Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2020, 08:44 AM   #15

I would not stay close to DC in YOUR a motorhome. More less mine , best tour of the Historic monuments is on line on National Geographic .
Florida Rang is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2020, 09:00 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
We have stayed in the DC area every year in spring and fall since 2013 and have stayed multiple times at Cherry Hill, Lake Fairfax, Pohick Bay, and Bull Run.

For the money, location and activities for 5 and 7 year old the best one by far is Pohick Bay if you are willing to drive (about 20-30 minutes to National Mall - assuming Covid type traffic). It is very quiet, has kid friendly park and trails, close to food and grocery and the sites are generally pretty good size as we are in a 43 ft class A with toad.

Cherry Hill is great if you want no hassle transport to monuments etc. but very busy and over priced IMO.
MonacoIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Rang View Post
I would not stay close to DC in YOUR a motorhome. More less mine , best tour of the Historic monuments is on line on National Geographic .

Funny, We were there last fall and were never concerned about the traffic. We do avoid I-95 in that area, but that is where the GPS comes in handy. I'm much more stressed by the traffic in Florida.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 01:32 PM   #18

Aquia Pines "resort" - https://aquiapines.com/
Not sure if they still have the brewery or not but was good last time I was there. I live in the area and my father stayed there a time or two.
riverofcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 09:00 AM   #19

Thanks for all of the advice. I booked Cherry Hill Park. It should be great. The kids will love DC.
ardvark16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 12:13 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
We also stayed at Bull Run Regional Park. Very nice & very reasonable.
Trip to Metro relatively easy. Would do it again.
zekegb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 07:09 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvark16 View Post
Thanks for all of the advice. I booked Cherry Hill Park. It should be great. The kids will love DC.
I hope you have a great time. The office there will be a big help to get you started.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 05:19 AM   #22

Thor Owners Club
I live in the DC area. Cherry Hill is frequently recommended, but Pohick Bay is a great jumping off point for both the National monuments in DC as well as colonial sites in Virginia. The park is very kid friendly with trails and playgrounds and the sites are large and well spaced out. Seasonally, the bathhouses are adequate. Options for going to downtown DC besides driving yourself include driving to a Metro station and taking the subway. You can also travel during rush hour and drive a shorter distance to one of the commuter train stations and then connect to the subway system downtown or along the way. This only works during rush hour, however.

Good luck with your trip and enjoy the sights! If your schedule allows, I recommend that you see the WW II memorial at dusk or after dark. Absolutely stunning.
RI Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 08:04 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Expat View Post
I live in the DC area. Cherry Hill is frequently recommended, but Pohick Bay is a great jumping off point for both the National monuments in DC as well as colonial sites in Virginia. The park is very kid friendly with trails and playgrounds and the sites are large and well spaced out. Seasonally, the bathhouses are adequate. Options for going to downtown DC besides driving yourself include driving to a Metro station and taking the subway. You can also travel during rush hour and drive a shorter distance to one of the commuter train stations and then connect to the subway system downtown or along the way. This only works during rush hour, however.

Good luck with your trip and enjoy the sights! If your schedule allows, I recommend that you see the WW II memorial at dusk or after dark. Absolutely stunning.
We have stayed at Lake Fairfax Park in Reston, VA several times over the last couple of years. I actually live across the street from the park for several and never knew they had campsites. They offer 30 and 50 amp hookups only with water and dump at the bathhouse, its nothing fancy but is convenient to most of Northern Virginia and DC. We will actually be staying there next weekend for several nights to visit our daughter. The park is close to the new Silver Line extension of the metro, so quick access to DC and the surrounding area.
qbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 03:28 PM   #24

We have stayed at Cherry Hill in May.
It’s a really nice Rv park, sites are a little close but I fit a 40 ft 4 slide in the site easy.
It’s well cared and close to DC.
You can even leave your car there, they have a bus shuttle to the subway to DC.
We took it one day into DC and saved parking fees. Got off right at the Smithsonian.
Took the same way back.
If I was going back to DC I would stay there again
2cyber71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 06:07 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
One place to stay away from is Skyline Ranch resort in Front Royal, VA. Lots of bad reviews for a reason.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 07:16 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
We enjoyed Greenbelt Park and as mentioned earlier you can walk to the Metro or it is a 10 minute drive . The Metro is the easiest way to DC. And the daily camping fee is amazing at $20. We stayed 11 days. Some road work is being done now but should be done by April.

https://www.nps.gov/gree/learn/manag...nbelt-park.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00083_resize.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	468.8 KB
ID:	311739   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00085_resize.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	515.5 KB
ID:	311740  

GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote