Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2020, 04:31 PM   #1

Before you book that RV site

Obviously you check for available dates, prices, discounts (Passport America, Good Sam etc), pets (if you have them),
But how many ask, How is the road in from the main hiway?
Are you beside an outdoor gun range?
Are you under a military flight path?
Is your premium WiFi accessible from my site?
Is the pool/hot tub open?
Ok , I’ll stop now.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2020, 04:54 PM   #2

Reading reviews on sites such as campgroundreviews.com, rvbuddy.com, and camping.com can help answer questions like these.
Old 03-09-2020, 05:56 PM   #3

One of the big things that always concern/bothers me is when I pull in, is low hanging trees. My 5ver is 13' 5" height and overhanging branches that make contact with my camper makes me very angry. You would think that the folks that own/run campgrounds would realize the damage that can be done by a tree branch that makes contact with camper roofs.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:19 PM   #4

campgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
Obviously you check for available dates, prices, discounts (Passport America, Good Sam etc), pets (if you have them),
Ok , I’ll stop now.
Good questions. i always wonder the condition of roads entering and exiting the campground. last year we had 2 bad experiences where we lost a light on the bottom side of 5th wheel and the other it bottomed out but did no damage. the entry had such a angle that caused these conditions.
outbackmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:25 PM   #5

You might if you plan on staying for two months. If only staying a night or two, it is what it is. Not the end of the world if it isn't ideal. You wont find many campgrounds that the roads are that bad. They do want customers to be able to get there. If you are driving a 45 footer, that could be a different story, but we have travelled all over North America in a 40ft and 38 ft, and never had any issues that way.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:26 PM   #6

Are snuggled in between the train tracks and the freeway? (Stockton KOA).

Is there a warehouse next door whose trucks operate all night? (Cheyenne).

Are you under an airport runway? Pismo Beach and Deception Pass State Park, Wa).
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:27 PM   #7

A friend hooked a low wire in a campground and did several hundred $$$ damage. After trying to get the CG owner to go good he was offered $30. He left the money on the counter. It was in Quebec and he has bypassed it ever since.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:59 PM   #8

I always do a Google Map/Earth satellite view of the place and compare to websites map then I know before arriving the way to enter and temp park... and if long term call and inquire if they are doing any renovations to the park...
KRum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 02:01 PM   #9

all that, plus what is the cancellation policy. from my experience its all over the board, from full refund, to pick another date, to you waited to long no refund...

Old 03-10-2020, 03:03 PM   #10
tcg

Quote:
Ok , I’ll stop now.
I read reviews and check Google maps and satellite photos.

But honestly most of the things on your list don't concern me.

Other than gun range the other stuff is just not something that would bother me.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 02:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
I read reviews and check Google maps and satellite photos.

But honestly most of the things on your list don't concern me.

Other than gun range the other stuff is just not something that would bother me.

Last site we booked had 2 miles of 2 lane paved road in. 4” of gravel on each side then soft wet mud. Problem was the lanes are 7’wide!
No way you can tell that on satellite. I looked.
Very happy with the park, very happy that only 1 car and 1 school bus came towards me. I pulled over as far as I could , stopped, and let them pass with whatever was left on their side.
Old 03-15-2020, 02:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverforest View Post
all that, plus what is the cancellation policy. from my experience its all over the board, from full refund, to pick another date, to you waited to long no refund...

Yea, kinda upset the last place wouldn’t accommodate us when we had to pack and leave for Canada due to covid.
Old 03-15-2020, 02:31 PM   #13
tcg

Quote:
Last site we booked had 2 miles of 2 lane paved road in. 4” of gravel on each side then soft wet mud. Problem was the lanes are 7’wide!
No way you can tell that on satellite. I looked.
Very happy with the park, very happy that only 1 car and 1 school bus came towards me. I pulled over as far as I could , stopped, and let them pass with whatever was left on their side.

None of the reviews mentioned the road?

Satellite photos is not the only method I use, I also check reviews and if I'm still concerned I may call the park.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:08 AM   #14

Before you book that RV site

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
None of the reviews mentioned the road?

Satellite photos is not the only method I use, I also check reviews and if I'm still concerned I may call the park.

None that I saw, and it wasn’t a deal breaker just a worrisome last 2 miles in.