Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2018, 06:00 PM   #1

Atlanta to Lancaster PA

Lancaster sounds like an interesting destination, but I’m concerned about the sheer numbers of tourists being a problem. We would visit in June, if we come.
Are the crowds an issue, and are low clearance bridges a problem in the area? Are there shuttles or tour buses to and from Philly?
davidb104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2018, 06:16 PM   #2

What dates are you going? It’s a great place with some very nice campgrounds.
Regarding bridges it’s about the same as everywhere else. Some small bridges and some covered bridges but there’s fair warning.
To get to philly you can hop the train and you’ll end up in center city.
hivoltage98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidb104 View Post
Lancaster sounds like an interesting destination, but I’m concerned about the sheer numbers of tourists being a problem. We would visit in June, if we come.
Are the crowds an issue, and are low clearance bridges a problem in the area? Are there shuttles or tour buses to and from Philly?
Hey, we live in Lancaster. Generally speaking the only low clearances you're going to find are covered bridges, but they are not on main roads; as hivoltage98 says, otherwise it's pretty much like anywhere else. There's a 10'4" Amtrak underpass about a mile from my house, but it's a road you wouldn't normally take.

FWIW, tourist season has already begun. Some of the high-interest tourist sites will be crowded in June, and traffic can get backed up in some places. We locals know where and try to avoid by using back roads where possible. Once you're here, tour buses may not be a bad idea - check with your campground or whatever. Personally I don't see big crowds as a problem. There are so many tourist venues around here that it's pretty well spread out. I could list like 20 things you might like to see or do, and I'd only be scratching the surface.

Philly is a little too far for easy commuting. Again, hivoltage98 has it right: Amtrak takes you right into the city. Driving into Philly can be a challenge, just like any big city, so the train is a good idea. You can get off the train in easy walking distance from stuff like the Liberty Bell.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:09 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I too live in Lancaster County. The one place that is a 'must see' is Sight and Sound. Its on rt 896 a couple miles south of rt 30 near Strasburg. My wife and most people love the shows there.
Now for me, I'd rather have root canal done.

Jesus is playing there this year. Other locals say it's great.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryl View Post
I too live in Lancaster County. The one place that is a 'must see' is Sight and Sound. Its on rt 896 a couple miles south of rt 30 near Strasburg. My wife and most people love the shows there.
Now for me, I'd rather have root canal done.

Jesus is playing there this year. Other locals say it's great.
That Jesus guy, he's everywhere.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:55 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Can't answer your question but wanted to say hello!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:03 AM   #7

Lancaster

Thank you for the prompt replies. We hope to be there by mid-June. We’re debating whether Philly is really worth the effort.

We are interested in a visit to Gettysburg, and would like to know whether a day trip from Lancaster is a good idea, or whether there’s too much to see for a day trip.

I notice that there are a couple of theater opportunities in Lancaster that seem to be highly rated. Comments?
Old 03-13-2018, 08:23 AM   #8

Depending on how much time you have do Gettysburg on the way up or back. There are a couple of good campgrounds close by. You need a toad in town and a day to see it. US 15 has been superslabbed through that area or you can get over to I-81 depending on how you want to go through there. We do 15 for other reasons when we head south. Mostly nice road.

I have been to the Liberty Bell twice. Once in the 1970's and once in the early 2000's. Totally different experiences because of how the NPS has changed the area. If you can get a train into close proximity I would say it is really worth a day if you like history. Driving there is a pain.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Thank you for the prompt replies. We hope to be there by mid-June. We’re debating whether Philly is really worth the effort.

We are interested in a visit to Gettysburg, and would like to know whether a day trip from Lancaster is a good idea, or whether there’s too much to see for a day trip.

I notice that there are a couple of theater opportunities in Lancaster that seem to be highly rated. Comments?
Well, you can see a lot of Gettysburg, and certainly tour the battlefield, in just one day. It might be worth a couple of days. G-burg is about 60 miles from Lancaster, probably about 90 minute drive.

Theaters? You've most likely heard of Sight and Sound Theater. Right now they're showing "Jesus" (they do Bible-based shows). Maybe you've also heard of American Music Theater, which leans toward 'pop' shows. Or perhaps Lancaster's Fulton Opera House.

Good luck!

Roger
Old 03-14-2018, 03:37 PM   #10

I really appreciate all of the information. I looked at routes from Atlanta, and the site recommended I-81 to the Harrisburg area, then 283 SE to Lancaster. Is that the preferred route, or should I cut across from I-82 on US 30, through Gettysburg and York?
Old 03-14-2018, 09:29 PM   #11

Quote:
I really appreciate all of the information. I looked at routes from Atlanta, and the site recommended I-81 to the Harrisburg area, then 283 SE to Lancaster. Is that the preferred route, or should I cut across from I-82 on US 30, through Gettysburg and York?
Frankly it doesn't make much difference which route you take. Harrisburg will be somewhat faster, while going through Gettysburg and York is somewhat shorter distance. Gettysburg is a fairly small town with 2-lane roads, traffic lights, etc. York is 4-lane with many traffic lights, and is subject to noticeable backups on weekdays. OTOH, if you hit Harrisburg at rush hour you'll find plenty of backup there. So try to avoid rush hour no matter which way you go.

Roger
Old 03-17-2018, 07:37 PM   #12

If you are thinking of visiting Gettysburg... Camp there a day or two then head to Lancaster.. I find heading off 81 in Winchester to 340 to 15 will put u in gettysburg pretty well... 81 just seems to drag north of Winchester into pa
nellieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:53 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us. You're gonna like it here.

We go to Lancaster at least once a year. It's a fun place with a lot to do.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 01:21 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If the weather continues like it has here in Lancaster county, you might want to bring your snow tire chains and winter clothes.