Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2016, 06:07 PM   #1

Blue Angels from RV park

I want to see the Blue Angels in Pensacola. Can they be viewed from Big Lagoon State Park? If not there, is there any RV park within view of this great show?
RottenRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2016, 06:18 PM   #2

Why not just drive over to the base and watch them? Civilians are allowed on that base still. If your retired military there is a campground on base. As far as seeing the show from Big Lagoon, I'd imagine you'd see them coming and going, but not quite like it would be from the airstrip on the base.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:43 PM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
As stated, civilians are allowed at the airfield where the Blue Anges practice. It's about a half mile from the campground on base. Well worth the visit.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:58 PM   #4

You can see the blue angels from anywhere around the base or Perdido Key. It's takes a long area for them to turn.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:35 PM   #5

If you ever get out to California for the winter the Blue Angels practice there from January to early March. This is at the NAF in Seely CA. There is a fairly nice RV Park right in the flight path. And best weather in the country at that time. I used to live down there and watched them practice every day at 10:00 AM and 2:00 PM.
Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:41 PM   #6

Fort Pickens campground is just across the sound from the end of the runway. The campground runs about $15. We went on base to watch them practice and it was awesome. You are right on the runway at the Naval Aviation Museum. Volunteers give you a narrative and tell you what maneuver is coming up. Don't miss it. It is all free by the way. We are planning a trip again this may and will probably take in the show again! If you plan on going to the July Pensacola Air Show , you may already be too late for reservations.
znt1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:45 AM   #7

Thanks for the reply's and information.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenRalph View Post
Thanks for the reply's and information.
The Blues are normally at their winter home at NAF El Centro, CA until sometime in March. Their first air show of the year is also at El Centro in March.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:42 PM   #9

This is our fourth year staying at the campground in March and April across from Forrest Sherman Field located on NAS Pensacola (summer home of the Blues). The Blues practices are not guaranteed on the stated days because of weather or other reasons. If you go to the Museum to see the practice (back behind it on the end of the runway) get there early if you want to sit in the stands. The seating is not that large. You can take folding chairs but no coolers and there is plenty of room for that. There is ample parking for autos and RVs at the Museum. Again for the best viewing get there early! The museum is free and there is an old fort and lighthouse close by that are very interesting. The west gate to the base on Blue Angels Parkway is the best way to get to the mentioned attractions from points west. I think all you need to go aboard NAS Pensacola is a valid state drivers license.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:57 PM   #10

One important point I failed to mention is when the Blues return to Pensacola and are practicing for the first time the place is packed with people. People are parked all over the place after the Museum parking lot is full. Again, if you go to see the first practice session you really need to be there early! The Blue Angels website has info so always look at that before you go. Now, the website will probably not state if a practice is cancelled.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:12 AM   #11

This picture was taken just inside of the main gate at NAF El Centro, CA. It's a mid to late 1950s USN F11 Tiger.

Most all of the other jet age aircraft used by the Blues are also on display there.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=13539

If you are interested in military aircraft you might like my blog about them. There are a couple of sections (postings) about the Blues, one with more pictures I took while staying at the RV park in El Centro while they were there at their winter home.

My Military Aircraft Pictures

Don't forget to click on the "older posts" tab at the bottom of each page.

I've also written some stories about my service in the navy on some of the posts.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:10 PM   #12

Thanks again for your help. I have been wanting to see the museum in P'cola but have been held back because my wife didn't think she would be interested. We went to Gulf State Park last week to escape Mardi Gras and found a free 1/2 day to see the museum. Needless to say, we both though it was awesome and discovered that 1/2 day just wasn't enough time so we will go back soon. The volunteers and workers at the museum were terrific and would go out of their way to answer any question and give personal history of some of the exhibits. We rode the trolley though the older birds outside where we were given great narratives of there use and history. All the time we were on the trolley, pilots in training were doing touch and goes on the nearby runway.
Again, this is an awesome place to visit and should never be passed up if you are in the area. I am not military so RV'ing at the base is out for me. We will be making every effort to see the Blue Angels this July. FastEagle, thanks for sharing those pics. Looks like a lot of stories in them.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:50 PM   #13
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There is no substitute for sitting in the bleachers watching them take off, touch and go and land. I have viewed them from both the runway and the RV park 1/2 mile away. The RV park has trees and the view is blocked in many instances and you only see a glimpse of the "birds." Go to the runway - never regret it.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:28 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The "Snack Bar" in the museum is not your run of the mill place to eat either.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote