Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2023, 04:05 PM   #1

Brevard County Fla. imposes outrageous rate hike

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/n...s/69801552007/
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2023, 06:29 AM   #2

$48/night doesn't seem bad at all, expecially compared with private RV parks in the area. The county should not be susidizing non-residents stays at tthe parks. Also, 90 day stays seem reasoanble to me.
In the article it says ""Oh, we won't come back," Doug Hilton told FLORIDA TODAY surveying the scenery around the campsite. "State campgrounds are $600 a month compared to this, which is going to be $1,200 a month.""
Well--- max stay at our state parks is 14 days, unless you game the system, which many snowbirds do , so that you can't officially stay a month . Also, state parks rates are in line with what Brevard will be charging.... I booked a site at Pennekamp ( I was lucky) and it was $36 for the site, $6.70 booking fee, $7 for electric--- $49.70 then add tax and they are actually more expensive than the county park proposal.
Old 01-31-2023, 08:41 AM   #3

Unless you're a resident of Brevard Co. you probably won't get much of a say in the matter.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:59 AM   #4

90 days in a public park???? Is the county trying to create additional housing instead of providing recreational opportunities in their park system? 14 days like the state and federal parks is much more reasonable.
Bigceasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 10:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigceasar View Post
90 days in a public park???? Is the county trying to create additional housing instead of providing recreational opportunities in their park system? 14 days like the state and federal parks is much more reasonable.
90 days is better than the 169 days

On top of the price increases, the county also limited the of time that guests can stay at the campsite to 90 consecutive days from 169 days in the past.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 10:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigceasar View Post
They lowered it to 90 days, it used to be 6 months.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 10:42 AM   #7

Supply and demand.
We have a problem with non local snowbirds coming into southern NM and AZ and taking over our very cheap county and state parks for the entire winter. Even though we have a 14 day limit, they just move from one to another.
Rule changes had to be made to allow use by locals and avoid abuse by all. One was higher prices for everyone for the higher demand and even higher prices for non -locals.
I fully support it. Time will tell if it is an effective change or not.
Reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 10:42 AM   #8

Foretravel Owners Club
Many Municipals are now requiring that even private RV parks and Members only Lodges/Aeries be limited to 14 day to 90 day stays per Year..
Many Times these limits are "Forced" upon the Lodges and City/County/Municipal & State campgrounds by the Existing Private Campgrounds that Do Not Want any Competition for available customers.

This Really Sucks for those of Us that depend on finding a monthly rate that is compatible with our meager SS [net] incomes.

.. The only exception I've seen to the 7/14/90/120 day limits is for The "Camp Host"/Work campers..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 11:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Many Municipals are now requiring that even private RV parks and Members only Lodges/Aeries be limited to 14 day to 90 day stays per Year..
This Really Sucks for those of Us that depend on finding a monthly rate that is compatible with our meager SS [net] incomes.

.. The only exception I've seen to the 7/14/90/120 day limits is for The "Camp Host"/Work campers..
The purpose of public parks and even private parks was never to provide long term residency . Our campground licenses specified we were allowed to provide “temporary “ accommodations. Since some people feel parsing the English language to fit their needs is appropriate it becomes necessary to specifically define “temporary “. Hence you get those maximum stay laws.
The mission statements of most public parks is to provide recreational opportunities. Housing falls to a myriad of other agencies and departments. If you truly need long term, low priced space for your RV in places where those rules are in place and enforced, you might need to explore mobile home parks as an alternative.
Bigceasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 12:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reprobate View Post
We have a problem with non local snowbirds coming into southern NM and AZ and taking over our very cheap county and state parks for the entire winter. Even though we have a 14 day limit, they just move from one to another.
There's nothing wrong with moving to a different state park within a state. That happens throughout the country.

Moving within one campground is not allowed in the AZ state parks. We volunteered at them and it is closely monitored.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 01:15 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Jetty Park, also in Brevard County, hiked their rates a few years ago. There was the same uproar. So now Manatee Park has. People were staying in place for 6 months at a time at a very low rate. I guess it was good while it lasted. Now they are just sore that they have to actually pay close to the going rate for campgrounds.

It costs more now to run/operate parks, so I see it as the county finally catching up to everyone paying their fair share rather than residents having to supplement the parks' operations.

Brevard residents now get to sign up for a site a month earlier too I think.

I'm a Brevard County resident so I'm OK with folks having to pay their own way now rather than residents supplementing those campground (and the long term tenants).

And really - it isn't an outrageous hike. It's resetting pricing to align with reality.
Old 01-31-2023, 02:23 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
As a Florida resident , I can honestly say They won’t have any trouble filling it even with the short ? 3 month max! And higher rates. My feeling like some others I guess is if your staying the winter find a private park. Public parks should be short term only 14 days 30 maybe.
The article says park “residents “ will go elsewhere but I think they will find cheap days of camping are over.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 02:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
Jetty Park, also in Brevard County, hiked their rates a few years ago. There was the same uproar. So now Manatee Park has. People were staying in place for 6 months at a time at a very low rate. I guess it was good while it lasted. Now they are just sore that they have to actually pay close to the going rate for campgrounds.

It costs more now to run/operate parks, so I see it as the county finally catching up to everyone paying their fair share rather than residents having to supplement the parks' operations.

Brevard residents now get to sign up for a site a month earlier too I think.

I'm a Brevard County resident so I'm OK with folks having to pay their own way now rather than residents supplementing those campground (and the long term tenants).

And really - it isn't an outrageous hike. It's resetting pricing to align with reality.
+1 on all of the above...we are Brevard County residents as well.
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 03:03 PM   #14

After a bit of digging I found the rate sheet. And Brevard County residents will _not_ pay the supposed going rate for public camping; they're getting a sweetheart deal.

It's $27/day for county residents and up to $46/day for non-county-residents for the same amenities. This is a clear message that the county doesn't want snowbirds there and also makes the CGs rather unattractive to other Florida residents, giving county residents virtually their own CGs. Long Point park, which has a lagoon view between mangroves is now $16/day higher for non-county-residents than Sebastian Inlet State Park which is on the inlet and a walkable distance from the beach.

https://www.brevardfl.gov/ParksAndRe...mpground/Rates