Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2017, 07:10 AM   #15

Like many of the previous replies, we aim at 300-350 miles per day if we are trying to get from point A to B. Planned stops can affect daily distances. I usually set the cruise control st 60-62.

We just returned home from five months in South Texas, 1225 miles one way. Took us 11 days to get down there with planned stops and activities, and 4 days to get home.
BillL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2017, 09:06 AM   #16

We got the class A so we wouldn't have to stop as much with 4 kids. We travel for race events a couple times a year where we need to get there by a certain time. Last trip we did 550 miles in the evening after we were all at work and school for the day. We only stop for a quick driver exchange. Fuel range is around 900 miles so we only do that if it corresponds with a stop and we feel like a stretch. We tend to cruise about 70-75, which seems to be a sweet spot for climbing hills in 6th gear.
LPerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:52 PM   #17

I think you will get a bi-modal distribution, once the non-retirees add in. With limited vacation time you have incentive to drive longer days and more miles. Get to the destination sooner.

For me it also depends on purpose for the trip. If seeing things along the way, then less miles each day. If just getting to the destination, I can do 500-600. Those are not exactly enjoyable days though, just driving all day is not the funnest thing to do. I have done 900-1000 with my pickup truck and car trailer when on a deadline, but the MH tends to be 650 max. I prefer less around 300-400 if I can afford the time. I tend to cruise 72-73 mph which seems a nice speed for my MH.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:00 PM   #18

I typically like to figure 350 miles max, but I have had to travel further upon necessity. I have gone as far as 460, I just prefer less.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
Curious what others adopt as being the number of miles/distance they tend to drive per day in between waypoints enroute to their intended destination, i.e. special events, campsites/RV parks when making a long distance trip/tour?

For daily relocations (point to point driving), We always factor in a number of pet stops and/or others stops just to stretch and get some fresh air when traveling between waypoints/sites and typically try to limit our daily distance between 250-300(max) miles which in turn results in anywhere from 5-8 hrs per day behind the wheel, the lessor being the preference.

That really depends upon what part of the country you are in. It works for the northeast and places like Florida. Your max of 300 'doesn't get you very far' in many other places.

I do limit my max to 450 miles. If you are going from Austin Tx to Tucson that is 900 miles. That would mean a overnight outside of El Paso, Tx.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:09 PM   #20

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Average 400 per day.
Once retired, hope to reduce that to 300 or less.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:16 PM   #21

Foretravel Owners Club
For us it just depends on whether we are "on vacation" or I have a set destination/appointment.
Vacation (DW isn't quite "retired" just yet) so will limit to 200 to 300 miles.
On a set destination/appointment(s) I "Put the "B" in the wind" so to speak.
This weekend (4-8-17) will cover a bit over 2100 miles in 3 days..Just a normal day of driving for a PROFESSIONAL DRIVER.... but this is not recommended nor encouraged for anyone else to try to do....
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:20 PM   #22

we tend to average 4-hrs of actual driving which usually makes for a 6-hr day. we like to be in the overnight spot by 4pm.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:26 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
We are also of the 250 or less a day traveler. We try to keep our "drive time" which includes fuel and lunch stops to a max of 8 hours but usually 6-7 hours. We try to be into camp by 3-4PM daily so we have time to relax.

momdoc
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 03:39 PM   #24

Retired and we like to do no more than 250 miles per day and sometime a lot less than that. We prefer to depart around 9:00 am and be parked no later than 3:00 pm. And if possible, we try not to drive more than a couple days in a row. It is just not the destination for us, the journey counts too.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:58 PM   #25

It's always different as we are in Los Angeles and a 130 mile drive can take 5 hours.
Once a fee hours out of town 5 to 7 hours. I plan short and long day overnight.
DW thinks 3 hours is a long drive but depending on where we leave we might not even make it to the freeway
Old 04-05-2017, 06:54 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Under 400 is my rule when traveling for pleasure, as much under 400 as stops at desirable locations will allow. We make the journey part of the vacation and usually stay at most locations for four nights.

I have done 1200 miles in the RV with only a 90 minute nap at a rest stop but that involved the need to get home rapidly for a family situation.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:33 PM   #27

My wife and I got back a little over a week ago from our first serious lengthy trip in our Class A MH. My experience was that 300-350 was the max that I wanted to do. I really enjoyed it when we did 200-250. That got us into camp in plenty of time to settle in and relax before going to bed.

We were gone over ten weeks, and we did have four different days that we did over 400-450, but those were in instances were there wasn't much between stops (they were from Tucson to Van Horn, Texas, and then from there to San Antonio, and later in the trip, from Ft. Smith, AK to Amarillo, and then from there to Denver, which is home).

I try to stay at 60 mph and with stops, we probably average 50 mph.
BernieCheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:27 PM   #28

I like others, it depends upon quite a few factors. I try & map out our stops along the way before we leave. I'm not full time retired quite yet. I don't work on Fridays so that does give us longer weekends. Heading to Tucson this weekend. Will drive to Quartzsite after work on Thursday to over night That's 120 miles. Hope to be in Tucson before noon on Friday. That's 240 miles. Come home on Sunday that will be the long 360 mile day.
If I had to come up with a overall average I can say it has been going down as I get older.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote