Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2015, 07:56 PM   #1

Bauer's vs Ruby's for Zion & Bryce

I am starting to doubt myself for making reservations at Bauer's instead of Ruby's. I wanted something centrally located to see the North Rim of the GC, Zion and Bryce.

Is Ruby's that much better than Bryce? From the reviews I have read they both have leveling issues and they both have small sites. Has anyone stayed at both of these and if so which one would you pick?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2015, 08:04 PM   #2

We have stayed at Ruby's. They have two sections. The old section has wooded sites and more privacy. The one they assigned to us seemed narrow for opening the slides so we moved to b the new area. Because it is new, it seems like a drive in the theater with pedistals for the utilities and s v few young trees (2 years ago). We enjoyed th e v camp site and really liked the convenience to the Bryce entry.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:09 PM   #3

I stayed at Ruby's. There are a restaurant and tourist shops at Ruby's. It was nice and well situated for Bryce. I stayed at Mt. Carmel Motel and RV Park which was a very small "campground" for Zion. And there were a few more things to do in the area that you might not do if you were further away.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:41 PM   #4

I have cancelled my reservation for Bauer's and will make them at Ruby's. How long of a drive is it to Zion NP?
Old 04-09-2015, 07:33 PM   #5

Are you not going to overnight at Zion & the North Rim? IMO, (which means nothing!), you'll miss a lot if you don't!

I Google mapped it & it's just over an hour on 89. We stayed at Ruby's and it was fine for being what it is. We were in the front part with the trees which was nice.

It's another 3+ hours to the North Rim from Zion on 89.

We could only get 1 night at the North Rim so we stayed outside the in the Demotte Nat Forest CG. No hookups but a great CG. The North Rim doesn't have hook ups either if I remember right.

Zion's Watchman CG is nice and has electric.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:05 PM   #6

Ruby's to Zion via Hwy 9 and the slow tunnel traffic is 82 miles.

Ruby's to Grand Canyon - North Rim is 160 miles.

I can't see doing either one of them on a day trip and still have time to tour the parks. You'll be exhausted - especially for Zion because once you get there you'll have to park and pick up the shuttle to tour the canyon. If you get on and off the shuttle at various stops it could take a good part of a day. The North Rim is further to drive but the crowds aren't as bad as Zion and you'll be driving your own vehicle from place to place.

I just can't see trying to do three major national parks from one base. I'd suggest you stay in Springdale for Zion or in Watchman campground in the park. Then move to Jacob Lake if you need hookups and drive to the North Rim. I think there is a RV park there. For the North Rim we always dry camp at DeMotte national forest campground or boondock on the road just south of DeMotte that leads into the forest. You only have to drive about 1/2 - 1 mile in to get a good spot. The North Rim does have a few sites for longer RVs if you're lucky to get those.

To get to Springdale the easiest way is from Utah I-15 to Hwy 9. It's a flat drive. To get from Springdale to Jacob Lake the easiest drive is taking Utah 9 west again and pick up Hwy 59 at Hurricane which becomes Hwy 389 in Arizona which takes you to Fredonia and Alt 89 to Jacob Lake. To get to the North Rim you'd take 67 at Jacob Lake to the canyon.

From Springdale you could also take Hwy 9 east through Zion and climb the twisty road toward the tunnels and on to Hwy 89. It usually has a lot of slow traffic because they stop traffic at the tunnel to let the bigger RVs go through the center of the tunnel - one way.

It takes an effort to tour all three parks! Enjoy.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:25 AM   #7

We have decided to take the North Rim out of our trip. We will be at the South Rim for 5 nights. I will check into staying at Watchman for two nights and then staying 4 nights at Ruby's. How big of a deal is the tunnel? We would have to go through it going and coming back to Hwy. 89. My MH is 12'10" tall to the top of the A/C units. The antennas are 13'6".

I understand that we cannot see everything. Each day that we have to pack up and move is a day lost, so I am trying to limit my MH travel days. This is why I figured a day trip to Zion would be best. A day trip would be the same as a day of traveling in the MH plus I would not have to deal with the tunnel. If it makes any difference our trip there will be the last week of September.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
We have decided to take the North Rim out of our trip. We will be at the South Rim for 5 nights. I will check into staying at Watchman for two nights and then staying 4 nights at Ruby's. How big of a deal is the tunnel? We would have to go through it going and coming back to Hwy. 89. My MH is 12'10" tall to the top of the A/C units. The antennas are 13'6".

