Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2021, 08:07 PM   #57

I'm an avid bourbon fan (and most whiskeys or whiskys depending on the origin and would be happy to visit with you at length on the sprits if you so desire. (Bill@EnchantedEagle.com) A few years ago we "did" the Bourbon Trai. Our base was at the Elkhorn Campground in Frankfort, KY. I wrote a couple of blog posts that you may find of interest; Tour the Buffalo Trace Distillery – Enchanted Eagle
and Four Roses Bourbon – Enchanted Eagle. Of all the distillery tours my most enjoyable was the Buffalo Trace Distillery, the employees were engaged and didn't seem to mind answering the same questions over and over. The staff at Wild Turkey were tired and were a bit short with people. After a long summer and long days I'll cut them a break. We arrived about an hour before they closed up for the day and the week. Consider visits to Maker's Mark, Woodford Reserve, Heaven Hill, and Jim Beam to name just a few.
Ag Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2021, 08:31 PM   #58

Distilleries

Download "Google Maps Pro" and search for distilleries in Kentucky, or whatever state you're interested in.

Happy SAILING!
Jautry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:04 PM   #59

If you will be on the Bourbon Trail on interstate 64 near Frankfort Ky look up Elkhorn Creek Campground. It is a fantastic place , call early to make reservations. If in Lexington, you can stay at the Kentucky Horsepark Campground. It is a 1st class place. The Kentucky Horsepark is next to it and a great place to visit. There are many whiskey distilleries on interstate 64. You will enjoy the drive in Bourbon Country. Message me if you have any questions.
Bob
ky bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:03 PM   #60

I live in Bardstown, Ky. There are 6 distilleries in Bardstown or within 1 mile of Bardstown. They are Heaven Hill, Barton's, Willetts, Lux Row, Preservation and Bardstown Bourbon Company. Jim Beam is about 15 miles northwest of Bardstown and Makers Mark is about 24 miles southeast of Bardstown.

There 3 campgrounds in and near Bardstown. The My Old Kentucky Home state park has an older very reasonable campground but is not big RV friendly. White Acres is run by a very nice local couple and then there is one already mentioned above by a small lake (Lil' Patch of Heaven)

In addition to distilleries at the state park during the summer there is an outdoor drama about the life and music of Stephen Foster. We also have a civil war museum that has been ranked the 4th best in the nation.

The Old Talbott Tavern was mentioned above. It was built in 1779 and its previous visitors were Abraham Lincoln, Jesse James, General George Patton, King Louis Phillipe and many other famous people. See talbotts.com. It is a restaurant, bar and has 21 overnight rooms. The bar is the oldest bourbon bar in the world and features over 300 bourbons. (Full disclosure: I have a ownership interest in the Talbott Tavern).

For more information on Bardstown see https://visitbardstown.com/.

If you have any questions feel free to email me at jskjr99@yahoo.com
jskjr99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 06:17 AM   #61

bourbon trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmp View Post
With any luck the COVID crap should be behind us by mid July so the DW & I decided to hit the Bourbon Trail. We want to leave St. Louis, MO mid to late July into early/mid August. Neither one of us are big bourbon drinkers, just driven to it by COVID. Our goal is to go through TN and into KY hitting about 6 or so distilleries in total. Don't know the difference between bourbon & whiskey.

One stop we want to make is the Jack Daniels Distillery, Buffalo Trace in KY is also on the list. Geo Dickel is said to be a worth while tour. Maker's Mark Distillery & Prichard’s Distillery were also suggested.

We plan to camp our way around in our 26' RV hitting one or two, at the most per day, and are more campers than RV park people.
Looking for suggestions, preferences and cautions on both distilleries, restaurants and campgrounds.
Thanks
good deal on visiting distilleries. one place you should visit is bardstown, ky. there are several there or within easy driving distance. jim beam in claremont, ky. is very good. next is the barton distillery. this one is free. makers mark is a short drive. several more close to or in bardstown.

we always stay at white acres. it's about 2 miles outside of bardstown and is very quiet. ask for a site in the old part where there are lots of trees.

for eating, on your way to whit acres there is a seafood restaurant on the left , just out of town. there is also the stephen foster restaurant which is a buffet. it's a small one but the mashed potatoes have lumps in them. there is also mammys and old talbot inn. try the hot brown at talbot and look around, esp. the second floor and the bar.

many good historical places. ky railway museum, lincoln's boyhood home on knob creek, my old ky home. in louisville, there's the ky derby museum and cave hill cemetery.

most of the distilleries on the bourbon trail, itself, are foo foo ones.

enjoy your visit. clarence
clarncyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 07:14 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky bob View Post
If you will be on the Bourbon Trail on interstate 64 near Frankfort Ky look up Elkhorn Creek Campground. It is a fantastic place , call early to make reservations. If in Lexington, you can stay at the Kentucky Horsepark Campground. It is a 1st class place. The Kentucky Horsepark is next to it and a great place to visit. There are many whiskey distilleries on interstate 64. You will enjoy the drive in Bourbon Country. Message me if you have any questions.
Bob
I'll second Elkhorn Campground . I stayed there long-term when I had to take a job away from home in Lexington. They are great people the property is well maintained. It's well-located for exploring the Bourbon Trail, so you might consider making Elkhorn your base camp. They have a few monthly spots. Highly, highly recommended.

The Kentucky Horse Park Campground is nice, but doesn't have any full hookup sites. We've stayed there on some long weekends.

My Old Kentucky Home State Park Campground is small, but also nice. They have a very small number of full hookup sites, so reserve early. If you stay around Bardstown, the COVID stuff has subsided, and the Stephen Foster Story outdoor drama is running again, I recommend it. They also usually put on a second musical show on alternating nights.

I haven't stayed there, but we did a driveby of White Acres Campground in Bardstown. It looked like a good place to stay near Bardstown. More modern and roomy than My Old Kentucky Home State Park Campground.
Old 01-11-2021, 01:37 PM   #63

Being an RV Forum - we Arrived in Bardstown by Chance - 4:00 - "Honey find us a Place to spend the Night" -

- https://lilpatchcampground.com/ - was the choice - easy directions worked to get us there - Checked in on Line - arrived and greeted - given options - made a choice.

Parked and watched the sunset - set across the Lake out the Front window.

Had the Option of FHU's but chose the View and Dumped when we left - which because it was so Nice - Quiet - and the Town of Bardstown was just Cute!

Wal*Mart just a few miles away - so we could restock and because of Covid they Delivered to the Car.

Spent three days as it was just relaxing.

Six weeks later we returned and stay a couple more nights - son sent us shopping For a special Bottle of Small Batch to bring Home - Just ran to a nice Liquor store and got the entire Bourbon Whiskey Bardstown Story from the Store owner - Brought home a couple Bottles of Willets Rye Reserve -Son Loved it!

Few Pictures and hoping to return during the Festival Week.

Great Town and Enjoyed the Park.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9271 (1).jpg
Views:	38
Size:	532.9 KB
ID:	314184   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9276.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	400.2 KB
ID:	314185  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9316.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	442.0 KB
ID:	314186  
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 02:07 PM   #64

Kentucky versus Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
Bourbon is a kind of whiskey. Others are Scotch, Rye, Canadian, Irish, etc. Jack Daniels is a bourbon like whiskey that can't call itself bourbon because KY only allows its products to be called bourbon, and JD is from TN.
In Kentucky you have Kentucky Colonels and bourbon. In Tennessee you have Tennessee Squires and sipping whiskey. Both offer good ones. Leave the mixing for the lower quality offerings
mrcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 04:30 PM   #65

Newmar Owners Club
Charlestown State Park, outside of Louisville is a nice CG to use as a base. You could spend a week there, then move over to Whispering Hills park, Lexington area to visit distilleries in that area. Highly recommend Makers Mark, Buffalo Trace, Heaven Hill, Four Roses, Jim Beam. Also really recommend Independent Stave Company, a cooperage that makes the bourbon barrels. You'll have a great trip!

Airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:59 PM   #66

Bourbon is made from a grain mash that contains at least 51% corn.

Bourbon also must be aged in new charred oak barrels, and cannot include any additives or colorings.

Bourbon is a type of whiskey, much the way that champagne is a type of wine. So all bourbon is whiskey, but not all whiskey is bourbon.

Planning on doing the Kentucky Trail after we both get the virus shots, hopefully by May!
ArcticRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:04 PM   #67

I hate bourbon, but enjoy this thread. I was born and raised in Bardstown, moving away just 8 months ago. From my deck, I could watch the trucks going in and out of Barton's when the leaves were off the trees. The closest warehouse was only a couple hundred yards from our house. I went to school with Jim Beam's master distiller, Fred Noe (actually Freddy to us) and knew his dad Booker, as well. I'm not sure of the identity of "jskjr99" above, but I would bet I know him.
GeorgeandTheBear is offline   Reply With Quote