Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2016, 01:02 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfolger View Post
California resident here. I am warning you that the north entrance to Yosemite and the south entrance to Sequoia are not big rig (40-45') friendly. If you will have a tow vehicle, there is a 10-10 Good Sam resort in Chowchilla Ca. The park is centrally located between the best Ca destination attractions and within an hour drive of most of them. Look at a California map and Google Chow Chilla RV parks. I am trying to give you useful info without breaking forum rules. I am affiliated....so cant give you the name...
Been to Chowchilla a few times. We used to have a boat race there every June. It was a one of the racers favorite venues. Wasn't in an RV then. Is this place also a golf resort?
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2016, 01:54 PM   #16
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
You can also subscribe to this. The authors have been to the CGs and rate them for big rigs only, even down to the specific sites at the parks.

US RV Guide for Big Rigs
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
You can also subscribe to this. The authors have been to the CGs and rate them for big rigs only, even down to the specific sites at the parks.

US RV Guide for Big Rigs
Great link. I hadn't seen that before.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:22 AM   #18

Well Jay, how was the trip?
looking for some input as planning that trip for next sept, 2019. I'm not 45',but 36' and towing 24' I don't have a problem dropping the trailer, if they have room.
So, did you find a good place to take in Sequia and Kings canyon,? or did you have to relocate? Did or would you stay in the park?
how about Yosemite?
how much time did you spend in each park and was it enough?
I'm up for any information you want to throw out there.
Thanks
Old 10-03-2018, 07:39 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We stayed in Chowchilla and day tripped into the parks. There was an RV park just outside Yosemite that looked suitable but I chose not to deal with the limited options for getting in and out.

It was a 1.5 hour trip, one way, to the parks. If we were planning more than a couple of days at each I may have looked harder at options.

The RV park in Chowchilla was very nice.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:04 PM   #20

Thanks Jay, the thanks button isn't working right now, I'll send that latter, Chowchilla looks pretty far and I'm looking at maybe a week, The wife is concerned about staying in the park with there Generator rules, if we leave the dogs in the Rv, I'm looking at Army Corps Island Park Cg
Thanks again
Old 10-11-2018, 09:50 AM   #21

Sequoia we stayed at Lemon Cove village rv park, we fit fine. For Yosemite, we went to North end out of Mariposa and stayed at Mariposa County Fairgrounds. Lower lot only, cant get level in others. Power and water with an onsite dump. Mariposa is a nice little town. The KOA is gone, turned into private housing(?). I don't know conditions after summer fires up there in Yos. Hope this helps. TAND
TANDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:42 AM   #22

We stayed at Sequoia RV Ranch in August and it was great. Beautiful setting, but relatively no frills. However, if you intend on spending time in the parks sightseeing and hiking, I would strongly encourage you to stay in the park if you can. For example, although Sequoia RV Ranch is just a few miles from the park entrance, it will take you at least an hour and a half to drive to sights like the General Sherman Tree and other notable giant sequoias and hiking trails, and that timing may be generous. Also, it is an even longer drive from the southern campgrounds to get to Grant Grove and Kings Canyon NP. Although the long drives are breathtaking, you need to get a pretty early start in order to make a full day in the parks if that is what you want.

Sequoia and Kings Canyon are absolute gems that are often overlooked but do require some planning to access easily and efficiently.
Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:06 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoia View Post
We stayed at Sequoia RV Ranch in August and it was great. Beautiful setting, but relatively no frills. However, if you intend on spending time in the parks sightseeing and hiking, I would strongly encourage you to stay in the park if you can. For example, although Sequoia RV Ranch is just a few miles from the park entrance, it will take you at least an hour and a half to drive to sights like the General Sherman Tree and other notable giant sequoias and hiking trails, and that timing may be generous. Also, it is an even longer drive from the southern campgrounds to get to Grant Grove and Kings Canyon NP. Although the long drives are breathtaking, you need to get a pretty early start in order to make a full day in the parks if that is what you want.

Sequoia and Kings Canyon are absolute gems that are often overlooked but do require some planning to access easily and efficiently.
Good information. Thanks. These are on my short list.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:10 AM   #24

Yes, was looking at staying in the park, even called, they recommended Dorst, but, we would be traveling with pets and would be worried about leaving them as there generator times are off during the day, so no ags for A.c. if needed
Old 08-06-2019, 11:19 AM   #25

Checking in Mike -- what did you end up booking and doing?
Did it all work out?
Would you change anything?
We will be doing this trip next summer!

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frutza View Post
Yes, was looking at staying in the park, even called, they recommended Dorst, but, we would be traveling with pets and would be worried about leaving them as there generator times are off during the day, so no ags for A.c. if needed
mekkerlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 04:02 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekkerlc View Post
Did it all work out?

Thanks!
We are at the Parks right now. We chose to stay at the KOA in Visalia and drive our Jeep into the parks. We are photographers, but not really hikers. We went into King's Canyon on Highway 180, then took 198 down through Sequoia and on West to Visalia. We kind of wished we had reversed the process. The last 45 minutes through Sequoia were pretty hairy downhills and switchbacks. Anything over 22 feet will have lane control issues, and maybe a scrape or two.

Remember when going into Sequoia on 198, it will be 45 minutes until you see significant trees. Going out through King's Canyon will be trees all the way to the exit gates, and beyond.

The beauty of all of it is staggering, and worth the time.

Remember to pack a picnic lunch and enjoy one of the many picnic areas. We used the one closest to the Sherman Tree.

PS - Dogs are OK in picnic areas, campgrounds and parking lots, but not on trails.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:56 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekkerlc View Post
Did it all work out?

Thanks!
I'll let you know, leaving Sunday,
Old 09-02-2019, 03:02 PM   #28

We stayed at Lemon Cove for Sequoia and Kings Canyon in April this year. Worked out well. We stayed at Bass Lake for our visit to Yosemite. We did fit, but felt like a parking lot experience. It was convenient though for a loop drive through the park.
mjd190 is offline   Reply With Quote