Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2011, 10:08 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Big bend nat. Park

Need some help here, my trailerlife campground book lists 2 nat. Park cgs in bigbend. A rio grande village[campground] and a rio grande village [rv park] one with hookups one without. Reserveamerica only shows one [without hookups] same deal with the fed. Site the phone # in the book doesnt work. Anyone familiar with the park?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2011, 12:18 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We visited the park this March, but camped out of the park in Terlingua. The Village campground is divided into two parks. The RV park is a large asphalt parking lot divided into sites with hook ups. It looked like it would get pretty warm in hot weather, but we might stay there next time. The other village campground is for smaller rigs and I believe the only sites with hookups are the host sites.

There is a third campground in the mountains, but it would be hard getting a big rig up there. They have a warning about maximum size on the website and it is a serious climb.

We spent three enjoyable days seeing the area.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:30 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTotem View Post
We visited the park this March, but camped out of the park in Terlingua. The Village campground is divided into two parks. The RV park is a large asphalt parking lot divided into sites with hook ups. It looked like it would get pretty warm in hot weather, but we might stay there next time. The other village campground is for smaller rigs and I believe the only sites with hookups are the host sites.

There is a third campground in the mountains, but it would be hard getting a big rig up there. They have a warning about maximum size on the website and it is a serious climb.

We spent three enjoyable days seeing the area.

Thanks, do you feel your 3day stay there was enough time?
Old 09-24-2011, 02:48 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We spent two days in the park and a third day in Terlingua and the Big Bend State Park to the west. The first day we spent hiking around Rio Grande Village and Hot Springs. The second we spent in the Chisos Mountain Basin.

This was less time than originally planned, but we were a week behind due to a maintenance delay in Tucson. We would have enjoyed spreading it out and spending a little lounging time in camp, but we were happy with what we saw and did.

Terlingua is about 20 miles west of the western park entrance which is, in turn, 20 miles west of the park headquarters. So, we spent a good bit of time driving. You would save travel time staying in the park, but it is a really spread out park none the less.

We really enjoyed the friendly, laid back folks in the little town of Terlingua. They are having real drought problems and it was very dusty.

I have a write up for our visit in the blog listed in our signature below. It was March 2011.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:41 PM   #5

Check:

RV Park Reviews :: Big Bend National Park, Texas ( TX ) - RV Parks and Campground Reviews

The no-hookup CG is run by the NPS and accepts the Golden Age Pass (half price and no hookups). The other is a parking lot run by a a third party and does have hookups.

We spent 13 nights in the NPS park in 08'. There where 4 area's then, reserverable gensets allowed and not, and first come sites gens and not. Water is available at the dump station (use some bleech).

This is one of the best NP's we have been in and is on our 'must go back' list.

Bob
Old 09-24-2011, 06:39 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
We spent a week there in the campground with full hookups. We were there in early October. A lot to do. Lots of hikes. Make sure to take the trail down to the Rio Grand river and listen for singing Vincent. He will serenade you from the Mexican side. He used to be the boatman when crossing over for meals in the small town there was OK (pre 9-11).
Dukeinhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:41 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I spend three to four weeks a year at Big Bend. I always go to the Basin CG in the Chisos Mountains. There are basically three developed CGs in the park. Rio Grande village on the east with two sections, one is dry the other is full hookups. Cotton Wood on the west completley dry and no generator usage (very popular with bird watchers) The Basin CG is completely dry camping but does allow generator. There is water and dumpstation available at the Basin. I always go to the Basin it is incredible! I have been there with tents, pop-ups, 26 foot trailer and my 34 foot coach. When you check in at the main headquaters (Panther Junction) they will warn you that trailers longer than 24 feet and coaches I think they say ab out 28 are not allowed. Actually there is no law against taking anything up there, there is just a few spots that will accomadate longer rigs. I think it is worth trying to get a site in the basin. If you cant find one, stay the day and go back down (8 miles) where there is a lot of dry camping in undeveloped areas.

If you need more help PV me.

Dave
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote