Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2018, 01:49 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Biting Off More Than You Can Chew?

I don't mean to burst anyone's bubble(s) or trash anyone's plans..... in fact maybe this will cause someone to reconsider a rather robust, al-be-it short term trip.... and I can appreciate that I am retired so I have a lot of time to travel, but...

is it just me, or are more and more folks looking to cram as many places into as little time as they can?

For example: last year we spent a month just in SE Utah and SW Colorado (the area inside the line in photo 1); and we still need to go back because there is more to see. And that doesn't include the time to get there (from Florida - another 3 weeks).

Just to put that into perspective, photo 2 is the area we spent a month in/around.

I see folks trying to cover 4 and more national parks in 2 to 5 weeks and still wondering what else they can do! I just don't see how anyone can get an appreciation for them seeing them that way.

It's just my opinion (yea, I know - everyones got one). But geesh..... stop and smell the roses rather than do a drive-by photo op. Maybe it's about the journey and not the destination??

just sayin'..... (now I'm gonna duck-and-cover for the flack I'm probably going to get)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-03-06 at 3.38.32 PM.png
Views:	338
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	194741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-03-06 at 3.39.48 PM.png
Views:	355
Size:	497.2 KB
ID:	194742  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2018, 01:58 PM   #2

When working and family gets to go on that 'once in a lifetime' vacation...........you bet it is cram in as much as possible.

They have already 'traveled' to an area so they are going to 'see' as much as they can

Human Nature.

It's tough when you have limited time, limited budget and desires to full fill

Hopefully more GOOD memories are made vs not so good ones
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 02:05 PM   #3

I don't travel the punch list either. Was talking it over with a friend of mine who has been a couple of places I would like to go. He has a "why bother" attitude from a trip his sis in law set up. Punch list. Stop at the welcome center, drive though, check off and head for the next one. He did not have much fun but it was a family deal. I might try talking him into going back to a few and spending a week at each one. Might really change his mind. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 02:15 PM   #4

Betty, Sophie and I will be full timing by June 1st....when I retire. I'm fighting that right now as I'm trying to figure out where to go first and stay how long, then where to go and stay how long...etc, etc, etc...

Still working through it...any suggestions???

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 02:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
Betty, Sophie and I will be full timing by June 1st....when I retire. I'm fighting that right now as I'm trying to figure out where to go first and stay how long, then where to go and stay how long...etc, etc, etc...

What's the hurry? Go someplace, anywhere, stay till you are bored and move on. Rinse and Repeat
FirstRodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 02:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstRodeo View Post
What's the hurry? Go someplace, anywhere, stay till you are bored and move on. Rinse and Repeat
I know...you're right...it's a mindset thing for me...."rat race" thinking

Seems like no matter where I am, I'm thinking I should be somewhere else!!!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 02:34 PM   #7

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:

Hmmmm
I have traveled a good bunch of miles during my career as a driver of big ugly & oversize load things....only seeing the exits and billboards of interesting places as I drive by..
My goal is to go anywhere that looks interesting (and has fishing)....stay put until I get bored/tired of the area/ basement freezer gets full, or the fish quit biting, then move on.....
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 02:35 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a trip planned next month to visit the 5 NP in Utah. We have 7-8 weeks to travel there from Illinois, see the parks and return home. I’m retired and am able to take some time now, before not so much. We have a list of places and things to see and do but that can change. Nothing is etched in stone.
bevo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 02:45 PM   #9

We're going to be doing, just like are doing.

Travel 200-400 miles in one day, then stay put for 1-4 weeks and explore the area and see the sites. then pull up and travel 200-400 miles in one day, and explore the area and see the sights.

Rinse and repeat as often as needed until we can't do it any longer.
Logan Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 02:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Hmmmm
I have traveled a good bunch of miles during my career as a driver of big ugly & oversize load things....only seeing the exits and billboards of interesting places as I drive by..
My goal is to go anywhere that looks interesting (and has fishing)....stay put until I get bored/tired of the area/ basement freezer gets full, or the fish quit biting, then move on.....
Saddlesore, What type of fishing do you find that you can fill a freezer? Can't be Bass. The DW keeps telling me she's going to fish with me on to road She does better in salt water than fresh for sure, we'll see
FirstRodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:30 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I too am of the" smell the roses as you go along" camp. Until we go full time our trips are limited to 3-4 months at a time and usually will pick an area to explore. And we too after a month in one are need to return to see what we missed.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:44 PM   #12

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstRodeo View Post
Saddlesore, What type of fishing do you find that you can fill a freezer? Can't be Bass. The DW keeps telling me she's going to fish with me on to road She does better in salt water than fresh for sure, we'll see
Fresh water is trout, kokanee,various types of salmon(spawn runs) and sturgeon....
salt water is salmon, halibut, ling cod, flounder,snapper....
It may take me a while to fill the freezer but I've got the time ......
And a coach that enables me to stay a while..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:12 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:

Mike,
Me & DW have found that where ever we go there is never enough time. Go figure. We still make plans but we still miss the mark sometimes (one place too long, another too short). So we like to leave A LOT of wiggle room in our plans, and when not certain and going to a popular place/area we error on the side of staying longer than we think we need. Most of the time it works.

I'm no expert but have RV'd since the mid 80's. Now retired of course. We did one of those "sightseeng" trips with our kids in the mid 90's (Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Rocky Mtns, etc). It worked for what we intended. We've gone back to many of the same places, sometimes more than once. And the kids have never forgotten (and have been back with us). So, for sure, folks need to take some of those whirlwind tours. We've also been wagon masters for groups. Not anymore as the schedule was too ridged (again causing us to re-visit, backtrack, etc.).

Have fun in your travels.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:15 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I can't wait to take my 1st trip without any restraints. Been doing too many 500-600 mi days to get somewhere, get as much done as possible, then get back home for work. That's about to change. We'll see how much the home base means after a few months on the road.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote