Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2018, 07:04 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Lightbulb Bucket List Destinations?

No matter your RV type, no matter the amenities (no requirements for electric, sewer, water - could be dry camping/boondocking) what are your OMG destinations that should be on everyone's bucket list to visit? This should be a campground or RV approved area that others can find and stay at legitimately.

Include the campground/destination name, location, details and if you want to get fancy find it in Google Maps in your browser and paste a google maps link to it.

GO
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2018, 09:34 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I like this, Neal, I'm still two years from retirement and building my bucket list. So far I have NAS Key West at the top, Padre Island up there too, but I gotta fill it in.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:37 AM   #3

I could post a handful of places that we have visited over the 6 years of full timing, but to keep it to the OMG places I would have to go with three for very different reasons.

Banff: Trailer court campground, full hook ups, amazing views and nature yet the town is about a mile away. So much to see and do in the area.

Ancient Redwoods Ave of the Giants in Nor Cal: Full Hookups, Amazingly graceful huge redwoods. One of the most relaxing places we have been in all our travels.

And here: (36.3821840,-112.3560736). Tent camped here a few years ago. Awesome. Roads are not RV friendly.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:44 AM   #4

Its Alaska 2021 for us, cant wait!!!!
Old 11-23-2018, 09:50 AM   #5

1. Not up to the full Alaska trip? Fly to Anchorage and rent a Class C. Head to Denali NP and then back to the Kenai Peninsula (or reverse the order depending on weather). We did this a number of years ago in July and had a wonderful trip.

2. Death Valley in January - The landscape is unbelievable and the weather is generally pretty nice.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
Ancient Redwoods Ave of the Giants in Nor Cal: Full Hookups, Amazingly graceful huge redwoods. One of the most relaxing places we have been in all our travels.
Thanks for the suggestion. We live in the Sacramento area but haven't camped in the Avenue of the Giants. It's also within striking distance of a number of other worthy spots along the northern California coast, too numerous to list.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. We live in the Sacramento area but haven't camped in the Avenue of the Giants. It's also within striking distance of a number of other worthy spots along the northern California coast, too numerous to list.

Take bikes. Riding amongst the trees is surreal.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3760.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	701.7 KB
ID:	226935
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:17 AM   #8

Start in Upper NY State in late Sept and then follow the changing of colors southward to GA

Rocket Launch at Cape Canaveral/Titusville---Cocoa Beach

ANY small town USA for 4th of July

Hoover Dam

Cabot Farmers Store...........Ben& Jerry's Ice Cream Factory
Greater Stowe/Waterbury VT
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
No matter your RV type, no matter the amenities (no requirements for electric, sewer, water - could be dry camping/boondocking) what are your OMG destinations that should be on everyone's bucket list to visit? This should be a campground or RV approved area that others can find and stay at legitimately.

Include the campground/destination name, location, details and if you want to get fancy find it in Google Maps in your browser and paste a google maps link to it.

GO
This is my go to Bucket list;

My top 10 would be the drive to and thru these places; my second 10 would be the destinations.

1. Yellowstone, Wyoming – coming from the south and leaving thru the Beartooth Pass this would include Dinosaur NP, Flaming Gorge and (7)The Grand Teton NP -- I'll also throw in the drive to and through Wind Canyon between Thermopolis and Shoshoni.

2. All of Southern Utah – this drive would include Arches and Canyonland NP’s, Capitol Reef NP, Escalante NM, Zion, Bryce NP’s, with a drive around Lake Powell, and because we have time we’ll do the North Rim of the (8)Grand Canyon. (will stop in as many SP's as possible Kodachrome and Goblins, for sure and if the timing is right let's catch a few of the Slot Canyons - Antelope)

3. The San Juan’s of Colorado, this would include Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP and the Gunnison National Forest, for the life of me I can’t understand how this area, the San Jan's, has been so left out of the National Park system other than it has so many private landowners (silver mines and coal), starting on Gunnison Reservoir (including Crested Butte) we would go down to Lake City taking the Alpine Loop over to Silverton (just the tow car and only if it’s tough and 4X4) leaving to Ouray then over to Telluride thru Dunton and Rico to Cortez slipping into Mesa Verde NP, then taking the Durango to Silverton RR before backtracking the Million Dollar Highway all the way back to Montrose and Gunnison, NP. While in Colorado I would try to time it so as to be able to do the drive again to Maroon Bells, starting in Leadville - Buena Vista area and going thru Independence Pass during the last week of September when the Aspen have turned.

4.Asheville, NC is the start of the next trip – heading to Lake Toxaway on RT 64, better have your driving gloves on and pray for light traffic, from there to Cashiers and Highland heading NW to Silva and the Pisgah National Forest getting on the Southernmost part of the Blue Ridge Parkway heading north until you are worn out. (Might just catch a quick hike in the Great Smoky Mountains NP). These are some of the most beautiful and wild mountains in the US. This is where they filmed the Last of the Mohicans. This is a Beautiful spring drive with the Mountain Laurel blooming.

5. Glacier NP – Going to the Sun Road, need I say more? Just driving anywhere around this park will give you a rush, just follow the rivers and stay by the lakes. (might need to head up to Banff while this close) Knowing this is a summer drive as it has often not opened till after July 4th. This is one of the places that deserves more time and is so popular that you will need to plan well.

6. Canyon de Chelly NM. Will always go by this spiritual place of the Navajo Indians usually coming from or going to the Grand Canyon, north or South ,going through the four mesas to Grand Canyon NP. Can easily catch Monument Valley and Page with the Slot Canyons along with Lake Powell.

7. The Grand Teton NP. See number 1 it's only number seven because I got to see it when I did number 1 and the bonus is to catch Yellowstone again. (see #1 )

8. The Grand Canyon NP. See number 2, it's only number eight because I saw it from the high side on the drive on number 2. As long as this is my dream might just throw in winning the lottery and a Rafting Trip down the Canyon.

9. Yosemite and Sequoia are this late only because I don’t like to drive in California and it is almost always Really Crowded, but these are both two of the most beautiful spots in America , so work them into your schedule.

10. Three way tie for tenth -- Carlsbad, Olympic and Cascades NP’s these are always hard because my wife thinks they are so far from everything but trust me these are great drives and beautiful places that are well worth the drive. Driving to each is always Great from almost everywhere.

As you can see I've been working on this Bucket List, and it has to be a LIST to qualify, IMHO, Sure there are places I have yet to go but having seen and experienced so many it would be great to just do these all again, maybe with the Granddaughters, Now that would be a trip.

Having driven back and forth this country more times than I can remember, one thing we've learned you will never see it all and every trip down every road will uncover a new adventure.

Take a look at Stan's Photo Album for some great shots -- many are waterfalls, so you might find a couple new spots to discover on your trip. - Stan Parker's Photo Galleries at pbase.com - this album is just easy to navigate and locate the Images you are going to see -Thank You, Stan.

BOL,

Sorry for not sharing Camping locations - as we seldom make reservations - the Campsite is generally just an afterthought so while many are exceptional - none compare with the drives or the Ultimate end locations. --
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:35 AM   #10

^^^^^^^
Busskipper nailed it!!! However, also add a summer in Alaska and a raft trip down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:49 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta (OCT),
Grand Coulee Dam & Lake FDR
Washington DC
Everglades
Mount Rushmore
Stone Mountain GA
All of the National Parks
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
^^^^^^^
Busskipper nailed it!!! However, also add a summer in Alaska and a raft trip down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon.
Thank You, got the raft trip on #8 but pretty sure we will park the Coach and take the Ferry or Cruise Ship to Alaska, 10 years ago it was on the list - Had the MilePost and was ready, timing just never worked for Us,

Still have not seen all the places completely on/in the list and have been to all more than Once...............SoooooooooooMuch to see and never enough time. --

Every List is a Good List!---
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 04:50 PM   #13
tcg

I had a should be dead heart attack a few years ago, full cardiac arrest and everything, I still don't have a bucket list but...

In 2017 we were at ground zero with the RV for the total eclipse, that should have been on a bucket list.

I can't recommend any park but in April of 2024 figure out a way to be in the path of totality. Watching it on TV or the internet can not compare to seeing it live in person.

There will be one more in the United States in 2045 and then that's it for our lifetimes. Trust me, you want to see it.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 05:19 PM   #14

My prior post was a suggestion for others, since we've done them.

My wife's and my bucket list trip is a one to the east coast, D.C, the Chesapeake, New England, etc. and back to California. We've done a lot of the west, southwest and northwest but not the east. I've lived near D.C. twice as an Air Force "Brat" but my wife, who's from Ohio, has never been there. I find the whole colonial area of the US fascinating.

I'd be appreciative of any suggestions, especially the best way to do D.C. One thought I had was to store the motorhome nearby and just stay in a hotel so as to avoid commute time. What do you think?

Tags
alaska, alaska trip