Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2016, 04:20 AM   #1

Boston area in the winter?

Super Newbie (as in, don't even have a MH yet)--but to make a long story short, I'm hoping to be in a rig about a year from now and my job will be sending me on an extended trip to the Boston area next winter--up to a couple of months isn't out of the question. I'd love to be able to take the RV (and the furbabies) with me.

Sadly, it looks like many of the RV parks in the Boston area are seasonal only and stop reservations in mid-October or so. Does anyone have any recommendations for the Boston-area for any year-round sites?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Michelle
THTRMGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2016, 06:21 AM   #2

We are in the Circle CG Rv park in Bellingham, MA about 1hr from Boston. They're open year round. Closest we could find that was still open.
Hawaii Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:39 AM   #3

Thanks so much! From your post it sounds like you're there now. Is it crowded since it's the only one open in the area that you've found? Would you stay there again? (not that there are a ton of options) Is there a train route into the city nearby?

I bet they'd think I was getting a bit ahead of myself if I called to make a reservation and had no answers... What size RV? Um, no clue, don't have it yet. What specific dates? Um, no clue, site's currently under construction. How long will you need to stay? Um, no clue, depends on how the training goes, etc.

Here's hoping it won't be too much of problem to get a reservation when I know more.
THTRMGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:59 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Michelle,

As a planner from hell - I too like to get my reservations done early.

Most places will take your word on what the specifics of your coach are - I "assume" you have good idea of what you will be purchasing. But not knowing dates could be an issue......but they can also be "approximate" and changed when you know for sure.

I would be more concerned with the coach and the cold weather.

Look for a coach with a heater blower in the wet bay area and heat pads for your tanks.......this will most likely be a diesel pusher........

If you have this figured out already - my apologies - good luck in your search and travel plans.

g
Old 10-19-2016, 12:00 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

Michelle--- We have stayed at the Circle CG several times over the past few years. Also there now, actually. Nice woodsy place, friendly owners, reasonable prices.
They do stay open, and there is a commuter rail station about a 10-12 min drive (Forge Park station). About a 1:00-1:10 min ride into Boston, IIRC.
Check http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/rail/

Normandy Farms in Foxborough also stays open year 'round. It is about 15 min from the rail line, (Franklin or Norfolk station), and a bit under an hour into Boston. NF is a higher end resort, and noticeably pricier than Circle.
I have not stayed at NF, but understand it is quite nice. Circle CG, however, is better situated for convenient shopping, restaurants, services, etc.
On a separate subject, be sure you select a coach that will handle very cold weather. I was born and raised in Boston, and have lived most of my life there. We left a few years ago because we had had enough of the winter and wind. Three times I've seen the ocean freeze. Be ready for the probability of a lot of snow. A lot. Numerous days with temps in the teens, and there will likely be a stretch of several days or a week or so below zero. You'll spend some money on propane. Just so you know..... Good Luck!!

HAWAII DICK---- where are you located at Circle CG? I'm the gray DS in the back woods, past the pond.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:20 AM   #6

We were there as of yesterday but are now in Connecticut. I would stay there again as it is the only one available. I would rate it a 7 overall and it was pretty full but not over crowded. Yes, there is a train into Boston.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:36 AM   #7

JFXG,
We were in #26 tan Meridian with silver unlimited. Sorry I didn't get your response before we left. We're positioning ourselves to drop the kids off at JFK on Friday am. Any idea about that drive from Riverdale farm campsite in Clinton? 80 degrees today but we need to head west before it snows as we store the coach in Washington state. Aloha!
Old 10-19-2016, 12:23 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

Hah! We were 2 doors up from you in 28.
JFK is easy from there. I95 south and when you enter NY follow signage for I-678 and the Whitestone Bridge. Stay on I-678- it will eventually be called the Van Wyck Expy- and it will take you right into JFK. Watch the signage, it is good. There are splits and lane shifts.
You might think twice about doing that in the coach. That stretch of I-95 in southwest CT used to be easily one of the worst roads in the country. When I'm heading west from here I always go through central CT on I-84.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 04:18 AM   #9

John,
Thanks for the info on JFK. We're not talking the coach but your detailed info will make my wife feel a lot easier. Safe travels to the two of you and maybe we'll run into each other again.
Dick
Old 10-21-2016, 12:11 AM   #10

Normandy Farms USED to be open all year but they now close from Dec 1- April 1.
soos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:53 AM   #11

We ended up in Florida, NY at Black Bear RV park and the drive into JFK took about 2 hrs this morning. A little hectic because of the morning work traffic but okay in the jeep.

Tags
winter