Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2023, 06:44 PM   #1

Blackrock Mountain State Park CG big enough for ...

...a 30ft travel trailer? Going to be in the area the second week of April.
Thanks
Homeby5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2023, 09:54 PM   #2

This campground is on a mountain and has a steep mountain road going up to it. Most of the camp sites are small, but they do have a few 40 foot or so. You probably should call the park at 706-746-2141; explain your camper and tow vehicle to get their advice.
I camped near there a number of years ago and drove my Jeep to check it out, but do not remember it clearly; except that I did not want to attempt getting my motorhome up there. I suggest giving them a call as it is nice.
Thanks,
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 10:11 PM   #3

Tight, but yes, it will fit. I have stayed up front twice with my travel buddy, first trip I had the 23ft motorhome, he had a RAM 3500 dual wheel long bed with a 30 ft Avion. Second trip I had my Bigfoot and he had his 24 ft or Forest River Surveyor. Last time we were there, there was a couple with a huge fifth wheel toy hauler, it and the truck he had just barely fit in one of the spots. There are spaces in the back that are long but difficult to get into because they are square to the road and not angled.

One issue is that to get to the front spots (or the rear ones) you have to navigate a section of pavement several hundred feet long that is near vertical rock and briers on the left and a guard rail tight on the right, 10 ft of asphalt, then around the loop and back the other side to get to the front, facing out so you can back into the front spaces.

There are a couple of tight switchbacks on the road in, with guard rails. One guy at work was lax and ended up scraping his 5th wheel on the guard rail. its about an 8% grade for a couple of miles.

https://gastateparks.org/sites/defau...22_sitemap.jpg

Here is the campground map and park map (click on the campground area on the left to enlarge it). sites 17-27 are only for tents or camper vans, very steep up into that area. Sites 5, 12, 13 , 15, are best. If you are a 5th wheel, you might get in some of the sites in the back. My buddy was in one of those with the Avion (but I was not there) so I don't know how he did it. site 12 used to be an ADA site but they let me stay in it and my buddy was in 13. The second trip I'm not sure but I think I was in 7 and he was in 9 with his shorter trailer. He pulled out and backed to the dump station by the bathhouse, but for me the loop site 8 had just vacated so I made a U turn and went all the way around a second time to get lined up on it.

Sites 28-38 might be doable but have never driven back there so I don't know for sure, I walked back there and thought I might get in, but I'm only 23 ft. Don't even think about site 16. Its dogleg and only suitable for a car and a tent or a car and a popup. One step out the door and you are OK, second step and its several hundred ft down, and I'm not kidding.

Pics are all from 2017 trip and are sites 12 (motor home) and 13 (avion). Sunset pic is from viewing platform hanging off the side of the mtn, other view is from the visitors center looking down on the town of Clayton GA.

Last pic is August 2022 trip. I'm in the foreground with bronze RAM and 23 ft Bigfoot, and my buddy is behind me to the right in a Forest River Surveyor of about 24 ft and the white RAM 2500. This is sites 7 and 9 I think. The one I am in overlooks the one on the far left, site 5. I step out of my trailer onto the wall dividing the sites. Bath house is on the far right, dump station and trash building beyond that and the class C in the distance is the host site #14.

This photosphere from Google Maps was done from right in front of the bathhouse.

https://goo.gl/maps/xmzYy7QP5s1HGSyA9 click on the link and you can then use the mouse to spin around and look up and down.

Charles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Black_Rock_Mtn_Both_of_us.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	482.4 KB
ID:	388801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Black_Rock_Mtn_Ram_Avion.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	421.4 KB
ID:	388802  

Name:	Black_Rock_Mtn_Sunset.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	388803   Click image for larger version

Name:	Black_Rock_Mtn_View_Visitor_Ctr.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	313.4 KB
ID:	388804  

Name:	Black Rock Mtn Aug 2022.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	429.4 KB
ID:	388806  
Old 03-24-2023, 11:14 PM   #4

As an alternative is to stay at Tullulah Gorge SP which is south on US 23 about 14 miles. You could just day trip to Black Rock Mtn SP from there, I have never stayed at Tallulah Gorge but it is rated as one of the nicest parks in the state.

Be sure and visit the Foxfire Center in Mountain City. The turn off to the park is hard to spot, only one little sign. Don't know if you have ever heard of the Foxfire Books but this is the origination of them.

Charles
Old 03-25-2023, 08:17 AM   #5

Tallulah Gorge is a great state park, especially if you are a healthy hiker and can hike down into the gorge. Even taking a leisurely hike along the top of the gorge will give some good views. The visitor center is also very interesting and well worth a visit.
The campground is easy to get to, but does have a couple tight turns in the campground some sites are tight to get into, but it is not too difficult. I made it in there in 2016 with a big RV. My notes say there are several back-in sites in the middle and a couple pull-thru sites closer to the bathroom that are easy sites. The Chattooga River is nearby and you can watch kayakers go through Bull Sluice. When I was young and crazy I canoed that river through there. Great memories!
Cross Creek Campground in Clayton, GA is a nice campground with only 22 sites and is convenient to the Gorge and Black Rock Mountain. We stayed in it the next year. The park owner at that time was very helpful when I called him.
Just above Dillard there is a nice resort, River Vista Mountain Village, on the way to Highlands, Cashiers and such. Good waterfalls in the area.
You will enjoy that area.
Thanks,
Old 03-25-2023, 06:40 PM   #6

Thanks so much guys. Great info and wow....such detail.
I know my truck can pull my camper up as it's a F350 diesel but I think I will pass because the electric sites are reserved for when I need them. I think I may try Willow Valler CG? My friend stayed for two months and said it's nice and it's centrally located so we can take day trips to all the main places including Ashville.
Thanks again.
Old 03-25-2023, 06:43 PM   #7

Let me ask you guys, wife and I have a nice inflatable kayak we use in Alaska. Not into rapids though. Are there some nice rivers in the area for easy kayak trips?
Old 03-25-2023, 08:03 PM   #8

I was going to suggest the Tallulah River north of Lake Burton, but its not deep enough for a kayak, if it is, its probably flowing too fast, like now, from all the rain they have had.

This is a nice drive, several Forest Service campgrounds along Tallulah River RD which turns into Tate City Rd. Mostly paved but turns to gravel at some point. The Google street view car went as far as Tate City.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.9233...5374932,14.59z map marker is the beginning of the Tallulah River Rd. Well, marker didn't take but the Nichols Campground is almost at the beginning of the road and it goes UP from there to the NC line following the river, several other campgrounds along the way.

Here is a photosphere that someone made standing in the river https://goo.gl/maps/VyT9FauVtwB7ErCs8 This is at the Tate Branch Campground NFS.

Nice afternoon ride if nothing else.

Willow Valley RV Resort just off uS 23 north of Mountain City? That is a L...o...n...g drive to Ashville. If you pull the camper on north, take US 23 to Sylvia and then US 74 to Waynesville. DO NOT go north of Cherokee on US 19 with the trailer. I have and wished I had not. Its on tribal land and is narrow with guard rails on the edge of the pavement. We were going to Balsam Mtn campground off the Blue Ridge parkway, or Mile High, I forget, they are the same turnoff the BRP. After that, I take the parkway from Cherokee up, but there are the lowest tunnels on the parkway and if you are tall, its a problem, crunch!!!!

https://www.blueridgeparkway.org/tunnels/ Tunnel list starts at the north and goes south, the bottom several tunnels are the ones you encounter from Cherokee (south end of the BRP) headed north. All of them from Grassy Knob Tunnel down the list are from Ashville south to Cherokee.

I can suggest lots of places to stay, but most are without power, and few have water on site. Even the campgrounds in the GSMNP are all without power or water except for ten sites at the newly reopened Look Rock campground on the Tennessee side. We go to Mt Pisgah on the BRP nearly every year. Its cool so no AC needed at 5000 ft. The NC Arboretum is worth an afternoon visit. Its just off a BRP exit near Biltmore and the French Broad River at Ashville. Lots of tubing on the French Broad River in that area. At Ashville is the Lake Powhatan Recreation Area & Campground which is Federal, but operated by a contractor, also at the Arboretum. I think it has hookups. Yes 21 sites with 50 amp.

NC is about water falls. My travel buddy and his wife and I have visited Mingo Falls at Cherokee, Soho Falls north of Cherokee, several falls at Bryson City in the GSMNP, several in the Dupont State Forest, Linville Falls, Crabtree falls, Looking glass falls. Some of the falls I mentioned were used in the movie the Last of the Mohicans, which was filmed entirely in NC.

First pic is Second Falls at Graveyard Fields, milepost 418.8 on the BRP
The 30 ft Avion and my MH at Mt Pisgah, sites 32 (left) and 33 (right)
Not sure what this waterfall is, we have been to so many. Might be the same as the first pic, but from further away.
My truck and Bigfoot in A32 at Mt Pisgah, same site the MH is in in the pic above it. Mt Pisgah poking up in the background. I hiked up it.

Mt Pisgah Campground is nice as it is across the road from the Inn, so there is cell service if you walk up to the road or the inn, also a general store (icecream!) and good views behind the Inn.

Charles
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image015.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	497.6 KB
ID:	388862   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170627_081908984.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	466.3 KB
ID:	388863  

Name:	IMG_20170627_172921664_HDR.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	322.7 KB
ID:	388864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Site A32 Mt Pisgah.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	371.8 KB
ID:	388865  

Old 04-01-2023, 06:59 AM   #9

Ok...looking at Tallulah Gorge SP and it appears the sites are either 25ft or 50ft. My model is a 26 footer. Probably about 30ft total to tip of hitch. Does anyone here use this park? Would my trailer fit in the 25ft sites? There is only one available and no 50ft sites available.
Thanks
Old 04-01-2023, 09:28 AM   #10

I would suggest you call the park directly and they may can help with site suggestions. The numbers on the website are Park 706-754-7981 and
Campground Office 706-754-7979.
Thanks,
Old 04-01-2023, 08:20 PM   #11

See if this helps any at all with a decision. https://www.campsitephotos.com/campg...state-park-001

Also a video, same stills as the link above but much larger and easier to see.https://youtu.be/I76uFXuXk3c

Charles
Old 04-01-2023, 09:26 PM   #12

You might consider looking East into the NW corner of South Carolina. There are two large lakes (Jocassee and Keowee) and they have a number of state and county parks on those lakes. Land is a lot flatter there. SC highway 11 is the Cherokee Foothills Scenic Parkway and Keowee-Toxaway SP is on the lake and this highway, and further east is Table Rock SP which my travel buddy stayed at and he said it was nice. Several other campgrounds in the area.

DO NOT attempt to travel with the trailer on US 178 from the point where it crosses SC 11 up to the town of Rosman in NC. It passes thru and area called Rocky Bottom and is a neat drive, I drove it with a 23 ft motorhome and also pulled a 20+ ft Thor trailer thru there, but it is non stop switchbacks that require both sides of the road for a trailer. The same warning goes for US 276 from the NC/SC state line down thru the Mountain Bridges Wilderness area.

On US 276 below Brevard, almost to the SC line at Cedar Mt is a private campground, https://www.blackforestcampground.com/

The family goes to great lengths to help you with attractions and places to see and things to do, and even providing detailed directions and maps to get you there.

https://www.blackforestcampground.com/attractions.htm

This was the trip where I pulled the trailer thru Rocky Bottom. At Rosman I talked with my buddy on the phone. We were on the way to Mt Pisgah and he had driven up thru Ashville and got there only to find it was full. I started calling and the folks at Black Forest were more than accommodating, and she said we could be in adjoining campsites. Its a tight turn off the highway (but not too bad), and a good climb to the campground office (and a huge gravel parking and turn around area) and we got checked in and went to our sites. We spent two nights there, and explored the DuPont State Forest and the waterfalls, and several other locations. We called Mt Pisgah on Sunday morning and they had opened up so we raced up there and spent two more days.

My buddy had sold the Avion by then and is in the Winnebago trailer in this pic. We didn't realize until it was too late, that the site I was in with the Thor was set up with hookups both ways, and I could have pulled in, hooked up and we would have been facing each other.

Charles
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Black Forest Family Campground.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	987.5 KB
ID:	389382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Signs at Rocky Bottom.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	896.5 KB
ID:	389383  

Old 04-01-2023, 09:37 PM   #13

Charles, thanks for noting the campsitephotos.com website. I never knew about that site, but have it marked in my computer now. That is good.
When I stayed in Tallulah Gorge SP in 2016 I was in a pullthru site number 42 or 43, which was long enough but I had to back out to leave since driving out was too short of a turn (just for anyone's info). The park is great and my site was good, just tight but doable.
Thanks,
Old 04-02-2023, 01:35 PM   #14

You've been given some good alternatives to Black Rock State Park. I wouldn't think about taking a travel trailer or fifth wheel up there.

The Tallulah River State Park south of Clayton would do you well. If you're wanting an alternative, there's a Moccasan Bend State Park on the incredible waterfront of Lake Burton. Go Hwy 76 west of Clayton about 10 mi. and turn left on Hwy 197.

Alternatives again would be Unicoi Springs State Park at Helen or Cherokee Campground outside of Helen.

I keep my 5th wheel in a member owned campground at Unicoi Springs.
JoeJunior is offline   Reply With Quote