Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2021, 05:09 AM   #1
24D

Around the Zion tunnel

I will be coming from Yellowstone to Zion and we are too large, 45 ft, for the tunnel. We will be leaving Zion to go to Bryces, what roads take you around the tunnel and what is the best campground there for my journey? I have tried to search and Google for this, but can't find the info.
Thank you for your help
24D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2021, 06:25 AM   #2

With the construction this year not sure about tunnel size restrictions but in the past I have seen plenty of 45’ busses go through tunnel. They close for one way travel down the middle. To go around is no big deal just go north on hwy. 15 and pick a crossing point. There are several and google easily finds you to Bryce. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Old 05-10-2021, 07:06 AM   #3

We will be at Zion this year and then leaving there to head to Bryce. I have a CrewCab Dually (8' bed) and a 44' long 5th Wheel Toy Hauler. My chosen route from Zion to Bryce will be taking Rt 9 west over to Rt. 17 North an then getting onto Interstate 15 and continue north. At exit 95 from I-15, take the exit onto Rt. 20 and follow it all the way to Rt. 89 and turn south on 89. From there, follow Rt. 89 south until you reach Rt. 12 (about 15 miles) and then turn left onto Rt. 12 and over to Bryce.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
We will be at Zion this year and then leaving there to head to Bryce. I have a CrewCab Dually (8' bed) and a 44' long 5th Wheel Toy Hauler. My chosen route from Zion to Bryce will be taking Rt 9 west over to Rt. 17 North an then getting onto Interstate 15 and continue north. At exit 95 from I-15, take the exit onto Rt. 20 and follow it all the way to Rt. 89 and turn south on 89. From there, follow Rt. 89 south until you reach Rt. 12 (about 15 miles) and then turn left onto Rt. 12 and over to Bryce.
We drove our truck (not towing) thru the tunnel to Bryce last fall. Then we pulled our 5th wheel a week later following the route above. VERY glad that we did!!! Good roads the whole way. It's not just the tunnel, that route has numerous hairpin turns.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
We drove our truck (not towing) thru the tunnel to Bryce last fall. Then we pulled our 5th wheel a week later following the route above. VERY glad that we did!!! Good roads the whole way. It's not just the tunnel, that route has numerous hairpin turns.
Thank you for the affirmation on that route. Also, just curious...have you ever towed a large 5ver from Bryce on Rt. 12....all the way to Torrey?.....is that doable with my rig and how is that road? When we leave Bryce, we'll be heading over to Moab for a week or so.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:13 AM   #6

Hwy 12 Bryce to Torrey is one of the prettiest roads with eyeball bustin' scenery. However it seems to be one of those roads like 550 in Colorado Silverton to Ouray. People love it or wont take it because they are scared. There is only a few mile section along the hogback that scare people. However it is at least in my opinion no big deal. Rvs and big trucks use it everyday. Though I am also in the camp of 550 as being ho hum. Personally I would do it and not give it a second thought. Bryce to Escalante nothing at all. Just east of Escalante it starts the "bad part" yes there are a few twisties and some short steep hills without exceptionally wide shoulders but the scenery is spectacular. That section only lasts a few miles, less than 10. Once past that to Boulder is nothing. Leaving Boulder you go up and over Boulder Mountain typical mountain road, road is plenty good. Some great pull offs up toward the top on both the uphill and downhill side. From there down into Torrey nothing except downhill. Once in Torrey east on 24 through Capital Reef is fine then the slog out to Hanksville. The scenery changes to almost other worldly from The Reef to Hanksville. If you have the time I personally prefer taking 95 to the south and east to Blanding. The scenery is better though it is longer. Road is great. Along that route Hog Springs rest area with a great pictograph panel, then you have a great viewpoint looking over Lake Powell, the Dirty Devil River and Colorado River Bridges, Natural Bridges National Monument, the Bears Ears, Cedar Mesa, Butler wash, the Cockscomb then into Blanding and north on 191 to Moab. That will be a full day of driving but well worth it if you have the time. It is probably an extra 80 to 100 miles and an extra 90-120 minutes.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryG20 View Post
Hwy 12 Bryce to Torrey is one of the prettiest roads with eyeball bustin' scenery. However it seems to be one of those roads like 550 in Colorado Silverton to Ouray. People love it or wont take it because they are scared. There is only a few mile section along the hogback that scare people. However it is at least in my opinion no big deal. Rvs and big trucks use it everyday. Though I am also in the camp of 550 as being ho hum. Personally I would do it and not give it a second thought. Bryce to Escalante nothing at all. Just east of Escalante it starts the "bad part" yes there are a few twisties and some short steep hills without exceptionally wide shoulders but the scenery is spectacular. That section only lasts a few miles, less than 10. Once past that to Boulder is nothing. Leaving Boulder you go up and over Boulder Mountain typical mountain road, road is plenty good. Some great pull offs up toward the top on both the uphill and downhill side. From there down into Torrey nothing except downhill. Once in Torrey east on 24 through Capital Reef is fine then the slog out to Hanksville. The scenery changes to almost other worldly from The Reef to Hanksville. If you have the time I personally prefer taking 95 to the south and east to Blanding. The scenery is better though it is longer. Road is great. Along that route Hog Springs rest area with a great pictograph panel, then you have a great viewpoint looking over Lake Powell, the Dirty Devil River and Colorado River Bridges, Natural Bridges National Monument, the Bears Ears, Cedar Mesa, Butler wash, the Cockscomb then into Blanding and north on 191 to Moab. That will be a full day of driving but well worth it if you have the time. It is probably an extra 80 to 100 miles and an extra 90-120 minutes.
Thank you BarryG20 for that great response.....it was exactly the type of info I was looking for. We will likely just go ahead then and take the Rt. 12 to Torrey and then have to skip the southern route to Moab, as we will be on a schedule that probably will not permit it time wise. I do appreciate you input though, and hopefully we will be back to that area again at some point in the future....so I'll definitely keep that souther route in mind. Thanks again....I appreciate ya'.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
This route is highly recommended. Don't be tempted to take Hwy 14 across to 89 from I-15 rather than Hwy 20. You won't like 14.

