Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2016, 09:58 PM   #1

Bay Area to NorCal coast or Crater Lake!

our family is looking to take about 8 days this summer and either driving up 101 along the coast, Trees of Mystery, Ave of Giants or driving up Hwy 5 to Crater lake and stopping in Shasta or Redding before ending in Klamath/Crater lake.

We'll be in our 32' Class A will have a toad with us.

Would love to hear thoughts on the +\- if each one, best road conditions, ease to drive, etc.

We'll be traveling with a 6 and 4 year old.

Thanks!
dtoste77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2016, 10:38 PM   #2

I think with the children's ages they'd enjoy 101 better. Stay in Willits and take the Skunk Train ride which is very pleasant.

https://www.skunktrain.com/

Continue on and spend a night or two in Redcrest and stay at Ancient Redwoods RV. Nearby are many nice, flat, easy trails among the big trees.

There are many public campgrounds further along. You didn't say where you're starting from or how far up 101 you planned to go. Taking 299 east to I-5 at Redding could make a nice loop to return home.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:55 PM   #3

Thanks, twogypsies. We're starting from San Jose and are open to going as far north as Crescent City or even crossing into Oregon but want to make sure that with 8 days we have enough time to enjoy.

I took the 101 drive as a kid in my parents motorhome and remember being in awe of the coast and redwoods. I just didn't remember how the road was. 299? That would be in Eureka, right? What's that drive like? Scenic, mountains? Any insight to what to expect on the drive is appreciated.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:52 PM   #4

If it were me I would do 101 and CL. It shouldn't be a problem in 8 days. First, go up 101, as twogypsies suggest, through the redwoods stopping as you choose. Then continue on to just a few miles past Crescent City to the intersection of 199. Take 199 to Grants Pass, OR. Then go south on I-5 to either Gold Hill (there is a CL sign there along the interstate) or Medford, and head north to Crater Lake. We live near Medford and it is only a little more than 60 miles from there to CL. If at any time you find you are running out of time you can always get on I-5 and head back to the bay area. You should be able to get from Medford to SF in a day easily.

Hwy. 199 is curvy and occasionally narrow until it leaves the Smith River, but it is used by 18 wheelers and RVs, including MHs, all the time.

I think the whole trip is very scenic and with mountains. There are beautiful Redwood Forests along 101 and the first part of 199. The Smith river is also beautiful. Then the forest becomes predominantly Douglas Fir which continues all the way to CL except for towns and agricultural areas. After leaving the interstate at Gold Hill, the road follows the scenic Rogue River most of the way to CL. If there is time, drive the rim around CL.

There are several FS campgrounds in the CL area, as well as at CL. There are also campgrounds along 101, but not so much along 199.

However you choose to do it, have a wonderful time.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:13 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
I did this last spring. Well sort of. I was coming from Yosemite, through the Redwoods, then 199 to Crater Lake.

After Redwoods NP we stayed at Panther Flat campground on the 199. Then hit Oregon Caves NM and then Crater Lake for a few days.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:37 AM   #6
YC1

101 will be scenic right off versus I5 etc.

There are Elk herds and huge Redwoods along the way. Somewhere along the coast route there was a Dinosaur park. I don't remember if that was in Oregon or Calif. The kids would love that.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:42 AM   #7

Quote:
We live near Medford and it is only a little more than 60 miles from there to CL.e
Hey Steve,

I believe we camped next to you in Brookings this past summer. We went for a hike one day and you had headed home before we got back. I wanted to suggest to you that the least expensive way to get started towing a toad would be to purchase a used tow dolly. Good to see you posting here.

Sorry for the thread hijack!

My .02 cents on US 199 is that it's beautiful but very narrow in a couple of short sections. Pay attention, follow the informational speed limit signs and enjoy the exquisite beauty as much as possible.
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:58 AM   #8

I was thinking that if you do go to CL, I-5 from Medford to about Redding is also scenic, if you like mountains, forests and the like. Not long after leaving Medford it goes over Mt. Ashland and a little farther along it goes pretty close to Mt. Shasta, which can also be seen long before you get to it. A little farther, almost to Redding it goes by Shasta Lake. All that distance is mountainous and hilly, although a part of it is in the rain shadow with sparser vegetation.

Best of luck.

Steve
Old 12-05-2016, 10:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid_dk View Post
Hey Steve,

I believe we camped next to you in Brookings this past summer. We went for a hike one day and you had headed home before we got back. I wanted to suggest to you that the least expensive way to get started towing a toad would be to purchase a used tow dolly. Good to see you posting here.

Sorry for the thread hijack!

My .02 cents on US 199 is that it's beautiful but very narrow in a couple of short sections. Pay attention, follow the informational speed limit signs and enjoy the exquisite beauty as much as possible.
Good advice.

I'm thinking we had a pop up motorcycle tent trailer and were trying it out at that time, but perhaps that was summer before last. After a few trips with it we decided it was just too much trouble compared with the TC, and now MH. We visit Brookings and the coast a lot, but usually day trips.

I appreciate your advice about the dolly, and we do have one, but my choice is 4 down with the Tracker.

Good to re-visit with you.

And now it's my turn to apologize for the sidetrack.

About 199, we made many trips over it with a TC and boat through the '80s and '90s, without mishap. They were about 45-50' in total length. Just be careful.

Steve
Old 12-05-2016, 06:37 PM   #10

I didn't know how far you wanted to drive and if you wanted to take in Crater Lake on this trip, also.

If going to Crater Lake take 199 to I-5 then 62 to Crater Lake. We've stayed at Joseph H. Stewart State Rec Area on 62 and it's an easy drive to the lake. It has very nice sites. Crater also has a campground.

For either 199 or 299 get on Google Earth and slowly move along the highways to get a feel for them. They are both very curvy and probably not ideal for anyone with motion sickness. :( I don't think they're 'scary' highways although they get a lot of traffic so drive carefully. They're hilly but not what I'd call mountainous.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:47 PM   #11

Thanks for all the replies.

I think at this point I may just stick with the coast trip this time around. I tend to agree that the kids would
love to see the coast, and some of those amazing redwoods.

Crater lake sounds appealing but I also don't want the kids to spend most of the time driving. I think they'd be better off if we can take our time at a few campgrounds and then venture out in the toad.

The kids always seem to enjoy KOA's. Anybody have any thoughts on Crescent City, Benbow and the Willits KOA's? I figure the Crescent City site would be close to the Trees of Mystery and Benbow is close to Avenue of Giants. We could always stay in Willits on the way back to the bay.

Any suggestions on other great kid friendly campgrounds we might want to look into?

Also, when up near the OR border does anyone think it would be worth it to head up to any locations within a few hours? Maybe Gold Beach or Coos Bay?
dtoste77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:04 PM   #12

As far as traveling further into Oregon on 101, why not play it by ear and see how your time is and how the children are doing? You don't need reservations constantly. We easily got sites in the Oregon state parks without reservations in various seasons with our 40' motorhome. The state parks are awesome!
Old 12-06-2016, 10:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
As far as traveling further into Oregon on 101, why not play it by ear and see how your time is and how the children are doing? You don't need reservations constantly. We easily got sites in the Oregon state parks without reservations in various seasons with our 40' motorhome. The state parks are awesome!
That would make perfect sense to me.

Yes, there are many things worth seeing (IMHO) going up the OR Coast. It all depends on how far you plan to travel. Some of these have already been mentioned. A lot of the ocean views in OR are similar to what you have in CA.

I forgot to mention Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park Campground along 199 not far past the intersection of 101 and 199, if you should decide to go that way again sometime.

If you venture as far as Coos Bay you will go past some beautiful Ocean settings as well as parks and campgrounds. Near Coos Bay there are several state parks as well as campgrounds. Sea Lion Caves Sea Lion Caves, America's largest sea cave, nothing short of wild. may be something the kids would like, but it is near Florence and would be a longer trip and perhaps, as CL, better left for another time.

Have fun exploring.

Steve
Old 12-06-2016, 06:41 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
U.S. Hwy. 101 is a beautiful trip. I avoid all Interstates if I can.
2015 Winnebago Minnie 2101DS travel trailer & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts of WindyNation solar (parallel) with MPPT controller, 2 Trojan T-125s, TALL flagpole and a great attitude…SoCal based. Perfer USFS, BLM, COE, USF&WS, NPS & state park campgrounds.
LarryW21 is offline   Reply With Quote