Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2019, 09:59 AM   #1

Balloon Fiesta 2020

Went on line this morning as soon as RV sites were available. There site was froze up till 11:28. By then all camping was full except North and did not feel like paying 100 a day for dry camping. Hard to believe. So if anyone got lucky and changes mind need 2 south field sites. Work on a crew but might have to pass 2020 by.
55stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2019, 10:38 AM   #2

Geez what a negative attitude. Just where are you trying to camp? I doubt that all commercial campgrounds are full and unless you are looking at the Florida Keys or some other premium spot the prices won't be $100/day. We never pay more than $30-40/day for commercial. Boondocking sites are free, Corp of Engineers sites can usually be found during the week and are cheap. Learn to use more tools there are many of them. Not all campgrounds show up on reserveamerica.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agesilaus View Post
Geez what a negative attitude. Just where are you trying to camp? I doubt that all commercial campgrounds are full and unless you are looking at the Florida Keys or some other premium spot the prices won't be $100/day. We never pay more than $30-40/day for commercial. Boondocking sites are free, Corp of Engineers sites can usually be found during the week and are cheap. Learn to use more tools there are many of them. Not all campgrounds show up on reserveamerica.
We're talking about the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta in Oct. 2020. It doesn't surprise me that the Fiesta grounds are full. It's a VERY popular thing.

Even as far away as Santa Fe, the RV parks upp their fees during this 2-week period.

We've alway stayed in the South dry camping area and love it. The balloons land right in front of us.

OP: Do you belong to any group that you may join them? We went in with the Escapees Boomer's group. They reserved a block of sites at one time. We also crewed on a balloon.... fantastic experience.

Staying off-site makes it a pain to drive to the Fiesta - massive crowds, parking and many streets are closed off. Once in you can't leave until specific times. It really is a BIG thing!!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:13 AM   #4

Triple E Owners Club
And which Balloon Festival are you referring to ? The one in... a) Lakeland Florida , or b) in Sussex New Brunswick Canada , or c) Winthrop, Washington , or d) St. Jean Richelieu Quebec , or e) Lake George NY , or perhaps f) Albuquerque New Mexico , or g) Lake Havasu Arizona …. and the list goes on.
Lineman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:33 AM   #5

The one and only that doesn't need to be mentioned by name. And by the way, he did.
Albuquerque [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji41][emoji6]
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:30 PM   #6

Here's a notice that I just received from another group other than the 'Boomers' who we go with:

Note: Non-Escapees members are welcome to attend, too. We’d love to have you!

There is a $50.00 charge for nonmembers on land HOPs. However, if you join Escapees, the $50.00 will be waived.

To join the Escapees RV Club, please call 936-327-8873.

To register for this HOP, contact:

The HOP Department

936-327-8873

For more information, email registration@escapees.com

Confirmation email

Once registered, a confirmation notification will be sent via email regarding pertinent information, such as RV Park address, tour dates, times, etc.

Please, make sure Escapees has your current email address on file. If you do not receive it, please check your spam files, or email us at: registration@escapees.com.

Trip cancellation and interruption Insurance

We highly suggest that you protect your investment on this HOP by purchasing trip insurance.

If you or a family member has a pre-existing medical condition, you might consider purchasing cancellation insurance. Insurance can also help with covering other unexpected emergencies while on the trip.

You can get more information about this insurance, such as pricing and coverage, by calling the Escapees Travel Agency, 855-757-8881, or email them at: eta@escapees.com. This insurance should be purchased within 10 business days of registering for the HOP.

HOP Cancellation Policy

If an attendee cancels a HOP,

• 1 Business Day from Booking: Full Refund

· More Than 90 Days to the event: 75% Refund

· 30 – 90 Days to the event: 25% Refund

· 30 Days or Less to the event: No Refunds

See you at the HOP!

Lisa Koca

HOP Director

Head Out Program · Escapees RV Club
www.facebook.com/escapeesrvclub
then, click on the event page
Old 10-22-2019, 06:49 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I got thru about 6 min after the opening and all electric sites were gone so got on a waiting list. It’s crazy I clicked right at 9 mdt and sites were sold.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:39 PM   #8

I tried for 30 minutes to get on starting at 8:55AM, using three different devices on three separate networks! There's got to be a better way for them to run this event. In my opinion, this whole process could be easily avoided.

I think the central issue is that it's largely run by volunteers who are overwhelmed and treading water.

I have some ideas that could straighten things out and make it easier for return visitors, but I suppose as long as I can find my way in I'll just keep my mouth shut...
swavescatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:41 PM   #9

Guess this is a rant. Talked to escapees .They get 1350.00 for a site that cost them 360.00. Do get some breakfast and dinner meals and tickets to fiesta but being we work on a crew and get free admission and are on the field during the times they are served just makes no sense. By the way we stay in Keys during winter so used to high price. Have no interest in staying off site and fighting traffic. Hard enough chasing a balloon.
55stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:45 PM   #10

Well... I see the Escapees group is also booked.

On the Fiesta web site it states that even the wait list is cut off due to so many on it!

Guess the word is out on that awesome Fiesta!!
Old 10-26-2019, 05:31 PM   #11

I see someone mentioned one in Lakeland Florida. We’ve always wanted to go to one and are going to the Daytona 500 which is 2 weeks before so we’ll be in the area. Has anyone been to it to give us a report. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:19 AM   #12

I haven't been to that one but I did go to one near Ocala FL, the called it a "Balloon Lighting". And frankly it was a slow, drawn out bore. You wait for it to get dark enough, then they have to decide if it is too windy..another 30 minutes wait, then you wait for them to slowly fill the balloons, then they start to lift and they light it up after a looong time they finally lift off. The main problem was that there just weren't that many balloons participating, maybe 8 or 10. If they had 40 or 50 then it may have been more visually impressive.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 01:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agesilaus View Post
I haven't been to that one but I did go to one near Ocala FL, the called it a "Balloon Lighting". And frankly it was a slow, drawn out bore. You wait for it to get dark enough, then they have to decide if it is too windy..another 30 minutes wait, then you wait for them to slowly fill the balloons, then they start to lift and they light it up after a looong time they finally lift off. The main problem was that there just weren't that many balloons participating, maybe 8 or 10. If they had 40 or 50 then it may have been more visually impressive.
That's why if you are going to be in the area of Albuquerque's in Oct. it's an awesome one to attend and one day doesn't do it justice.... especially in case of inclement weather. Here you can walk among the hundreds of balloons as they prepare (or get on a crew team - easy to do). We've been to others around the country but they don't come close to comparing.