Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2004, 11:36 AM   #1

I will be in Ashland area through the winter. From what I've read, it looks like Holiday RV Park would suit my needs best, but I'd like to hear from those that have actually been there. If you have any other recommendations, I'd be glad to hear them!

Many thanks,
Malia
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2004, 11:36 AM   #2

I will be in Ashland area through the winter. From what I've read, it looks like Holiday RV Park would suit my needs best, but I'd like to hear from those that have actually been there. If you have any other recommendations, I'd be glad to hear them!

Many thanks,
Malia
Old 10-18-2004, 01:01 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Malia;
You did not say what state. I am assuming you don't mean Ashland, Wi. They have lots of snow and cold.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 01:56 PM   #4

Hey Don & Bev,

Thanks for asking for clarification - and you are right to assume I'm not talking about Wisconsin. I'm talking Oregon here and while I've spent a good deal of time in Portland area, Ashland will be new territory for me. I understand surrounding mountains are covered in snow through winter, but rarely does it snow in town. I hope this info is correct. I've decided to stay up here because I still haven't seen Crater Lake, redwoods, and other parks on California Coast and it's too late in the season now.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any input!

Thanks,
Malia
Old 10-18-2004, 05:32 PM   #5

We too have never been to the Ashland area, but will be going there in April 2005. So we will be interested in your input after you stay there.

I looked up Holiday RV and noticed that Pear Tree RV is off the same exit, I-5 at Fern Valley Rd (exit #24), in the town of Phoenix, OR. Pear has fewer sites that Holiday, but offers pretty much the same amenities. An important item for us is noise. Holiday shows it is right next to the Freeway, while Pear shows a 1/4 mile off the freeway. If the noise doesn't bother you no problem, otherwise maybe a phone call to the RV parks may help(?)

Would appreciate your feedback after you decide zigzag@paris.com thanks, Steve & Terri

19' Scamp 5th wheel
Zigzag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 11:51 AM   #6

Hi Steve & Terri,

Maybe we'll run into each other since I plan to be there through the winter.

I have done some internet research and called a few of the parks, but thought I'd like to hear from those that have actually been there.

So far, though, this is what I've come up with:

Holiday RV Park sounds the best to me so far for a number of reasons. Their location between Medford and Ashland would be good for me because I'm not sure which town I'll be able to find work in. (I'm a paralegal who takes temp jobs to support my travel habit.) Their monthly rate of $425 includes everything, including wi-fi access (but only 1/3 of the park has this, so you have to specify that). I was a bit concerned about noise from freeway, too, but since doors & windows will be closed to the cold, I won't rule out based on that. I was also concerned about a posting I saw on campgroundreviews.com about this park. It said tight sites, bad entrance, low branches, etc. However, that was written in 1999 and I spoke to a very nice woman named Joyce at the park who said that is no longer true. They also have mostly 50 amp service.

Pear Tree Motel & RV Park - I'm always a little leery of this combo since it's usually just a parking lot in back of the motel, but I'll check this out more when I get there. Their rate is $420 a month, but they don't have any kind of internet access except a modem in the motel office that you can use. Telephone service is not available at the sites, either. Their web site is www.peartreemotel.com

American RV Park in Medford has rates of $450, but only have 20 and 30 amp hookups. Review of them in campgroundreviews.com in 2004 said it was very noisy with lots of long term trash tenants.

There is a KOA in Medford with rates of $300 with you paying for your own electricity. Generally I don't care much for KOA's but I have seen exceptions so will check them out when I get there.

Glenyan Campground sounds nice, but since it's so shady I was told there's no chance for satellite TV and that a lot of times even cell phones won't work from there. Their rate of $375 (includes all) doesn't make up for that or the fact that their location is not as good for me as the other ones.

So that's what I know so far. I'm glad that I'm going in the off season as I hate to make reservations sight unseen. All have said they have availability during that time frame, so I'm not worried about that at this point.

I will certainly keep you informed once I get there. If you hear anything interesting, let me know.

Thanks!
Malia
Old 10-21-2004, 02:56 PM   #7

Malia, Thanks for all the RV park information. We look forward to hearing from you after you have arrived in the area.

We will probably be staying around Ashland for 3 or 4 nights as we want to see a couple of the Shakespeare plays that are offered. Then we are heading for the Portland area.

Good luck on your job search, take care, S & T

19' Scamp 5th wheel
Zigzag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 06:14 AM   #8

I'll email you when I get in town. At this point it looks like it may not be until December 1 as the office where I'm working in Portland keeps making me offers to stay I can't refuse. (I'm temping for an assistant who won't be back until then). Anyway, I've spent quite a bit of time in Portland, so if you want info on campgrounds here, I'll be glad to provide my input. Have you been here before and if so, where have you stayed?

For some info on my last visit here, you can check out my web site:
http://www.MaliasRV.com

Happy trails!
Malia
Old 01-03-2005, 06:58 PM   #9

Hi
We travel up the I-5 corridor from Chico to Coburg quite often. We make Medford a stop because we love to shop the Harry and David outlet . We stay at the Pear Tree now. The first time we stayed at the Holiday; but felt it was kind of tight. To be fair; we haven't re-looked it over since 01. Both are near to the freeway and there is freeway noise; but it has never kept us awake at night. Safe travels.

travel with our Aussie, Rosie in our
cchall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 07:29 PM   #10

Hi Karl & Chris,

I had forgotten I had started this post here, so I'm glad you reminded me by your reply. It's funny you mentioned the Harry & David outlet. A friend I just met here said I can't miss that, so I will have to make that a "must-see" now.

Also funny how different people can see the same thing in completely different ways. I've been here at the Holiday RV Park since Dec. 20 and I think it's the best choice in the area. Pear Tree seems much closer to the highway, in fact, right on it, but most of the sites at Holiday are buffered back farther away so that the highway is not seen. It's cold and my windows are closed, so I don't hear the highway noise at all. I have a 36' motor home with 2 slides and I've been in a lot tighter spots, so this one feels spacious enough for me and it didn't seem like Pear Tree's spots were any wider.

Oh well, a perfect example of perception being reality and different strokes for different folks, right?

If anyone else has any questions, please feel free to ask. It's quite beautiful here in southern Oregon - a light dusting of snow on the mountains, cold but clear skies most of the time, something I really missed while in Portland.

Thanks for the response and happy trails to you!

Malia