Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2021, 07:25 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscuende View Post
Beware booking at Hilton Head RV resort in Hilton Head SC. They have a zero tolerance for any changes inside 30 days. We had the dreaded DEF sensor breakdown and after calling them to cancel more than a week before arrival we were told it doesn’t matter, they are keeping the $500 deposit. I could understand if they lost out on revenue holding the space for us but found out they even re rented the spot so doubled their money! All other RV parks understood and where accommodating.
From their web site...

Cancellation Policy

31+ days before date of check in: 100% refund of deposit

30 days or less from date of check in: No Refund of deposit

You asked them for an exception, they said no. Now you want to disparage their business by telling others to beware that they uphold their written policy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biljol View Post

.....If they still refuse ask an attorney to write them a letter. With the same reasons regarding harm to the park.

Then if your really feel that they should return the deposit take it to small claims court you have at least a 50% chance of getting the 500 back plus court fees. Once you subpoena the records proving they where able to rent the spot..
And when the judge rules against you prepare to pay the court costs and the legal fees from the prevailing party. Maybe even to be counter sued for posting disparging comments intended to damage their business and reputation
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2021, 07:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscuende View Post
Beware booking at Hilton Head RV resort in Hilton Head SC. They have a zero tolerance for any changes inside 30 days. We had the dreaded DEF sensor breakdown and after calling them to cancel more than a week before arrival we were told it doesn’t matter, they are keeping the $500 deposit. I could understand if they lost out on revenue holding the space for us but found out they even re rented the spot so doubled their money! All other RV parks understood and where accommodating.

That happened to me when a hurricane was coming. When I called back to say that I may show up they said it was a good thing because they would have rented the spot. This after they kept my money paying in full. I thought it bad business. So you are clear, I had no issue with them keeping my money. The issue was renting the space that was paid for a second time.
Dieselgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 08:02 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We were on the coast of NC a few years ago and had a hurricane headed our way and decided to change plans and head inland which would not take us back to the coast. A site we had reserved would not refund the deposit more than a week out. Getting to ge too many places are MONEY HUNGRY and no concern for customer safety.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 08:42 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmeris View Post
You asked them for an exception, they said no. Now you want to disparage their business by telling others to beware that they uphold their written policy?

And when the judge rules against you prepare to pay the court costs and the legal fees from the prevailing party. Maybe even to be counter sued for posting disparging comments intended to damage their business and reputation
I assume you own a spot there ….

There are no legal fees is a small claims court case. You may need to pay court cost if you do not prevail.

There is no protection for disparaging comments so I assume your tryin to say slander.

You can not be sued for stating what happened to yourself. The truth is the ultimate defense. If you mean Slander that is only valid it it’s un true.

IF that written policy is in violation of state law it is not a policy it is illegal and can not be in forced.

Per se
My policy is anyone who walks on the side walk in front of my house has to pay me 30$ so that’s ok because it’s my policy never mind that it’s against the law…..

Contracts must conform to state and federal law if they do not they are invalid. Therefore the payee would have damages and must be made hole.

This is once again assume SC state law is similar to AZ.

BTW I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice and just my opinion based on previous experiences I would advise anyone looking to take legal action to consult and member of the bar in the state of action.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:17 AM   #19

Quote:
BTW I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice and just my opinion based on previous experiences I would advise anyone looking to take legal action to consult and member of the bar in the state of action.
I am - well, was - and think you got it all exactly right.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 11:32 AM   #20

Many parks have that policy, but also many are consider your circumstances.
I had to cancel a trip to an RV Resort that has 100% ownership, they offered to keep the money and give me a date for next yr. That was nice. It wasn’t in their policy to do that, but they did. Of course I have been going there for several trips, so they knew me. That might have had something to do with the offer.

I like Hilton Head Harbor better too.
They seem to be nicer People there.
We go there every January when it’s empty.
Nice option to Florida too
Here is a video from last January 2021

https://youtu.be/wCERkQ7ki6w
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 06:39 AM   #21

Quote:
I assume you own a spot there ….

There are no legal fees is a small claims court case. You may need to pay court cost if you do not prevail.

There is no protection for disparaging comments so I assume your tryin to say slander.

You can not be sued for stating what happened to yourself. The truth is the ultimate defense. If you mean Slander that is only valid it it’s un true.

IF that written policy is in violation of state law it is not a policy it is illegal and can not be in forced.

Per se
My policy is anyone who walks on the side walk in front of my house has to pay me 30$ so that’s ok because it’s my policy never mind that it’s against the law…..

Contracts must conform to state and federal law if they do not they are invalid. Therefore the payee would have damages and must be made hole.

This is once again assume SC state law is similar to AZ.

Your assumption is incorrect, no ownership and no interest in the business.

I also am not an attorney.

Disparagement is concerned with the publication of derogatory information about a person's title to his or her property, to his or her business in general, or anything else made for the purpose of discouraging people from dealing with the individual.

SC magistrate allows lawyers to appear on both parties behalf, my assumption would be the business would be represented by legal counsel and pursue every recourse to recoup costs incurred brought by such a frivolous lawsuit, not sure if they would be awarded them or not.

But, perhaps they would be considered in civil action when the business files suit for losses exceeding the 7500.00 small claim threshold due to the disparagement of property title? Ultimately for the judge to decide

Regarding your sidewalk example, my assumption would be that you don’t own the sidewalk, as they are typically on an easement or right of way and that you are not operating a licensed regulated business on your property to rent use of said sidewalk, so don’t see it as a valid example, per se.

I do agree with you that the OP should'nt take any legal advise from this or any internet posting and should consult an attorney if they feel they were somehow wronged in this instance.
Old 08-01-2021, 06:53 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Is it just my perception that the initial post was pretty harmless? I understood it as just letting everyone know they have zero tolerance for breaking within the 30 day time frame. The initial poster hasn't said another word on this post. Seems others have taken this post over. Thanks for the information jscuende.
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote