Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2017, 07:52 PM   #1

Big rig camping near Blue Ridge parkway

In the planning stages for a trip down the Blue Ridge parkway and looking for suggestions for Big rig sites not to far off the beaten path or easy access back to the Blue Ridge with Toad or Bike.
The attractions look abundant, but I'll also take any input on must see's also.
I have plenty of time to plan, not going till Sept.
Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2017, 08:00 PM   #2

I used to travel for work through the Shenandoah Valley area of Virginia, and the area the Blue Ridge Parkway went through. And I used to get on segments of the B/R Parkway from time to time.

But running from the top to the bottom is just not very desirable to me in any RV. I might get on the parkway, but I'd also have some alternative routes to take me to my destination that's easier to travel.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:31 AM   #3

Not planning on running the parkway in Rv, that's why I'm asking for sites with easy access back, looks like most Cg's on the parkway are smaller anyway
Old 01-22-2017, 11:27 AM   #4

We stayed at http://www.moonshinecreek.com/ several years ago. We had a 35' class c at that time. It was ok. The site we were in wasn't very level and the water pressure was abysmal. The location was convenient. The campground was nice enough. It was a bit tricky to find them, you have to follow there directions not your gps otherwise you wind up on a dirt path in the woods. My parents have been down there several times since then and have found a better one. http://www.tumblingwaters.com/ that's the one I'd go for with moonshine creek as a backup.
Joe II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:19 PM   #5
doc

Appalachian Campers
Take a look at Meadows of Dan Campground in (surprisingly ) Meadows of Dan, Va. Nice place. FHU and cable Big Rig sites and sites in the woods. Just off - maybe 300 yds - the Parkway. Very nice management, good prices. We do a lot of junk shopping. I love old wall clocks and there are several antique shops in the area. There is a locally owned candy kitchen and a single restaurant as I can recall. A nice restaurant in an old mill is right on the Parkway just north of MoD. We have stayed at the CG several times over the years.
Hillsville is the nearest town with much of a commercial area (banks grocery stores, fast food etc )
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:26 PM   #6

We stay at the KOA in Cherokee NC, it is at the far end of the parkway about 3 miles from the entrance. It is a great area with many things to do. The KOA has nice sites that have full hook up, both gravel and deluxe concrete and both these sites are pull thru
Springdale1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:53 AM   #7

Thanks Joe and Sprindale you also Doc, yea love old clocks, but they need to chime and I have them all wound up, drives my kids crazy! Love it
Old 01-26-2017, 11:50 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Never looked at exactly how close to the Parkway but one of the finest Motorcoach Resorts in America is near Sapphire Valley/Lake Toxiway/Cashiers/Highlands.

We have been there twice and planning on visiting again this spring.

Mtn Falls Luxury Motorcoach Resort

Steve
StevL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 12:25 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Verona VA.

Shenandoah Valley Campground Staunton/Verona I-81 Exit 227 - Verona, VA 24482 - 540-248-CAMP - 800-310-2580
Shenandoah Valley Campground.

Big Rig Friendly. Love it here.

Good Sam's reviews
Shenandoah Valley Campground - Verona Campgrounds | Good Sam Club
HarleySG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 12:45 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
a few questions:
define a big rig 40 foot or 45 or ?

what region/state/area are you looking for,
because the BRPW is almost 500 miles long

If near Asheville, NC... a must see is the Biltmore - opt for a tour guide - much better than the self guided to see behind the scenes NEAT stuff !

We stayed at bear creek near Asheville in our sorta big rig.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/asheville-323562.html
Old 01-26-2017, 01:41 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
If near Asheville, NC... a must see is the Biltmore - opt for a tour guide - much better than the self guided to see behind the scenes NEAT stuff !

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/asheville-323562.html

If near Asheville take in the Sierra Nevada Brewery, really nice place to wonder around and have a cold 1, 2, or 3.

Mtn Falls is about 40 minutes to Asheville by car, all four lane except maybe 10 miles.

They also have RV parking at the brewery, be careful! I parked in a designated RV spot, came out to find people in cars parked a foot in front and a foot in the rear. Had to disconnect the jeep which allowed enough room to get the jeep out then the coach..... wasn't happy.

Steve
StevL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 07:32 AM   #12

Thanks JohnBoy, My definition for Big rig, My Rv is only 36' but I tow a 24' trailer, now I can disconnect but its more convenient to stay connected.
I am planning the whole parkway, staring in Shenandoah and going to the Smokies, so my plan is to camp and then go up and down the Parkway, then move again, Like Shenandoah? trying to decide to get a spot at the south end and come up or by one of middle entrances or in the park? Maybe I can get the Jeep on trails in Asheville!
StevL, Will defiantly check out the Brewery, thanks for the heads up on parking
Old 01-31-2017, 01:54 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Ah, then the Bear Creek RV park sites we stayed in would not be good for towing a trailer too... we flat towed the jeep- pic below

The one trail I got my rv'ing buddies to go on was the Hurricane Creek trail...
Very nice for even a stock jeep - through heavy woods and can take upwards of 90 minutes start to finish... airing down since it is so rocky will make it a more comfortable ride for passengers but nice ride and saw wildlife including a black bear.

here's a couple of links:
Help find a place for some nice wheelin in the Asheville area - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Asheville, NC Off Road Advice? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-10-18 232.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	385.2 KB
ID:	150568  

Tags
camping