Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2021, 09:41 AM   #1

Belle Fourche CG, Devils Tower

We're going to try to get into this CG at Devils Tower in late Sept and it is first come, first serve only. Regarding the check-in process, all I can find out is that it is self-serve (cash into an envelope?). Emails and calls are not returned.

This type of check in in a Federal CG is a first for us. Since I will have no idea which sites (if any) are available, do I just drive the MH in and pull into an empty site, then walk back and pay for that specific site, or prepay an envelope, take the receipt stub and hang it on the site post?

I know this all sounds ridiculous, but a friend has convinced me that there will be only one site left and the RV behind me will nab that site if I don't do this just right. Of course, he has never been there, but usually a good resource. Thanks for the help.

Steve
StephenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2021, 09:55 AM   #2

we stayed at rocky point rec area just east of belle fourche. the largest site i've ever had at a campground. huge lake. then just drive the toad to devils tower about an hour away. for about 36 bucks a night you get 50 amp power and sure beats the no hookup federal park and the crowds.
jeanluc001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 02:25 PM   #3

I have to assume you are referring to the Belle Fourche River Campground which is INSIDE of Devils Tower National Monument? The previous poster referred to Rocky Point Recreation Area near the town of Belle Fourche, about 50 miles as the crow flies, to the east in South Dakota.

The Federal campground at Devils Tower, Belle Fourche River Campground, is (quoting from Recreation dot Gov) a 2-loop, 46-site campground with 4 accessible sites and 3 tent-only group sites. Drinking water is available at water spigots and in the restrooms. Large cottonwood trees provide shade. A picnic shelter and tables are available north of the campground. This is a first come, first served campground, no reservations. There is a 14-day limit on occupancy. There are 43 pull-through sites with room for RVs up to 35'. No hookups are available.

As you describe, its first come, first serve. Basically you find a site that is clearly not taken (sometimes someone gets a site and only has a motor home or camper van and they need to leave for a while, in which case they will pay, and hopefully let the host know they are leaving, and leave a chair or such in the site with a note on it that they will return.) in any case, you find a site, take it, then go talk to the host and put your money in the iron ranger and retain the tear off of the envelope to show you paid. There will be detailed instructions at the kiosk and iron ranger. If you have a toad, you can stop before the kiosk and separate it. After cruising the campground on Google Street View, you will probably not want to take a large motorhome in as the sites are curved and more suited to camper vans, smaller Class C's, smaller travel trailers and only one or two sites will accommodate a large MH. Some have trees that prevent a long vehicle from getting thru the curve of the campsite.

As in the quote above, there are NO HOOKUPS, and if you have a toad and plan to spend time in the area, you will be much better off at a location such as mentioned above, at Rocky Point, and touring the area in your car. I stayed in the Spearfish City campground and rented a car from Enter$prise about three blocks away.

This is the Iron Ranger and registration board, https://goo.gl/maps/xwcseEH8TBbME1RX7 and if you have a desktop or laptop and good internet connection you can cruise the campground from home as Google street view is available for all of Devils Tower including the campground loops. The above link is a live one that if you zoom out and then you can click your way thru the loops.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 05:10 PM   #4

You should have no problem getting a site late September. It's a nice campground... no big crowds as the sites are well-spaced. If there's an open site... nothing on it .... and no post tag at the site, you can assume it's available. Park your motorhome and if you have a toad drive it to the fee box or else walk there. Many national forest campgrounds are like this. We prefer this kind of campground with no hookups rather than one with hookups because those kinds are noisier with radios, TVs blaring, etc.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 10:46 PM   #5

Do you have an America the Beautiful Pass or the Senior Pass? its well worth it as Badlands is $20, Devils Tower is $20, and you will encounter others on the trip. Senior pass (age 62 and over) is $80 one time, the annual pass if you are not a senior is $80 a year. If you are a veteran and have a veteran drivers license from your home state, it will get you in free also, but if a senior the senior pass gets you 50% discount on camping. If you don't have the pass, I'd get it ahead of time but you can also get it at virtually every National Park, Corp of Engineer Project office, National Forest Ranger district offices, BLM district offices, etc.

Ten bucks online extra for shipping and handling, Senior passes must be bought in person.

https://store.usgs.gov/pass

Here is a list of everywhere you can buy the passes. (its 45 pages)

https://store.usgs.gov/s3fs-public/PassIssuanceList.pdf

Also, there is a KOA just before the entrance gate, it adjoins the Nat Monument.

https://koa.com/campgrounds/devils-tower/

Keyhole State Park is about 20 miles south of Devils Tower and has camping on Keyhole lake, so you have possibilities if the park campground is full, which it should not be in September.

https://wyoparks.wyo.gov/index.php/places-to-go/keyhole

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 09:25 AM   #6

Exactly the info I was looking for! Yes, we do have the Senior Lifetime Pass and it saved us a bundle two years ago on our 2 month trip through New Mexico, Arizona, Utah and Colorado. I have a list of close by alternates if we can't get in. Thanks again!
StephenW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow