Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2022, 04:51 PM   #29

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Jetty Park is now TBD for our return.

I canceled my stay with them and booked at Seasons in The Sun, in Mims. They have a nice pool and hot tub.
Good to hear you got a spot. While in that area check out...

> Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge
> Blackpoint nature drive
> Biolab Drive
> Playalinda Beach (Cape Canaveral National Seashore) Good view of the Artemis rocket from here.
> Haul-Over Canal to see some manatees (on Hwy 3)
> and don't forget Twisty Treat for some good ice cream (on US1 in Mims)

Hopefully most of these places are open after the storm.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2022, 05:39 PM   #30

Done everything except the ice cream shop.

Been stopping in the area since 2010, back when I was boating up and down the east coast.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 02:42 PM   #31

I wish could give you some help but I’m in the center of the country. Hopefully you find or have found a safe place. Good luck.
Old 11-13-2022, 03:01 PM   #32

They are closed due to storm but will be open next Wednesday the 16th of November. My reservation is still good for the following Sunday the 20th for only two nights as they were full.
ronboatplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 03:25 PM   #33

We had planned trip to Florida state forest day after Nicole’s hasty exit from state. Received message that all reservations were scrapped and refunded. Have no basis in fact but I’m thinking that all county and state parks have adopted this philosophy to limit liability and to keep campers out of harms way.
Passingas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 03:30 PM   #34

It is the policy of the Florida State Forests (and probably State Parks) to cancel an entire reservation, with full refund, if there is a tropical storm warning in the area where the State campground is located. This just happened near the west side of Florida last Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday nights. Saturday I was in the Withlacooche State Forests near Brooksville Florida. It was morning and the campgrounds were empty which you almost never see. The State Forest, through Reserve America, was just taking new reservations and plenty of spots were available. The problem this causes is for those with original reservations that included Saturday plus any number of following days of that same reservation, be it Sunday, Monday, etc. lost their spot, and unless they immediately made new reservations when the system re-opened, they are out of luck. For people just arriving and looking for a new reservation, it was great, but for those who got cancelled out due to the storm, it might not have worked out so well. I'm guessing the State was concerned for the safety of campers due to flooding or falling tree branches. They certainly don't want to incur any liability as well.
Old 11-13-2022, 03:31 PM   #35

Doesn"t sound personal to me,i would load up and head for High ground and worry about refunds ect. later., Been There Done That..... Good Luck
BOSTONBERNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 03:46 PM   #36

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Kicked out

We’ve never been asked to leave a campground before, but we have been left with 12” of water to contend with. If you are being told to leave, it’s probably good advice.
Papaslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 03:52 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
We tried to stay at Jetty Park CG at the Canaveral Cruise Port a few years ago but a storm came in and damaged it, so the let us know. That time, we had time to make new plans.

We made a reservation for 2 week, 6 months ago. We have been here 3 days and they called and said get out due the the coming storm. Said we may be able to come back on the 12th.

Good thing we dry camp often, rest areas and truck stops may be our home for a few days.

Trying to find an in-land CG until our next 2 week reservation.
Try Christmas RV Park on Rt 50 SW of Titusville.
Deerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 04:01 PM   #38

There is a lot of notice given of possible hurricane tracking well in advance of a storm. As a 40 year resident of Florida and now a full time RVer not in Florida during the Hurricane season, you need to be weather aware .We went through 3 storms in 2004. Blaming others for not enough notice of an approaching storm is a failure on your part to pay attention. We check what county we're in and where we are in that county when a tornado warning comes along. We have had to seek shelter several times while at RV parks in Alabama over the last few years. Some parks don't have a substantial building so we had to locate alternatives. Some parks have built in storm shelters. Take responsibility for yourselves and your rig. From Jetty park the direction to go to get away from the storm that I would take is South or Southwest if I had to leave at the last minute.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 11-14-2022, 04:15 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredV View Post
There is a lot of notice given of possible hurricane tracking well in advance of a storm. As a 40 year resident of Florida and now a full time RVer not in Florida during the Hurricane season, you need to be weather aware .We went through 3 storms in 2004. Blaming others for not enough notice of an approaching storm is a failure on your part to pay attention. We check what county we're in and where we are in that county when a tornado warning comes along. We have had to seek shelter several times while at RV parks in Alabama over the last few years. Some parks don't have a substantial building so we had to locate alternatives. Some parks have built in storm shelters. Take responsibility for yourselves and your rig. From Jetty park the direction to go to get away from the storm that I would take is South or Southwest if I had to leave at the last minute.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Good advice.

I agree that getting away from hurricaes with a RV shouldn't be all that hard.

However sometimes it's better to be lucky than smart. 2 of the last 3 hurricanes (Sandy, Dorien and Nichole) that I have been though, I wound up being in the eye because though pretty good, sometimes the forecasts are just off enough to mislead you. Like a good fake right, run left.

Sandy was when I was living on my boat in Jersey.... decided to move to a good hurricane hole I spotted and it turned out to be 30 miles north of my marina and directly in the eye as Sandy came ashore. Lucky the storm was barely a CAT 1 (wind strength) when it hit. It was that unpredicted turn the weather guys couldn't figure out and being a boat only 2 ways to get away that I made a decision that could have been bad...but I was lucky.
For Dorien, I was living on my boat in N. Myrtle Beach. Fortunately I had just bought a motorhome so I secured the boat and drove 60 miles inland and hunkered down in a Pilot truck stop for 24 hours. Well outside the hurricane force wind field.

With Nichole, just in the last 48 hours, its forecast path jogged north 80 or so miles, then jogged south 60 or so then back north 50 or so. Plus the intensity was up and down for landfall...which seems to be the least predictable component of hurricane forecasts. I wound up staying put with storm prep and got "lucky" it did come on pretty straight or slightly to the north so the winds never seemed to get to hurricane force as we were about 3 miles inland.

The seemingly low intensity and last minute jogs convinced me not to leave during a safe window, but when it jogged back, the gusty winds were already on us at about the 36 hour window when I was going to leave. The decision where to go though was southwest out to the far side of Lake Okeechobee as FredV also suggested.
Psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 05:21 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronboatplane View Post
They are closed due to storm but will be open next Wednesday the 16th of November. My reservation is still good for the following Sunday the 20th for only two nights as they were full.
My stay was until the 17th. Glad a moved on.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote