Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2021, 08:04 AM   #1

Bucket List.

- BUCKET LIST -

This would be a, been to Bucket List;

My top 10 would be the drive to and thru these places; my second 10 would be the destinations.

1. Yellowstone, Wyoming – coming into the Tetons from RT 26 through Dubois, then coming in from the south and leaving through the Beartooth Pass and Chief Joseph Highway this would include Cody, Wind River Canyon, Flaming Gorge NRA , Dinosaur NM and (#7) The Grand Teton NP. What I would call my Grand Tour of Wyoming.

2. All of Southern Utah This would be a the Shoulder seasons or winter – this drive would include Arches and Canyonlands NP’s, Capitol Reef NP, Escalante NM, Zion, Bryce NP’s, with a drive around Lake Powell, and because we have time we’ll do the North Rim of the (#8) Grand Canyon. Note here, any and All State Parks are added as/if we come close - Just too many to list.

3. The San Juan’s of Colorado, for the life of me I can’t understand how this area has been so left out of the National Park system other than it has so many private landowners (silver mines and coal), starting on this would be the drive to Ridgway from Moab through Bedrock, Colorado, the Mountains. We would go over/down to Lake City taking the Alpine loop over to Silverton (just the tow car and only if it’s tough and 4X4) leaving to Ouray then over to RT 145 pass Lizard Head Pass, thru Dunton and Rico to Cortez slipping into Mesa Verde NP, then possibly taking the Durango to Silverton RR before backtracking the Million Dollar high all the way back to Montrose and Gunnison and the Black Canyon. While in Colorado I would try to time it so as to be able to do the drive again to Maroon Bells, starting in Leadville - Buena Vista area and going through Independence Pass during the last week of September when the Aspen have turned.

4. Ashville, NC is the start of the next trip – heading to Lake Toxaway on RT 64, better have your driving gloves on and pray for light traffic, from there to Cashiers and Highland heading NW to Silva and the Pisgah National Forest getting on the Southernmost part of the Blue Ridge parkway heading north till your just worn out. (Might just catch a quick hike in the Great Smoky Mountains NP). These are some of the most beautiful and wild mountains in the US. This is where they filmed the Last of the Mohicans, the waterfalls are everywhere.

5. Glacier NP – Going to the Sun Road, need I say more We Will need to time this to start in late June early July (SNOW - Often Going to the Sun Road is still closed on the first of July ). Just driving anywhere around this park will give you a rush, just follow the rivers and stay by the lakes in both the East and West, and need to also push up into Canada.

6. Canyon de Chelly NM. Will always go by this spiritual place of the Navajo Indians (Window Rock will be included) usually coming from or going to the Grand Canyon going through the Four Mesas to Grand Canyon NP, will also be sure to include Page – Monument Valley – Horseshoe Bend on the Colorado and another visit to the North Rim and the Slot Canyon of my choice.

7. The Grand Teton NP. See number #1 it's only number seven because I got to see it when I did #1 IMHO it's so good if I saw it every year, I'd Still go back. In order to see these Rocks it will require you to do a good bit of driving - Need to see it coming from YNP from Jackson and from Dubois - RT 26 and then again from the West - Victor - Driggs - Island Park, as it is just different from every Viewpoint and time of day, the Mission is to see the Rocks from every direction, every light all times all Weathers so different so Beautiful I will never tire of every View, every Season.
After all/each of these drives - find your favorite Cocktail and enjoy it for a week or two as you just stare at these Beautiful Rocks.

8. The Grand Canyon NP. See #2 its only number eight because I saw it from the High Side (North Rim) on the drive on #2. Even though you will need to include more than just the Canyon - Sedona - and Lake Mead and Lake Powell both deserve some time while in the area. When I was Younger I had hoped to Do a raft trip with My Boys and their families – Haven’t figured out how to Load the Bed on a Raft -  - So might just send them.

9. Yosemite and Sequoia (actually all of California) they are this late only because I just don’t like to drive in California – It’s just not for me anymore Luckily, I grew up there as a Kid and One son went to College there, so I was fortunate enough to have enjoyed it before, well before it Just Changed and became what it is today (sorry as I had so much time there it just is not the Same, not what I knew and Loved) add to that, it is almost always crowded.

10. Three way tie for tenth -- Carlsbad, Olympic and Cascades NP’s these are always hard because my wife thinks they are so far from everything but trust me these are great drives and beautiful places that are well worth the effort to see and explore. Generally they are not crowded – that was years ago – and these areas also have become popular and often Crowded – Added note here if You or the DW enjoy wine – that may make this even better. 

As you can see I've been working on this, My Bucket List, and it has to be a LIST to qualify, IMHO, Sure there are places I have yet to go but having seen and experienced so many it would be great to just do them all again, maybe with the Granddaughters, Now that would be a trip of a lifetime, even if only a small portion. (Note here that Alaska - was – Should – and will be on most others lists – it was – just that time has Passed and in every one of the above listed spots – I still need more time to Experience them and Enjoy them)

So that’s my Bucket List- Filled with the Places I’ve Been and Loved, and Yes many are not included – as I have spent the Majority of my life in Maryland – I would be negligent if I did not also mention all the museums and the City of DC – but I grew up here and still visit and it has lost it’s luster with me – still it would qualify for most others – and for me to not mention the Beach – Rehoboth and Ocean City – we have been there every year for over 50 years – it never gets old, and with each generation it has a rebirth.

Sorry to get carried away – but – it’s Winter, we are not in the RV – It’s Snowing – and I thought this would be a Nice diversion for many who are Planning or Dreaming of the trips to take.

So instead of just sitting and Dreaming – Share your List – LIST – more than just one or two and Why.

Thanks for letting me Meander down the Bucket List Road. 
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2021, 09:04 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
That's a great list and I can't add much to it. The only one I haven't done is Canyon de Chelly and that's on my list. The only ones I can add that we have done would be Niagara Falls, Arcadia NP Maine, Sleeping Bear Dunes & UP Michigan, Jekyll Island Georgia and the outer banks.

One big surprise we found in California is Lone Pine. I booked there thinking just somewhere fairly close to Death Valley (which we loved). The area around LP turned out to be a highlight of our CA trip. The Mount Whitney vista behind the Alabama Hills is spectacular. If you are an old western buff you have seen the Alabama Hills in well over 200 movies and TV shows. Also, the SciFi movie with Kevin Bacon, Tremors and the 30's movie Gunga Din were filmed there.
https://www.blm.gov/visit/alabama-hills
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NW-237.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	318467   Click image for larger version

Name:	NW-238.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	318468  

Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 03:54 PM   #3

We've been to all of the above and loved every one of them!!

Quickly... I'll add 'To-Dos' that we returned to often:

- Michigan, especially Sleeping Bear Dunes Nat'l Lakeshore

- Big Bend Nat'l Park, TX

- Custer State Park, SD

- Glacier Nat'l Park, MT

- Olympic Peninsula, WA

- Oregon coast and the Palouse in eastern

- Idaho - every inch of it!

- Arizona - Grand Canyon Nat'l Park - rafting trip on the Colorado River, Kartchner Caverns State Park - a living cave, Lost Dutchman State Park (all of AZ's state parks are great), a hike in the gorgeous Sonoran desert

- New Mexico - Santa Fe, Taos and the Enchanted Circle drive, Los Alamos/Bandelier Nat'l Mon./Jemez Springs/Valles Caldera area, Kasha-Katuwe (Tent Rocks) Nat'l Monument

- Alaska, Yukon, Canada

Oh My.... I have to stop!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 04:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We've been to all of the above and loved every one of them!!

Quickly... I'll add 'To-Dos' that we returned to often:

- Michigan, especially Sleeping Bear Dunes Nat'l Lakeshore

- Big Bend Nat'l Park, TX

- Custer State Park, SD

- Glacier Nat'l Park, MT

- Olympic Peninsula, WA

- Oregon coast and the Palouse in eastern

- Idaho - every inch of it!

- Arizona - Grand Canyon Nat'l Park - rafting trip on the Colorado River, Kartchner Caverns State Park - a living cave, Lost Dutchman State Park (all of AZ's state parks are great), a hike in the gorgeous Sonoran desert

- New Mexico - Santa Fe, Taos and the Enchanted Circle drive, Los Alamos/Bandelier Nat'l Mon./Jemez Springs/Valles Caldera area, Kasha-Katuwe (Tent Rocks) Nat'l Monument

Oh My.... I have to stop!!
No, no Please keep going ...... I tried to keep My list to 10X2 but I sure left Many, Many off.

We all have Favorite's and they change and we need to add to them - The Great thing is there is Just so much here to see and do. At some point we need to have Fav's, I just listed them.

The great thing is just being in the RV is Great Twogypsies we all love hearing Your Fav's!

JMHO,
Old 02-20-2021, 04:52 PM   #5

That’s a great list.
I can go for that list.
I have been to a few on your list
Gotta get going before it’s too late and I’m no longer here.

I would add
Acadia National Park
White Mountains of New Hampshire (real wilderness on the east coast)
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 07:31 PM   #6

Great list!!

I'd definitely add the Canadian Rockies to my list -- we have been there a couple of times and will almost certainly go again (when they reopen the border).

I'm also hoping to get to the Yukon and maybe Alaska before too long.

Mt. Rainier is another favorite, as are the California coastal redwoods.
Old 02-20-2021, 07:43 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
We are fortunate enough to have visited 50+ of the 63 parks that have ‘National Park” in their name. Let me start by explaining that after 6 weeks touring in the SW, when we got to AR, the kudzu looked great...finally a lot of green. We like the N Rim because it has real trees and fewer people. Not into the Bad Lands (well named) or Big Bend. We are not desert/ treeless people and I’m not trying to be negative...not my nature. What floats your boat may not float mine.

Glad we did Canyon de Chelly two summers ago, but it’s in the “one and done category” even though the Navajo guide mentioned he had a Mongolian birthmark...he didn’t explain his ancestors walked here when the oceans were 350’ lower 15K years ago from Asia.

Almost wish I had not been to Yosemite for the 5th time a couple summers ago. Between the huge burnt areas coming in from the west, dead pines because of the drought that lets the pine beetle get out of control and the smoke plus when I looked for Yosemite Falls from Glacier Point, I couldn’t find it...not enough water. I hate to remember it this way.

Took me awhile to figure out that out West in order for trees to grow well, it has to snow or be near the Pacific on a upslope so it rains. That makes anything in the mountains or Pacific NW high on our list of favorites. This includes the Canadian Rockies, Alaska, and even the lowly Appalachian mountains.

Contrary to the above I include UT in my favorites, the incredible diversity of geological woders is mind blowing but not in the summer although my days of hiking very far are over.

So my top ones are Yellowstone/Tetons, CO mountains and west side of RMNP, Glacier, most of UT including the N Rim, and the Smokey Mountsins.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:14 PM   #8

Is our list supposed to be places we’ve already been or want to go? We are just getting started in the rv (just over 1 year) but have always enjoyed road trips, and staying off the interstate when possible.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 06:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
Is our list supposed to be places we’ve already been or want to go? We are just getting started in the rv (just over 1 year) but have always enjoyed road trips, and staying off the interstate when possible.
Think this is sort of Like defining BoonDocking for Me - It's what you want to do before you Quit RV'ing.

As I've been fortunate and have traveled all my life and have seen most everything on my list, at least in a drive through - My Mission/Bucket List is to do the List with the Granddaughters. -

With Covid I was able to spend a month of the Summer, in the Rockies, with my two Son's and Wives with the 5 of the 6 GD'ers, Pretty close ......... now to do it again, as it was just the Best!

Really requires you to look over What and Where you would want to DO.

Keep it going, as everyone has a list, some just more organized than others.

Thanks,
Old 02-21-2021, 06:35 AM   #10

I had to cancel our trip last year to the four corners area, and hope to do it this year. We have been to the Tetons, YS, Black Hills, and would go back again tomorrow.
On our list to see is, Glacier NP, Canada, Michigan UP, Pennsylvania, and Boston.
Garyp4951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 06:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyp4951 View Post
I had to cancel our trip last year to the four corners area, and hope to do it this year.

