Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2015, 05:30 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Speaking of Fog, we were there , about 11 months ago, up around the Peaks of Otter, arriving later in the day. As we climbed toward the Campground, the fog began to set in-we would hit patches of Fog-then Clear areas. Visibility became about 20 feet at Campground. We walked to the Lodge and enjoyed a wonderful evening in that crisp air.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2015, 05:35 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
X2 on checking tunnel clearances. A couple of them near the north end are in the 10' and 11' range.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:37 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
My recommendation would be to travel either of the US highways directly on either side of the BRP (at least in VA), use the various campgrounds along the way and enjoy the BRP in you toad. Many trips Front Royal south on the BRP on motorcycles. And WRT speed, much is 35mph and patroled heavily by Park Service patrolmen that have little use for speeding.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 05:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti Brown View Post
X2 on checking tunnel clearances. A couple of them near the north end are in the 10' and 11' range.
Besides bridge/tunnel clearances, also watch for bridge weight restrictions. There was one bridge that had a 7 ton limit, and I was over. I was lucky to be able to pull over, and I called the park service. After 20 minutes on the phone, they said that requirement was for commercial only, and that I could pass over it. I decided to decline anyway. Can't remember where exactly that was, but it did happen :-)>
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 05:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
My recommendation would be to travel either of the US highways directly on either side of the BRP (at least in VA), use the various campgrounds along the way and enjoy the BRP in you toad. Many trips Front Royal south on the BRP on motorcycles. And WRT speed, much is 35mph and patroled heavily by Park Service patrolmen that have little use for speeding.
This is what we did also, except we used the Dually.
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:05 PM   #20

If you're going to do that you should stay in TN right outside of Pigeon Forge at Anchor Down RV Resort. Incredible campground that will spoil you and you find very few to match it. The parkway isn't far from there and you can go two ways, to NC or to GA. Stunning views!!

HR Ambassador 38 PDQ 360DP
cdinatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:24 PM   #21

We have driven the BRP multiple times in our motorhome with now problems. There are many beautiful campgrounds along Parkway so you could stay in them and run around in the toad. They don't offer hookups tho.

Perfect time of year, you should get great fall color now.
WanderingToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 01:12 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
You can fit the entire length, stay to the middle of the tunnels as they are domed. Most of the tunnels are in North Carolina. The biggest issue with a motorhome of your size is the very limited availability of parking/camping on the parkway. So planning is key as the parkway is also limited access. As one noted, your are fine once you get up there.

There are plenty of spots to use as a base camp for the MH and venture out of in the toad. IMHO, the most scenic part is the south end from the Linville Viaduct to Cherokee. Asheville NC is a great base. Mt Mitchell just to the north (tallest Mountain east of the Mississippi) to Clingman's Dome in the south. Highest point is just south of Asheville. Also the Biltmore Estate is in Asheville, truly picturesque views of the mountains.

If limited in time, don't try to see it all. Concentrate on one area, once you've been you will be back for more.
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:12 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Here is a link that list many camp grounds along the parkway and other trip planning information.
http://brpatravelplanner.nomadmobile...ite/index.html

Sent from my iPhone6 using iRV2 mobile
Old 10-01-2015, 04:46 PM   #24

I have done about 200 miles of it in a car. Two lane posted 35 mph as I recall. I would like to do part again in our MH. That said I also bear in mind that I can bail at many points and get to good high speed road. Assuming I get to do it I will pick sections that have something interesting and probably skip a few that look really nasty because I can't drive and watch scenery at the same time. That and the fact that 500 miles of slow going watching essentially the same scenery gets boring after while. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:24 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
We are Floridians, consequently,we find the the Virginia, North Carolina, & Tennessee sections to be breathtakingly beautiful because of the terrain. We have a smaller Coach and there just isn't a part too curvy for us. Matter of fact, I feel the yearn to return.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:03 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
I think the BRP is only in Virginia and North Carolina. It does not go into Tennessee, though to continue the journey from the end of the parkway over Clingman's Dome to Gatlinburg is as pretty as any portion of the parkway.

Denny, You should drive up to Cape Bretton Island and drive the Cabot Trail, that will give your Coach a yearn...
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:22 AM   #27

This is my favorite BRP map
http://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisi...BLRImap1-1.pdf

Both these attractions are off the parkway but worth the trip:
The Biltmore Estate is a must see while you're in the area along with Mount Airy, N.C. if you were a fan of The Andy Griffith Show.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:05 PM   #28

Probably not any wrong answers here...however I would stay in a few places with relatively close access to the parkway and do several loops including the parkway and adjacent side roads. For example you could stay near Cherokee on the south end of the BRP and enjoy that end of the parkway and go up 441 to Clingmans Dome as suggested. Stay at one of the many RV parks around Asheville/Marion/Black Mountain and take in Mt. Mitchell and surrounding area. Futher north to Boone/Blowing Rock area and day trip in that area.

Get a detailed map of the area and you'll find some great forest service roads that are practically unknown to many that visit the area. You can take a day trip loops around the area. Check their condition before hand, but in many cases they provide beautiful off the beaten path drives.

As mentioned beware of some of the roads used to access the BRP, many of which are not meant for big rigs or tractor trailers. For example I used to ride my motorcycle on NC 80 from Marion NC up to the BRP and beyond and the turns are so tight I would scrape the foot pegs.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote