Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2007, 07:46 AM   #1

If you are in the area, spend a few days seeing the Big Horn Mountains. We stayed in Deer Park RV Park in Buffalo Wy.

If you have a Jeep, then it is even better as they have over 200 miles of back-roads where you need a Jeep to drive them.

Drive from Buffalo, WY to Ten Sleep, WY. This is Hwy 16 and tops out at 9,666 feet at Powder River Pass.

In Ten Sleep, stop at Dirty Sally's. Get some Ice Cream and a map that shows all of the back-roads in the Big Horn's.

On your return trip to Buffalo, make sure that you drive Crazy Woman Canyon. Fantastic drive.

Go to Sheridan, WY. Visit King's Saddlery and Museum. Even if you are not into horses you will love this place. The museum is out the back door and across the alley. Well worth seeing. Sheridan is a cool western town.

Drive on north on I90 and take the exit for Hwy 14 into the Big Horn's. When you enter the Big Horn's, the road starts up, and I mean up. There are several pull-outs where you will see some breathtaking views.

We turned off of Hwy 14 onto a dirt road, nf-26, for our return trip to Sheridan. This was about a 45 miles drive. This was a great choice as it was beautiful country side and views. During this drive, we took one of the off-roads and found that it crossed a wide creek. Someone had put concrete squares in the creek to make it easy to cross. That was cool.

In summary, the Big Horn Mountains are a beautiful place and is not crowded. You will not regret visiting this place.

This is also a great place for boondocking, as we so many small RV's back in the off-road areas.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2007, 07:46 AM   #2

If you are in the area, spend a few days seeing the Big Horn Mountains. We stayed in Deer Park RV Park in Buffalo Wy.

If you have a Jeep, then it is even better as they have over 200 miles of back-roads where you need a Jeep to drive them.

Drive from Buffalo, WY to Ten Sleep, WY. This is Hwy 16 and tops out at 9,666 feet at Powder River Pass.

In Ten Sleep, stop at Dirty Sally's. Get some Ice Cream and a map that shows all of the back-roads in the Big Horn's.

On your return trip to Buffalo, make sure that you drive Crazy Woman Canyon. Fantastic drive.

Go to Sheridan, WY. Visit King's Saddlery and Museum. Even if you are not into horses you will love this place. The museum is out the back door and across the alley. Well worth seeing. Sheridan is a cool western town.

Drive on north on I90 and take the exit for Hwy 14 into the Big Horn's. When you enter the Big Horn's, the road starts up, and I mean up. There are several pull-outs where you will see some breathtaking views.

We turned off of Hwy 14 onto a dirt road, nf-26, for our return trip to Sheridan. This was about a 45 miles drive. This was a great choice as it was beautiful country side and views. During this drive, we took one of the off-roads and found that it crossed a wide creek. Someone had put concrete squares in the creek to make it easy to cross. That was cool.

In summary, the Big Horn Mountains are a beautiful place and is not crowded. You will not regret visiting this place.

This is also a great place for boondocking, as we so many small RV's back in the off-road areas.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:58 AM   #3

Shh,you are giving away our secrets. Seriously though, it is beautiful country.

2004 Jayco 25RKS
Wind River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:36 AM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I spent a week in Clearmont WY last Summer with a group from my Church. We were helping build a new Church for them. Clearmont is a town of 115 people and is about 20 miles down the road from Bufflo. The first day we were there we rode through Bufflo up into the Big Horn Mountains, and I agree it was really something. The group that I was with went up into Montaina to see Little Big Horn on the way back we stopped in Sheridan for supper. It is beautiful country and a trip that I will never forget.

Bill
Old 08-01-2007, 11:56 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
We just got back from that area. I agree with all that has been posted. There is something to add. I90 to exit 9. Go West on Rt 14. About 35 miles there will be a junction. Go right onto Rt 14A. If you need food or fuel, there is a lodge about 100 yards on the right. We had lunch there. They have good food. Continue West on Rt 14A. Your goal is The Medicine Wheel National Historic Site. There is only one small sign. If you start down the West side of the mouintains, turn around, you went too far. The Medicine Wheel NHS is on a dirt road (what else, this is Wyoming). Once at the visitor's center you may still need to walk the last 2 miles to the site. There is snow up there year around. It blocks the last two miles of the road. Once there, you will be treated to a prehistoric monument layed out like a spoked wheel on it's side. Several indian tribes still use the site in their worship. The walk is a moderate strain. You can really tell people you walked 2 miles up hill both ways! The secret is there is a signifant dip in the middle of the walkway. It is up hill to the NHS and coming beck, up hill to the ranger station. When walking, the views are spectacular. Dress warm, bring water the NHS is just under 10K in altitude. There is a restroom at the monument.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:03 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
We spent 5 days in Sheridan, WY. Rode up to Little Big Horn Battlefield. That is a great experience. Enjoyed the day. I didn't know about the medicine wheel until the day before we were leaving. My bad for not investigating enough.

I agree that this is beautiful country.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:40 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We missed the Medicine Wheel Site in mid Sept '04. The snow was already so thick that we couldn't make it in the low-slung Altima we were driving.

In Sheridan, don't miss the Palace Cafe at 138 N. Main Street. It has been in operation there since 1910. We had breakfast there every day.
psc907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 05:38 PM   #8

Those two highways are not for the faint of heart. Neither are they for those that tow overweight. The sign at the top of the mountian is proof enough. a previous discussion
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote