Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #1

Baja, Mexico

Have always wanted to go to Baja for the winter. Has anyone done this? If so, what are the concerns, if any? Insurance issues? Fuel? Health care? Etc. Thanks.
F117plt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2013, 06:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by F117plt View Post
Have always wanted to go to Baja for the winter. Has anyone done this? If so, what are the concerns, if any? Insurance issues? Fuel? Health care? Etc. Thanks.
Never done that, nor would I ever consider it. Mexico is a big liability on all fronts. You name it, it's a concern. Several friends of mine just returned from Mexico, they go every year, have for many years. This was their last trip, too many problems with locals, and LE scamming them, they were very lucky to get back. Can't go into details, but Mexico is a very dangerous country for Americans right now, especially driving a "look at me, I have money motorhome". I'd bet good money someone would plant a few pounds of something on your rig and then call LE, I'd win that bet. It's their new scam and it works quite well, the attorneys, LE and locals are all in on it, and all get a cut of the ransom "Legal" fees.

We live close to the border and have made many trips south until about 4 years ago, no longer even consider it remotely safe. Good luck what ever you decide.

Just my opinion, I'm sure others disagree but not worth the risk in my book.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Fly in, have fun at the touristy hotels and hot spots, fly out.

Cancun and Puerto Vallarta are my two favorites.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:41 PM   #4

My current insurance does not cover my vehicles in Mexico. I can get special coverage, but I don't know the cost - never asked. Have been to border towns by taxi and other places such as Mexico City, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta by air several times but I have no plans to take an expensive RV there.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Fly in, have fun at the touristy hotels and hot spots, fly out.

Cancun and Puerto Vallarta are my two favorites.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
That's exactly where the trouble is, at the 4 and 5 star resorts, in the hotel rooms are where they set you up. The room staff, hotel LE and local LE make money by the cleaning staff planting drugs in your rooms. I know it sounds crazy but it happened to three different families totally separate from each other, they didn't know each other but this happened all within a six week span. One family was detained at the airport, small children and all.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:52 PM   #6

Many people RV to Mexico. You might want to check in on this forum:

Woodalls Open Roads Forum: RVing in Mexico and South America

Vehicle insurance is very reasonable but you definitely need it. Plenty of fuel is available. Concerns: for the first time you might consider driving down with an experienced person. Many think it's absolutely safe but you need to know the basics.

Mike and Terri Church go all the time and they have written a very helpful book on doing so in an RV. It's available online.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #7

Probably more constructive to get advice from those who DO go south rather than those who don't.
In my three months wandering the highways and back roads we never had the slightest problems and had nothing but good assistance and advice from ordinary locals and all branches of the police and army.
Certainly no hesitation in doing it again when the climate and out timetable make it possible
Old 10-25-2013, 11:17 PM   #8

Sorry for my input, it's obvious my travels to Mexico and advice from my Mexican American friends to never go back wasn't well received, please ignore my comments. Good luck, I'm sure it's safe.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:40 PM   #9

We go all the time from Ensenada to La Paz, at least 3 times a year. Its a wonderful time, remarkably hospitable people and a fun adventure. Its not the U.S.A. definitely. The crime rate is dramatically lower than in Sacramento, Los Angeles, San Diego, Phoenix, etc. if you get south of Tijuana and stay north of Cabo. If staying in Cabo in an RV park you'll be fine as well, unless you get drunk & stupid & crazy at night.

There is pilferage if you leave stuff laying around. When you are in a country where people have very little and an opportunity that you allowed, guess what will happen. But the majority of the Baja peninsula is fun, peaceful, and a hoot.

Do some study, get the AAA travel book on Baja (best road guide and has been for 30 years), take your sense of adventure and enjoy. For an even better time, learn some Spanish & use it. Learning a new language is great for your memory skills.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:45 AM   #10

usinvestment might try and provide some information that is first hand not rumors and "my friend " stuff. I don't want to send people to a competing forum but RV.net has an active Mexico forum where you can get good answers to all your questions from RV'rs who know Mexico.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #11

Baja is fairly safe south of Mulege. Have a friend who leaves in October to camp on the beach near just south of Mulege (we were in 4/503rd Prcht Infantry, 173rd Abn Bde). Actually, you are fairly safe once you get 50 or so miles south of Ensenda. The RV parks are quite safe and beach camping is not bad if there are a few rigs together.

Mainland Mexico is fairly safe traveling on the toll roads. We overnight at Pemex all-night trucker fuel stations.
Reed and Elaine
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote