Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2014, 10:07 PM   #1

Bandon, OR south to Napa, San Jose advice

First to those that helped with questions about touring the Washington and Oregon coast, and Columbia River Gorge a big thank you!

Well, we are route planned to Bandon, Or, September 29th to (??); (Crater Lake has been seen).

Now down the coast to N. California:

We could use help planning when to leave the coast, for inland sightseeing and possible looping back to the coast to allow both coastal and inland touring.

1. Bandon to McKinleyville, then loop NE on 96 to Yreka, south on 3 or 5 to Redding and back east to the coast, or,

2. Just stay on the coast

2. Recommendations south of Leggett/Cummings, CA: Hwy. 1 along the coast, or, 101/20/29 thru Napa?

Thanks!
henboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2014, 01:58 PM   #2

First thing that comes to mind is what kind of rig are you in?
(1. 101 from Bandon to McK is a major highway and should not be an issue. Presuming you will be taking 299 to 96, there's a major grade you will be pulling. Once again, a major road though. We have always come from Redding to the coast, so I can't give you much regarding 3 or 96 except to say that I believe 3 has vehicular restrictions coming from the north to Trinity Lake. Both of those look like the kind of road I explore using the dinghy.
(2. I will never take 1 south from Leggett again. The second time I did it because I didn't think it could be as bad as I remembered. It was. We now head west on 20 out of Willits but get off 1 at 116 to head inland.
As you head south from Bandon, we loved the jet boat tour of the Rogue River out of Gold Beach. I love the redwoods. Will likely spend a month in the area this spring. Prairie Creek is awesome north of Orick. You'll have to take a parallel road to 101. The road in the park that heads to the coast is doable (in good condition) with a 2wd sedan, but not in an RV of any real size. I think they recommend 4wd. I recommend it highly. West of Garberville is Shelter Cove. There's an RV park there but there were numerous signs warning of fatalities in RV's descending the grade. And destroyed transmissions. We took the dinghy to try their famous fish and chips. Awesome!
We've stayed at both Sounds of the Sea in Trinidad and Mad River in Arcata. Both very good. Further south Ancient Redwoods is one of my favorite RV parks. (I should mention we prefer the high end full hook up non-party facilities.). Golden Rule RV in Willits was a bit more rustic but is on the ranch where Seabiscuit lived. Very cool! If you head to Redding, their are a number of good parks, but we use Premier.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:21 PM   #3

Thanks..I will study the routes and activities you mentioned.

Pulling a 23' with a Chevy Express G2500
Old 08-28-2014, 02:30 PM   #4

Are you saying Route 1 south of Leggett is OK if you get off at 116 and go inland??
Old 08-29-2014, 12:13 PM   #5

We've used 116 to go inland when we wanted to maximize our time along the coast. And, considering the time of year and the size of your rig, their will be a lot of great public parks you can access from Bandon south now that the summer onslaught has subsided. Though I would still recommend going west at Willits, your rig could handle taking 1 at Leggett. But I will share with you that the last time I did it was in a 26' Class C and it was just not worth it.

What we usually do is come over from Redding to Trinidad. We park the motorhome there and take the dinghy as far north as Crescent City. We then head south in the RV. Before we retired, we were heading to So Cal. Easiest place to do that is 20 going along the eastern side of Clear Lake to get back to 5. 116 was only if we wanted to get to Bodega Bay. If you remember the Hitchcock movie, "The Birds," it was filmed there.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:13 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by henboy View Post
Now down the coast to N. California:

2. Recommendations south of Leggett/Cummings, CA: Hwy. 1 along the coast, or, 101/20/29 thru Napa?

Thanks!
If it were me I would not get on HWY1 anywhere in northern California with a RV. I would take 101 down to 116 and 12 to Napa. I've don that with my RV. From Napa to San Jose I'd suggest 29 south to Vallejo and pick up I-780 to I-680.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:55 PM   #7

Hwy1 south of Leggett can be done, just depends on how much pucker factor your willing to take on. Seriously. It's can be an extremely twisty & slow going through multiple hairpins on the coastal cliffs in spots. Other areas are no problem. Slides can be an issue at any time. There are some seriously nice campgrounds along the coast, many with length restrictions though.

Salt Point State Park north of Bodega Bay is one that is super nice, quiet nice locale just off the beach. Great staff when we were there.
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:19 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Better check out the Happy Camp complex fire around Northern California before your trip!
Oregon Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:25 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Duck View Post
Better check out the Happy Camp complex fire around Northern California before your trip!
I agree - 96 is a problem with mandatory evacuations on both sides because of the fires. Traveling south on I-5 you cross to the coast on HWY-199 from Grants Pass to Crescent City or go down to Redding and cross on 299. Last I heard is a lot of highway construction and delays on 299.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice