Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2018, 06:25 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm not sure how critical it would be with your TT, but it would probably be best to replace springs on both sides so that they are matched. The unit might have a slight lean to the other side once the broken spring is replaced.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2018, 06:55 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
If your spring broke, make sure you double check the shackle hangers. Especially if heading to Alaska in the future. On our 16' trip to AK. I saw a good deal of shackle hangers breaking where they are welded to the frame.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:47 PM   #17

Okay, I will be canceling my Good Sam Roadside Assistantance. They are useless. We waited three hours in a rest area to hear from their so called provider and after hearing nothing I told them we were going to limp 9 miles east into an campground rather than stay in the rest area. Still heard nothing. Then I called them again and was told the provider had gone to the rest area and we weren’t there, so I would have to pay for another call! I told them they were useless and to cancel my membership and refund my dues that were paid until 2020. Know what they said? You will have to call the dealership Monday to cancel!! What a worthless, useless piece of crap! I’ve bought two trailers from Camping World, but I’m done with them. End of rant.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:52 PM   #18

Can you jack it up and slip a block in to get you to CG?......Between axle and frame
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Can you jack it up and slip a block in to get you to CG?......Between axle and frame

We limped 9 miles to a campground. Will wait until Monday and see about getting it fixed.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:32 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher003 View Post
We limped 9 miles to a campground. Will wait until Monday and see about getting it fixed.

Hi Bfisher.

Didn’t you break a spring back in Alaska? Glad you were at least able to make it to a campground!

Camper Dad and Camper Jo
CamperDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:20 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We waited over 12 hours on a Sunday for a tire stem. Hang in there.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:04 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperDad View Post
Hi Bfisher.

Didn’t you break a spring back in Alaska? Glad you were at least able to make it to a campground!

Camper Dad and Camper Jo

Well hello there! It wasn’t the spring that broke in Alaska last year; it was the rear spring hanger on the same wheel. Great to hear from you.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:05 AM   #23

You might find a spring at a farm supply store or any kind of trailer dealer. They are nothing special, think out of the box and call sources other than RV stealers.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 12:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
You might find a spring at a farm supply store or any kind of trailer dealer. They are nothing special, think out of the box and call sources other than RV stealers.

Good idea. Thanks. The campground also recommended a local mobile RV Repair guy who has done a lot of work on RVs here and his rate is pretty reasonable. I left a voicemail a few minutes ago and hope he can come tomorrow.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:02 PM   #25

I also should apologize for my rant yesterday evening about the situation. If I offended anyone I am sorry. My frustration level got a bit out of hand and overloaded my normal good judgment.
Old 04-01-2018, 03:42 PM   #26

Happy Easter Bill and Jeri! I didn't realize that you were on another epic trip! Looks like you have had some unexpected adventures on this one! Although, I can think of much worst places to break down than San Antonio. Hope you found a nice CG to wait it out.

We are at 82 days until our Maine/New Brunswick/Nova Scotia trip and I tried to leave flexibility in our schedule to deal with those unplanned "adventures" like yours. Booking our last campsites in Nova Scotia tomorrow.

As ever - if find yourself down around Tampa, send me a PM. There is an Elk lodge nearby with a Captain on the table for you.

Cheers,
Todd and JoAnne
CamperDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 05:27 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperDad View Post
Happy Easter Bill and Jeri! I didn't realize that you were on another epic trip! Looks like you have had some unexpected adventures on this one! Although, I can think of much worst places to break down than San Antonio. Hope you found a nice CG to wait it out.

We are at 82 days until our Maine/New Brunswick/Nova Scotia trip and I tried to leave flexibility in our schedule to deal with those unplanned "adventures" like yours. Booking our last campsites in Nova Scotia tomorrow.

As ever - if find yourself down around Tampa, send me a PM. There is an Elk lodge nearby with a Captain on the table for you.

Cheers,
Todd and JoAnne

Hi, Todd. Happy Easter to you and JoAnne. I’m quite a bit calmed down today from last night. LOL. We managed to limp 9 miles east to the River Bend RV Park near Luling, TX. We got their last available site, but had to move to another campsite today because the one we were in was a “one night only site.” They understand our situation and are working with us. I have a call into a mobile RV repair guy the campground suggested. Hopefully he can get us fixed tomorrow and we can continue homeward. The main thing that upset me yesterday evening wasn’t the breakdown itself, but the way GS Roadside Assistance handled it. The initial GS guy was great, but after that it fell apart and the service provider they used told them he contacted me, but he didn’t. I don’t know what happened there. I called GS and told them that since it was getting late in the day we were going to limp to an RV park and I told them where, but that didn’t seem to get passed on to the provider. And every time I called GS I was on hold for 10-20 minutes or more. Frustrating. Either they were dealing with a lot of other RV problems or they are very understaffed.

I hope you guys have a great trip—it sounds like it will be. Yep, ya gotta expect the unexpected.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:01 AM   #28

Another vote of confidence in Good Sam road service, it seems. Hope you were able to get your situation repaired and on the way home. Things like that happen to all of us and it becomes really irritating when you pay for an extended service that you can never get and end up having to deal with it yourself. I share your frustration.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, alaska trip