Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2017, 02:02 PM   #1

AZ & TX Windy during Winter Areas?

We're about to pull the trigger on our 1st Winter down south reservations.
We have a couple of questions before we commit.
I thought that I read of it being too windy along the TX gulf coast and in the RGV? Also in the Casa Grande, AZ area? Other AZ or TX areas extra windy?
Any info you could share would be great.
ShinySideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2017, 03:28 PM   #2

Been windy in AZ for past couple weeks. Long range forecast is great
outlaw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:41 PM   #3

You're correct that the Rio Grande Valley has wind and also Casa Grande. We've been in two horrific, scary dust storms on I-10 around Casa Grande during December and also in February. Typically though, winter is not windy for Arizona although there will be some days - just like everywhere. You'll find more wind in March/April and during the summer.

Tucson is very nice as is the far east edge of the greater Phoenix area at Apache Junction. Lost Dutchman State Park is an absolute winner, especially in Feb/March for the wildflowers. Some dry sites, partial hookups and full hookups but only for 2 weeks. The Maricopa County park system have about five wonderful campgrounds throughout the greater area. Usery and McDowell Mountain are our favorites. We haven't experienced the entire past 2 weeks as windy. Some days were breezy and this past weekend windy with a nice soft much-needed rain but not windy every day.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:33 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to JIMBO34PA Send a message via Yahoo to JIMBO34PA
wind

we spent December and January in Tucson, all in all very nice weather , a few days of rain.and a few windy days but the weather always seemed to stop short of Tucson or go east . Just left San Antonio saturday and just missed the tornadoes, talk about wind
Old 02-21-2017, 12:17 AM   #5

Texas is a big place, in my experience the worst part of Texas for wind is the western part of the state roughly along I-10 west of Kerrville, there is a reason you see wind farms around there, dust devils are also common (mini tornadoes that can push you off the road if the sneak up on you from a blind spot, I got caught by one about 20 years ago, blindsided going over the ridge between Alpine and Marfa in a class B camper van, somehow I kept it on the road)
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:36 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
The wind always blows on the Texas coast. It blows most of the time in west Texas (born and raised in west Texas). Like Goldie Locks said, the Texas Hill Country is just right (lived here for 38 years). We've had about a dozen nights barely below freezing this year.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:24 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Over the last two weeks we have been driving from Texas and now in western New Mexico and we have had WIND some pretty strong for the last two weeks. Makes driving a challenge at times. We planned travel days on less windy days.

momdoc
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:30 AM   #8

Thank you all so much for sharing your info. It sounds like it's a bit like gambling in some areas. Ugh.....we are at the point I just want to make a decision and call it done. If we don't like an area, we'll know not to go there the following years!
ShinySideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:38 AM   #9

OP: What areas in Arizona are you considering?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:06 PM   #10

In general I find the wind in coastal Texas less intense than the wind out in west Texas, it also seems to be a bit more variable depending on time of day.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter