Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2018, 10:22 PM   #1

Banff RV Parks

We're starting to plan our trip to Banff in the summer of 2019. 32' Class A towing a Jeep Cherokee. We're open to staying outside and driving in.

We were looking at the Tunnel Mountain. I see that there is Village I II and III but also see Tunnel Mountain Trailer. Anyone know the difference between the four?

Also would appreciate any insight into driving 93 to get there? It doesn't look too bad however assuming the incline and altitude might make it interesting. Open to tips and suggestions.

Also saw Fairmont Hot Springs RV resort and The Canyon RV Resorts which look to be about 1.5-2 hrs away. We would appreciate any experience, tips and suggestions.

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2018, 05:56 AM   #2

We visited Banff this summer, stayed at one of the Tunnel Mountain parks but I don't recall which one. The one I was in was dry camping only, I saw one of the other parks had electric sites and I think another had full service. We were lucky to get a dry site and for 3 nights which worked out fine. Banff is not large and 3 days is plenty to see everything. Just stay clear of the elk, they are wandering everywhere. The campgrounds book up early so I suggest you visit the park web site and make reservations as soon as they allow.
You will need to purchase a national park pass to stay in the park, you can buy one at the gate on the highway when you arrive. If you stay outside the park and venture into town for a day trip you still must display a park pass on your vehicle when you park the toad anywhere within the park.

If you plan to visit Lake Louise (nearby) I suggest you take a tour shuttle, finding parking at the Lake location is near impossible after 6am. There is a parking area on Hwy 1 for Lake Louise shuttles.

I have stayed at the Fairmont Hot Springs RV park as well as the Condos, both are near the hot springs pool and golf.

Hwy 93 is a 2-lane scenic route, nothing to worry about.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:37 AM   #3

The trailer court is the FHU campground. Huge place but does book up. I believe you can reserve 90 days in advance. You can also buy a park pass when you check in at the CG. Parking at Lake Louise varies as we had no issues parking at 10am one day.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:52 AM   #4

I live a few blocks from Canyon RV Resort in Radium. It is nice with FHU. Sinclair Creek runs through it. Reserve early and request a site backing on to the creek. It is usually booked solid all summer. World famous hot pools are a couple of minutes from the campground. Watch for Bighorn sheep there is usually a large herd walking around town. They are docile so no need to run from them. They will move out of your way.
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyian View Post
We visited Banff this summer, stayed at one of the Tunnel Mountain parks but I don't recall which one. The one I was in was dry camping only, I saw one of the other parks had electric sites and I think another had full service. We were lucky to get a dry site and for 3 nights which worked out fine. Banff is not large and 3 days is plenty to see everything. Just stay clear of the elk, they are wandering everywhere. The campgrounds book up early so I suggest you visit the park web site and make reservations as soon as they allow.
You will need to purchase a national park pass to stay in the park, you can buy one at the gate on the highway when you arrive. If you stay outside the park and venture into town for a day trip you still must display a park pass on your vehicle when you park the toad anywhere within the park.

If you plan to visit Lake Louise (nearby) I suggest you take a tour shuttle, finding parking at the Lake location is near impossible after 6am. There is a parking area on Hwy 1 for Lake Louise shuttles.

I have stayed at the Fairmont Hot Springs RV park as well as the Condos, both are near the hot springs pool and golf.

Hwy 93 is a 2-lane scenic route, nothing to worry about.

Thanks! Would it be unreasonable to stay at Fairmont and drive in to Banff and even Lake Louise? Considering staying outside the park itself and then exploring in the toad.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
I live a few blocks from Canyon RV Resort in Radium. It is nice with FHU. Sinclair Creek runs through it. Reserve early and request a site backing on to the creek. It is usually booked solid all summer. World famous hot pools are a couple of minutes from the campground. Watch for Bighorn sheep there is usually a large herd walking around town. They are docile so no need to run from them. They will move out of your way.
Thanks! Do you think it would be unreasonable to stay at Canyon RV resort and then taking the toad to the park? Considering staying outside it and then driving in with the toad.
dtoste77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtoste77 View Post
Thanks! Do you think it would be unreasonable to stay at Canyon RV resort and then taking the toad to the park? Considering staying outside it and then driving in with the toad.
No not unreasonable. Kootenay NP starts right at Radium and borders Banff NP to the East. Drive from Radium to Banff less than 1.5 hrs on scenic HWY 93. Easy drive. From Radium (Canyon RV resort) to Fairmont Hot Springs is about 30 minutes South on HWY 95.
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:44 PM   #8

Regarding reservations at the national parks, the online reservation system opens in January on various dates depending on which park. The sites fill quickly if you are wanting to stay at one site for any length of time without having to move to another campsite. So keep your eye on the reservations website and book immediately the morning they open.
I have sometimes been unable to book a site for 10 days within two minutes of the system opening for reservations.

There will be cancellations and often open sites for one or two nights but not much more during July and August.
rschad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:57 AM   #9

Thanks for the comments. It looks like for the date we are looking at, the Tunnel Mountain Village accepts reservations in Jan/Feb and from what I have read/heard (and expect) they go quick.

Canyon resort wouldn’t let me book until Feb/March however the Fairmont Hot Springs resort had 2 spots open so I took one. It looks like a nice RV resort /Hotel with lots of amenities which the kids will love. Since we have our toad I think it will give us the best of both worlds. Plus / with our itinerary we were going to have to split the drive from Idaho to Tunnel Mountain over two days and since we won’t need to now, we’ll be staying at Fairmont Hot Springs for 5 days which I think should give us enough time to explore without being rushed.

Anyone have experience here? We’re booked but open to hearing others experiences.
dtoste77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:01 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Near the city of Banff are 3 national park campgrounds. All 3 are right next to each other and are about a 5 minute drive to downtown Banff. They are only connected by bike trail or hiking path.

~ The Tunnel Mt Village 1 is a 620 site campground with only dry camping. I believe it is mostly wooded with gravel pads. The larger RV sites are at the rear of the campground up the hill.

~ Tunnel Mt Trailer Court is a full service campground that was re-built in 2015. The roads are all paved, with gravel pads. 99% of the sites are level and I believe all pull-thru's with good size sites. 320 sites

~ Tunnel Mt. Village 2 Was to be re-built in late 2016 and 2017. So I assume it is finished. I know the sites are electric, I'm not sure they have any full-service. I believe they are also pull-thru sites. 188 sites

In 2016 we stayed 3 nights at Tunnel Mt Trailer Court. I made my reservation about 4 months ahead of time for a late May date. Banff's tourist season generally runs July 1st to Oct 1st. So we felt downtown was busy, but locals said you have not seen the July crowds....yet

Here is a link to Banff's campground page. There are 14 campgrounds in the Banff system. Some don't open till later in June, some don't take reservations and some can't handle larger RV's. So the trailer court one is a safe bet.

Below are two pictures of the full service trailer court campground in Banff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2155(1).JPG
Views:	70
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	222823   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2169.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	222824  

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:24 PM   #11

Reservations open Jan. 9, 8am, mountain stand time.
rschad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:57 PM   #12

We stayed there coming and going. We had no trouble with transportation or traffic. Lake Louise was crowded, but we were ok. We went in the afternoon, and that may help with traffic. We road the open air gondolas at Lake Louise. Beautiful views, and we got to watch 2 grizzlies in the process. Golf course is phenomal. I am an avid golfer, but still found myself just staring at the scenery. Beautiful place, we stayed at Tunnel Mountain RV park with full hookups.
FTer&nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:11 PM   #13

spring creek rv park is a full service rv park in Canmore. only about 15 minutes to banff
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote