Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2013, 08:03 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Stayed there. Nice park...kinda away from everything. Travel to the ferry on the south side of the Mississippi to cross over to new Orleans proper. Saves some parking headaches.
DSL417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2013, 06:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Stayed there. Nice park...kinda away from everything. Travel to the ferry on the south side of the Mississippi to cross over to new Orleans proper. Saves some parking headaches.
Can you tell me if there are any concerns from I-10 to 90 to 23? I did an satellite view and it looks like a mess. Cannot figure out the transfer process from I-10 to 90 and whether it's a right or left lane transfer.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:27 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
The drive along US-90 is a very nice drive. Lot's of stop and go. As stated, the "mansions" were wiped out by hurricane and they were not rebuilt. Lots of cemement slabs as reminders. It has been two years since we have been in that area and there might be some newer houses now. The highway is right opposite the beach so that view is very nice. I have not crossed the bridge on US-90 so maybe others that have taken that route can speak up.

As for I-10 into New Orleans, be prepared to do about 25 mph in an RV on the Eastern Egress. I don't think they have fixed the roller coaster ride you will get. I have only been in that way once and the other times I have used the Western I-10 route. Someone may have taken the Pontchartrain route and can speak for it.

Happy trials and enjoy the trip.
Will that section has been repaired and it was never that bad to have to go 25 MPH.
Enjoy your time there.
ajm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon4 View Post
Can you tell me if there are any concerns from I-10 to 90 to 23? I did an satellite view and it looks like a mess. Cannot figure out the transfer process from I-10 to 90 and whether it's a right or left lane transfer.
Satellite views are from a long time ago. You will have no problems.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
New Orleans NAS FAMCAMP

The campground at Belle Chase was recently renovated and is very nice. The roads leading into the NAS are horrible. They must pay the road crews to make large potholes. Watch the signs carefully as it is easy to get stuck in the wrong lane if he traffic is busy. We stayed there in March and it was great.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Did you take in the museum at NAS Pensacola, as old ground pounder I found it intersting. X 2 on the D Day museum & Cafe' Du Monde. If you are in the French Quarter on the weekend might run into some pretty good jazz and the cathedral is also nice to visit. I do prefer the Lafayette area which is some 90 miles west. Those Cajuns do know how to party and the food is great, but to each his own.

Don G.
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
The campground at Belle Chase was recently renovated and is very nice. The roads leading into the NAS are horrible. They must pay the road crews to make large potholes. Watch the signs carefully as it is easy to get stuck in the wrong lane if he traffic is busy. We stayed there in March and it was great.
We are going in on Sunday so maybe we'll get a little break on the traffic... I'll try and dodge as many holes as I can. Appreciate everyone's input...
Old 08-04-2013, 05:11 PM   #22

We just spent 3 weeks there in Parker's Landing. It is off of I-20 and cheap. There are great parks on the beach also. Jefferson Davis; last home Beauvoir, has been restored and worth a tour. Great people, good food and the area has made remarkable recovery.
jpspinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
In 1973 (nearly 4 years post Hurricane Camille) I was riding the bus from Lackland AFB to Keesler AFB. The first bumper sticker I noticed near Biloxi was "Clean Biloxi up, kill and airman."

What a buzz kill.

Even then the affects of Camille were still evident. Haven't been back there since. Had a friend who goes down there regularly. He says there are still lingering affects of Katrina (2005). Seems like folks just aren't interested in going back and that has impeded progress.
It's not that people are not interested in building back but insurance is the hold back. Most people have no idea that Katrina came ashore in Ms, they all think it hit NOLA. Katrina wiped out the Ms coast but the flooding in New Orleans attracted all the media attention. After the storm a lot of insurance company's refuse to write a homeowners policy south of I 10 and the ones that will are astronomical in price. Most people just can't afford to self insure and build back close to the beach. I have looked at a house that should list for 250K plus and had the owner state that he would consider a sub 100 K offer but his insurance is over $8000 per year. I live in north Ms but had a lot of friends and relatives in the Gulf Port, Biloxi, Bay St Louis area, most that lost home decided not to rebuild there because of insurance cost. Those that didn't lose homes have said that they can't afford to sell because of buyers difficulties obtaining insurance.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
It's not that people are not interested in building back but insurance is the hold back....
I totally agree that there are forces like insurance that make folks "not interested" in going back. Even the politics of disaster relief are becoming all gummed up. Right, wrong or indifferent there are pressures to reduce federal aid to disaster areas. Folks in IL will argue that it is ya'll's fault for moving into such areas and that you (thus insurance companies) need to take the brunt.

I guess I am saying I support your position and wish it weren't so.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote