a marriage)

I will however with my last breath and keystroke give you the needed equipment / chemical list so my bones may be viewed on the side of the road with some reverence
Old 04-11-2019, 08:57 AM   #8

Don't let the bugs be a deterrent, but look at them as just an adventure.

Sounds like a great trip Chuck! In the UP we really enjoyed Munising Tourist Park Campground. Absolutely gorgeous views. This was taken right from our campsite.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160520_211125.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	241558  
Old 04-11-2019, 10:32 AM   #9

we usually make that trip in the fall. the only biting bugs i can recall encountering were at the Whitefish Point museum.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:44 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Don't let the bugs be a deterrent, but look at them as just an adventure.

Sounds like a great trip Chuck! In the UP we really enjoyed Munising Tourist Park Campground. Absolutely gorgeous views. This was taken right from our campsite.
Thanks Bigd9!

We've got an 8-day stop booked at Munising. Supposed to arrive there in late May, and push on in early June.

Regards.

Chuck
Old 04-11-2019, 10:53 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-OEM View Post
If we do go, sounds like I wont have any blood left at the end of the trip. (Or a marriage)

I will however with my last breath and keystroke give you the needed equipment / chemical list so my bones may be viewed on the side of the road with some reverence
Thanks X-OEM,

How much reverence will I need to bring with me to properly view your bones? I would tell a story about mosquitoes and a backwoods camping trip near Thunder Bay, but this is a family site. Let it suffice to say that there are parts of the body normally covered by clothing that didn't get the industrial strength repellent applied. After removal of said clothing (required for certain functions.....) there were hundreds of mosquito bites where..., well you get the idea.

So, I can't guarantee I will bring a lot of reverence with me, but will try! Heck, I can have fun even with the bugs of the north country.

Regards.

Chuck
Old 04-11-2019, 10:53 AM   #12

The best time for 'no bugs' in the Upper Peninsula is beginning in August and into Sept. - a wonderful time to be there.

We spent a July 4 weekend at Brevort Lake national forest campground sitting inside the RV. Bug spray didn't phase them!! We've been there other times in Aug/Sept & it was very pleasant.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 02:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
The best time for 'no bugs' in the Upper Peninsula is beginning in August and into Sept. - a wonderful time to be there.

We spent a July 4 weekend at Brevort Lake national forest campground sitting inside the RV. Bug spray didn't phase them!! We've been there other times in Aug/Sept & it was very pleasant.
I agree on late summer/early fall. Flies are normally gone by mid to late July, but you cannot depend on it.
Trekkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Thanks X-OEM,

How much reverence will I need to bring with me to properly view your bones? I would tell a story about mosquitoes and a backwoods camping trip near Thunder Bay, but this is a family site. Let it suffice to say that there are parts of the body normally covered by clothing that didn't get the industrial strength repellent applied. After removal of said clothing (required for certain functions.....) there were hundreds of mosquito bites where..., well you get the idea.

So, I can't guarantee I will bring a lot of reverence with me, but will try! Heck, I can have fun even with the bugs of the north country.

Regards.

Chuck

You will not need much reverence, maybe just a tip of the hat, and a "thanks Pilgrim" for blazing the trail.

Thanks for everyone's feedback here. I think I have decided to postpone the trip until the fall as suggested. I suspected that might be the case but expert opinions are better by far.

Not seeing my DW in one of those "net hats" would add quite a few years to my life expectancy