RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2020, 09:43 AM   #1

Best place near DC to stay in TT

Hi all. Iím looking to stay near DC for the first full week of April. I see Cherry Hill is near but also see a lot of negatives about the sites being just too small. Any suggestions on where to stay with a 5 and 7 year old? Looking to spend the week seeing DC but also relaxing. Thanks.
ardvark16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2020, 09:57 AM   #2

In 2019, we stayed in the Bull Run Regional Park in Ellicott City MD. Nice park, large sites. We would take a 15 or so minute drive to a subway stop to get down to the capital. Worked pretty well for us. Subway pass can be used to pay for parking in either the outdoor or parking structure at the train station.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:04 AM   #3

We stayed in Cherry Hill in August and really liked it. Nice pools and mini golf. Sites were good sized from what I recall.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:10 AM   #4

We stayed at the Greenville Farm Family Campground. It is a very nice place to stay, and the drive into DC isn't that bad. If you have a toad I'd highly recommend it.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:25 AM   #5

We have only stayed at Cherry Hill so that's the only one I can comment on. April is a great time to be visiting. We liked Cherry Hill and didn't find the sites to be too awfully tight. But they are in a prime location & maximizing sites is likely what they need to do. If I had two little ones I would appreciate the pool. We loved our visit to DC & Cherry Hill in 2014 but I wouldn't describe it as relaxing. We pushed ourselves to going in to DC pretty much every day until it felt like going to work. Our own fault. We'll go back again & take it a little easier next time.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:59 AM   #6

+1
Also convenient to Dulles and the Air & Space museum there. Worth a day visit and would recommend taking one of the guided tours (assuming they are operating when you are there?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam View Post
In 2019, we stayed in the Bull Run Regional Park in Ellicott City MD. Nice park, large sites. We would take a 15 or so minute drive to a subway stop to get down to the capital. Worked pretty well for us. Subway pass can be used to pay for parking in either the outdoor or parking structure at the train station.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:08 AM   #7

Cherry Hill

We have stayed at Cherry Hill and the DC KOA. The KOA was nice as it was a little more ďNaturalĒ in itís setting and they offered a shuttle into DC. The negative to the shuttle was you had to work on their schedule. We were actually there for the DC Earthquake and got trapped in DC when the shuttle was not allowed in to pick us up.

Cherry Hill is a huge campground. The benefit to that size is they actually have their own bus stop. It was great being able to catch a bus at the site, straight to the tubes and right into DC. Coming from Toronto, I can say I was very impressed with the DC Transit system. It was an easy commute in and we got to spend plenty of time enjoying The Smithsonian exhibits.

2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P / 2015 Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:12 AM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
If you are comfortable dry camping, check out Greenbelt Park. Run by the National Park Service, but not a National Park. Bathrooms with flush toilets, and most loops have at least one bathroom with showers. I've stayed there a number of times. $20.00 per night, $10.00 with one of the NP cards.

A half hour walk to the Greenbelt Metro station from the "D" loop, or a 10 minute drive.

Note - it is currently closed due to construction & is expected to open early in 2021. Check the website for opening.
Old 12-02-2020, 01:34 PM   #9

Here's an excellent review of Cherry Hill along with photos of the sites. There's also another post below it on D.C., in general.

https://wheelingit.us/?s=cherry+hill
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:47 PM   #10

KOA DC area

Also worth checking out ...the KOA in Fredericksburg, Virginia.The KOA is 10 minutes off I-95 and in a very quiet wooded area. The park has a pool and small playground. You can take public transportation into DC or drive. This is a very clean well managed campground in a quiet secure area. Costco nearby for gas and attached to a small shopping mall.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:51 PM   #11

We have done both Bull Run & Fairfax County park. For convenience Fairfax is better. Well spaced sites.Little highway noise. Some noise from Dulles depending on wind direction but it quietens down in the evening. Not far from subway. Much cheaper than Cherry Hill.

Bull Run is nice, as long as there is no activity at the nearby shooting range, but it is quite a bit further out from DC than Fairfax CP.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam View Post
You have a little too much bull in your post
Bull Run is in Centreville, VA not Ellicott City , MD

For someone not familiar with the area, Cherry Hill is your best bet .
They cater to the out of town tourist and unfamiliar visitors.
There are a few other options, but Cherry Hill has it all figured out and knows how to take care of out of DC tourist.
Lantley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantley View Post
You have a little too much bull in your post
Bull Run is in Centreville, VA not Ellicott City , MD

Oops, you're right. I use RVParky for my routing and had pulled up the route for my trip last year. RVParky saves the center point of the search for campgrounds and I must have first used Ellicott City before settling on Centerville. Thinking about it, I also do a lot of geocaching and there was a cache near Ellicott that I wanted to get - oldest cache in Maryland - Jusef's Cache hidden 2/4/2001. On our way back from that adventure, we came across a food truck for a great lunch - Dr Seafood & Catering. One of our better meals that week. Only downside to it was all the traffic noise on the road they are located on.
FWIW, Bull Run sites are currently listed at $31/ night, Cherry Hill is at $70. The difference more than covered our subway charges and a couple of meals.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:39 AM   #14

We stayed at both Cherry Hill and Bull Run Regional last fall. Cherry Hill is much closer to the subway and a shorter trip into the city, very important with small children.

Bull Run was great for visiting the Air and Space Museum near Dulles.

In April, you will not be enjoying any outdoor pool time but they do have a lot of activities at Cherry Hill.

Bull Run has lots of roads and trails and from there you can visit some of the battle fields.

LOL, I saw Sailor Sam's mistake about the location of Bull Run, but it went on by and didn't slow down.

Lantley is correct about Cherry Hill. They have everything to get you started on your visit to DC.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace