Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2023, 09:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
I guess in my mind I'm imaging a gunfight between the park rangers and cartels and it doesn't go well for our rangers.

Any drug cartel members who show up at Boquillas and across into the park would be VERY "not bright". Way too many miles of nothing and very few roads in and out. No bridge over the Rio Grande for many miles in either direction. Heck, it is 120 miles to the nearest town (Alpine) from the the Rio Grande Village CG.

Certainly not a place where a bad actor could "get lost in the crowd" or have multiple escape routes.

In a word-- NO WORRIES. A beautiful area, particularly if you catch it right after a rain. Then the desert is spectacular.

This is one of the few places in the U.S. where you can go from 1,850' at Rio Grande Village CG on the river to 7,825' Emery Peak in less than 25 miles! Don't like the climate where you are--- drive a few miles.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2023, 10:15 AM   #16

Thanks again. How can I print out this thread?
Hilola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 11:50 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud1218 View Post

BJ's RV Park in Terlingua, TX 79852

Agree with this recommendation. Have stayed there twice. Nothing fancy but convenient to west side of park and Big Bend State Park and Terlingua itself is fun and quirky.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 12:14 PM   #18

Send a message via Yahoo to burgmark
I was there in the last week of March 2022 and stayed at the Big Bend Resort. It was very windy and dusty but otherwise no complaints. I had my dog so electricity was a must so that I could run the air conditioner during the day.

To me the most interesting parts of the park is first the Chisos Basin (get there early to find parking for hikes, I got the last spot at the Lost Mine Trail at 7:00 a.m.) and the Santa Elena Canyon areas. I drove over to Rio Grande Village one day and there is not much there except the hot springs.

In Terlingua, the ghost town is worth a look and I had dinner at the Starlight Theatre, interesting, but in my opinion pricy for the quality.

Here's a link to my photos if you are interested

https://markburgess.zenfolio.com/p80...2f2f#h22662f2f
burgmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 12:20 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mark
Great photos!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 05:51 PM   #20

This is a document from the National Park Service on some major incidents happening in Big Bend Nat'l Park over the past 37 years..... some are comical! We volunteered at Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Park, Colorado and the incidents there were what you'd find in a big city! Murders, suicides, robberies, etc. All national parks will have these types of incidents and the public doesn't know about them. Just use common sense as you should do everywhere you go.

http://npshistory.com/morningreport/incidents/bibe.htm

Visitation in Big Bend is great regardless of its remote area. People love it!

https://www.nationalparked.com/big-b...ion-statistics
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 06:13 PM   #21

We stayed at Paisano Village RV park between Terlingua and the west entry to the park. Newer place all gravel with paved patios. Full hookups. Would stay there again.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 03:22 PM   #22

The last two years, when we've visited Big Bend, we've stayed at the Lajitas Maverick Ranch RV Park.

It's outside of the park and attached to the Lajitas resort which has a couple of restaurants plus a great golf course.

The park was pretty good with decent WiFi.

There isn't a lot around the resort though. It's a pretty easy drive into the park.

We stayed there because we played several rounds of golf each time we were there, in addition to sightseeing.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 04:10 PM   #23

RV park near Big Bend….

We HIGHLY recommend Maverick RV in Lajitas. Great place. Amazing golf course. Close to state park. Nice drive along the Rio Grande. Great restaurant and bar. 20 minutes to Big Bend Park. Looking forward to return trip !!!
Ed Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 04:58 PM   #24

Spartan Chassis
Stillwell RV park located east of 385 which is the north entrance to the park on FM2627. Not a real fancy place but has water and electric for a very reasonable price. Small museum that was the first home of the Stillwell family with lots of fun information about the Matriarch of the family who was quite well known it Texas and lived a long and colorful life. Fun place if you like the offbeat!
Stevens10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 05:24 PM   #25

Spring Break & Stillwells

We learned that Big Bend is extremely popular during Spring Break. A park CG would take a reservation but canceling with a refund requires a phone contact. There is NO cell service in about 95% of Big Bend. Amateur radio operators will have good communication through out most of the park through the 2m repeater.

Several years ago we found Stillwell's had sites during Spring Break, including 50A FHU, and I found the staff there hospitable. No cell service but a "make a donation" POTS line was in the office. We really enjoyed Hallie's Hall of Fame museum on the Stillwell property - https://texastimetravel.com/director...l-fame-museum/ . The drive to many popular areas was an hour or so with 45mph limit. Enroute to park HQ is a prehistoric exhibit with many fossilized skeletons, some only found in Big Bend (a flying creature with 40 ft. wing span).

That was our only visit to date, was very enjoyable and memorable.
Old 03-26-2023, 05:51 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Check out Maverick Ranch RV Park in Lajitas , a 30 minute drive to Big Bend National Park. Lajitas Golf Resort across the street with beautiful views along the Rio Grande river, you can rent a golf cart to see without playing golf.
mlfaulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 07:27 PM   #27

We love going to Big Bend ! 3 times now and plan on more.. So much to see and do. We park our Outlaw in the non-electric park for seniors its like 8 bucks a day. We take our Honda scooter (300cc) and use it to travel around to all the other places.. We usually stay in Jan-Feb and have seen snow !
We also saw lots of wildlife. Road Runners, Coyotes, Hogs, Tarantulas, and even mountain goats that most didnt know was there !
Take the boat crossing and mules into Boquillas ! (have to have passport now, Didnt use to) Lots of cool trinkets sold along the river trails too.. We took the scooter on lots of the gravel rocky roads all around the park..
Going up the mountain and doing hiking trails gets you some great scenery !
Others have gave lots of info here..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	big bend mexican crossing.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	353.2 KB
ID:	388952   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1274.jpg
Size:	285.5 KB
ID:	388953  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1343 (2).JPG
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	388954   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1241.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	388955  

Old 03-26-2023, 08:08 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens10 View Post
Stillwell RV park located east of 385 which is the north entrance to the park on FM2627. Not a real fancy place but has water and electric for a very reasonable price. Small museum that was the first home of the Stillwell family with lots of fun information about the Matriarch of the family who was quite well known it Texas and lived a long and colorful life. Fun place if you like the offbeat!
X2 on Stillwell. A good location outside the park for easy access. Friendly people and the cool little museum. We have visited probably 10 national parks and Big Bend is in the top 4-5 for us. Enjoy!
ArkRVHog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national