We have been to the
Tetons,
YS,
Black Hills, and would go back again tomorrow.

On our list to see is,
Glacier NP,
Canada,
Michigan UP,
Pennsylvania, and
Boston.
All are Great - all so different - You should enjoy - Boston will not be enjoyable in the RV - Streets are Narrow - Very Narrow - I Know from driving the Class A on streets not wide enough for a Car.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:59 AM   #12

In 13 years & over 220K miles on the truck, purely used for travelling, we have done most all of the major attractions on most peoples bucket lists. Some multiple times. Even staying off the interstates, when possible, it is difficult to plan trips using roads not travelled before.

The trick is to return to areas visited before & see attractions missed on previous visits. For some, such as Yukon & Alaska, simply being there is the attraction.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:00 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
First line ^^^^ “ This would be a, been to Bucket List.”
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
We are fortunate enough to have visited 50+ of the 63 parks that have ‘National Park” in their name. Let me start by explaining that after 6 weeks touring in the SW, when we got to AR, the kudzu looked great...finally a lot of green. We like the N Rim because it has real trees and fewer people. Not into the Bad Lands (well named) or Big Bend. We are not desert/ treeless people and I’m not trying to be negative...not my nature. What floats your boat may not float mine.

Understand the Utah and the Desert South West being almost Treeless - Back before Phone/Digital cameras we used to take hours just shooting a pine just outside Zion on the Checkerboard Hill or the ones in Bryce among the Hoo Doo's. Point is you are not alone - but the trees that Survive in that environment are very Unique. What we were able to enjoy was doing that State in the Winter - spending Christmas for years with the Boys Skiing in SLC and then in Zion and Bryce Later. North Rim and those trees are just Amazing - even more so with Snow - interesting how the White and the Red Rocks contrast do beautifully.

Glad we did Canyon de Chelly two summers ago, but it’s in the “one and done category” even though the Navajo guide mentioned he had a Mongolian birthmark...he didn’t explain his ancestors walked here when the oceans were 350’ lower 15K years ago from Asia.

My Dad's Grandmother was full blooded Cherokee - So Canyon de Chelly has always just given me Goose Bumps, that are real - Dad was born in your state in Tallapoosa, small little town outside Atlanta on the River.
Missed it last Summer as The Navajo Nations was Covid Closed.

Almost wish I had not been to Yosemite for the 5th time a couple summers ago. Between the huge burnt areas coming in from the west, dead pines because of the drought that lets the pine beetle get out of control and the smoke plus when I looked for Yosemite Falls from Glacier Point, I couldn’t find it...not enough water. I hate to remember it this way.

As a Kid growing up in Cali - we visited long ago - often - and once you see it it will never leave you - your memory is similar to mine after returning to YNP after the Great Fire - it was just not the Same - Great but not the Same. For me Cali is just not the California I grew up in - Soooooo different - returning about 8 years ago by car for a day - I vowed to not return as it just hurts to see how much it has changed - and not for the Better, so fortunate to have seen it before. .........

Took me awhile to figure out that out West in order for trees to grow well, it has to snow or be near the Pacific on a upslope so it rains. That makes anything in the mountains or Pacific NW high on our list of favorites. This includes the Canadian Rockies, Alaska, and even the lowly Appalachian mountains.

Trees do make for Great Views - You are living in your Sticks and Bricks in a great area - Trees and Water - tend to make everything feel Good. The area around Lake Toxaway is one of my Fav's - still wild and Beautiful after just a short drive.

Contrary to the above I include UT in my favorites, the incredible diversity of geological wonders is mind blowing but not in the summer although my days of hiking very far are over.

Utah is just plain A Wonder of the World! - as the Grand Circle is truly Grand. One year you might just take a late fall in Utah arriving in your Florida Home Late, say after Christmas, Think you would find it right up your alley.

So my top ones are Yellowstone/Tetons, CO mountains and west side of RMNP, Glacier, most of UT including the N Rim, and the Smokey Mountains.

Not to Include an area for you - But thinking you also have enjoyed the San Juan's as they are truly Spectacular - JMHO - The 4x4 trail just never end - and it is Filled with Trees'
Thanks for sharing,