You can easily do Hwy 12 to Torrey. Yes, you'll have about 10 mi of the 'scary' section for many but the highway is just as wide as the the previous miles you have driven. If you typically stay in your lane on pavement you won't have problems. The shoulders are minimal but you don't have to pull over during those 10 mi. Besides, there are a few dedicated pull-over spots that would be plenty wide if you're lucky that someone isn't using them. We've driven it often in both directions with our 40' MH.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 05:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
This route is highly recommended. Don't be tempted to take Hwy 14 across to 89 from I-15 rather than Hwy 20. You won't like 14.

You can easily do Hwy 12 to Torrey. Yes, you'll have about 10 mi of the 'scary' section for many but the highway is just as wide as the the previous miles you have driven. If you typically stay in your lane on pavement you won't have problems. The shoulders are minimal but you don't have to pull over during those 10 mi. Besides, there are a few dedicated pull-over spots that would be plenty wide if you're lucky that someone isn't using them. We've driven it often in both directions with our 40' MH.
Thank you for the additional input and confirmation. I think Rt. 12 is a go for us when we leave Bryce and head to Moab.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:58 PM   #10

This is a typical view from Highway 12 between Torrey and Boulder --and I did not take this photo. Be sure to stop at the signed scenic overlooks. One of the most spectacular roads I have ever taken.

Click For Full-Size Image.
Old 05-11-2021, 05:25 PM   #11

While I have never been out there, I have scoped out various routes and from Zion I would go back to LaVerkin, down to Hurricane and then 59 south east into Arizona where it becomes 389. I suggest this because on 389 passing thru the Kaibab reservation is Pipe Springs National Monument and located there is the Kaibab Paiute RV Park & Campground.

Kaibab Paiute Tribe RV Park and Campground

Which is a Good Sam and Passport America park and was #2 in the Campendium 5 star reviews nationwide in 2018. If you continue on 389 to Fredonia and then north on 89A to Kanab, there is the BLM visitor center which I understand is a good place to gather information about BLM lands and boondocking, dispersed camping, and hiking in the area.

https://www.blm.gov/visit/kanab-visitor-center

But, what do I know, haven't been out there yet.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
While I have never been out there, I have scoped out various routes and from Zion I would go back to LaVerkin, down to Hurricane and then 59 south east into Arizona where it becomes 389. I suggest this because on 389 passing thru the Kaibab reservation is Pipe Springs National Monument and located there is the Kaibab Paiute RV Park & Campground.

Kaibab Paiute Tribe RV Park and Campground

Which is a Good Sam and Passport America park and was #2 in the Campendium 5 star reviews nationwide in 2018. If you continue on 389 to Fredonia and then north on 89A to Kanab, there is the BLM visitor center which I understand is a good place to gather information about BLM lands and boondocking, dispersed camping, and hiking in the area.

https://www.blm.gov/visit/kanab-visitor-center

But, what do I know, haven't been out there yet.

Charles
Charles.....LOL....I haven't been out there yet either, but I've done a lot of researching on the roads/routes, etc. and my priority is the best route to 1. Safely be able to tow a 44' 5ver in the twisty mountainous terrain with it's steep grades up and down. 2. Scenic beauty. 3. Staying with my allotted time frame to travel from one N.P. to the next. When leaving Bryce and on my way to the Moab area, I'm going to choose the Rt 12 up to Torrey and then take Rt24 all the way to I70 East and then drop down to Moab.