I understand that we cannot see everything. Each day that we have to pack up and move is a day lost, so I am trying to limit my MH travel days. This is why I figured a day trip to Zion would be best. A day trip would be the same as a day of traveling in the MH plus I would not have to deal with the tunnel. If it makes any difference our trip there will be the last week of September.
Forgive me, but you seem to be doing some of this the hard way. Why consider driving through the Hwy9 tunnel, not once, but twice? Not a pleasant task and extremely time consuming. To do that in order to stay at Watchman??? While many rave about it, keep in mind it's crowded, dusty, electric power only some 30 and a few 50amp. You could also be over run by ants.

You might find, as we do, the small RV park in Mount Carmel at the junction of US89 and Hwy9 to better fit your travel plans and needs. Very close to the Zion east entrance. It only has about a dozen sites all easy back in and reasonably level. Reservations are required. Tap on this link for the RV park. RV Park | Mt. Carmel Motel and Cabins | Bryce Canyon Cabin | Zion Cabin for Rent | Zion Utah RV Park | Zion and Bryce Canyon Motel
Old 04-10-2015, 02:37 PM   #9

I don't know where you're coming from prior to the planned Zion/Bryce trip.

Here is a national park link to the tunnel information:

Frequently Asked Questions about the Zion-Mt. Carmel Highway and Tunnel - Zion National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

However, depending where you're coming from there are 3 different routes to get to Zion or Bryce. Also, Zion's Watchman campground is definitely not dusty or full of ants. sheez....... The campground is paved and in multiple times we've been there have never been bothered with ants. It's in an absolutely beautiful setting, walking distance to the Visitor Center, river and on the shuttle route. It's perfect.

1. Take Hwy 9 through the tunnels - not a big deal if you're within RV limits (see the link). They stop all traffic both directions and you drive through the middle of the tunnel, single file. They usually have 3+ RVs go one after one another. If you're staying outside of Zion, say at Bauer's, you'll still have to wait for the traffic while driving your towed vehicle.

2. If coming from the South Rim - Grand Canyon, AZ, go to Fredonia, AZ and pick up 389 which becomes UT59 taking you into Hurricane, UT, then east on 9 to either Springdale for RV parks or into Zion's Watchman campground.

3. From Zion, exit Hwy 9 west to I-15, head north on I-15 to Hwy 20 at Circleville, Ut. Take 20 over to 89 at Panguitch and south on 89 to 12 and east on 12 to Bryce. Easy.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 02:52 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
We stayed in Zion 2 nights, bus service nearby, touring the whole area with drop offs throughout the day. Stayed in Springdale one mi in from park. Lovely view even there!

On through the tunnel towards Bryce, two hour drive, stayed at Rubys 2 nights, nice place in the pines, close to the sites. Great trip. Bryce is a higher elevation, so it can be a bit chilly compared to Zion.

Both areas are breathtaking! Yes, I agree that you don't want to drive back and forth each day.
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 03:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I don't know where you're coming from prior to the planned Zion/Bryce trip.

Here is a national park link to the tunnel information:

Frequently Asked Questions about the Zion-Mt. Carmel Highway and Tunnel - Zion National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

However, depending where you're coming from there are 3 different routes to get to Zion or Bryce. Also, Zion's Watchman campground is definitely not dusty or full of ants. sheez....... The campground is paved and in multiple times we've been there have never been bothered with ants. It's in an absolutely beautiful setting, walking distance to the Visitor Center, river and on the shuttle route. It's perfect.

1. Take Hwy 9 through the tunnels - not a big deal if you're within RV limits (see the link). They stop all traffic both directions and you drive through the middle of the tunnel, single file. They usually have 3+ RVs go one after one another. If you're staying outside of Zion, say at Bauer's, you'll still have to wait for the traffic while driving your towed vehicle.

2. If coming from the South Rim - Grand Canyon, AZ, go to Fredonia, AZ and pick up 389 which becomes UT59 taking you into Hurricane, UT, then east on 9 to either Springdale for RV parks or into Zion's Watchman campground.

3. From Zion, exit Hwy 9 west to I-15, head north on I-15 to Hwy 20 at Circleville, Ut. Take 20 over to 89 at Panguitch and south on 89 to 12 and east on 12 to Bryce. Easy.
I will be coming from Page, AZ.

I will need to measure the length of my MH and toad. I believe it is around 52', so I guess I will have to disconnect it. Will the DW be able to follow me through the tunnel?
Old 04-11-2015, 06:46 AM   #12

I reserved site 18C in Loop B at Watchman. There was only 4 sites available for my size MH. Hopefully no one will be in sites 18A & B where we won't be packed in like sardines. These two are short (30') sites.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:25 PM   #13

Will there be a source of water at the Watchman campground to fill up my tank? I don't want to drive with a full tank if I don't need to.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:25 AM   #14

Several years ago I made my base camp at Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park and from there hit Zion, Bryce and the GC north rim. Yes, lots of driving and I learned not to do that again but at the time it was worth it albeit exhausted afterwards.
Blackcell is offline   Reply With Quote