Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2020, 12:12 PM   #29

Ugh! So sorry.... I missed your requirement of '10'.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2020, 12:28 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Ugh! So sorry.... I missed your requirement of '10'.
As I would Consider you to be an Exceptional Veteran of the RV world, Rule #2 is we make Exceptions. - - -

I Actually had 20 - as the drives were the first Ten and the Locations were the Second Ten.

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 05:25 PM   #31

Well Skipper, you know how new I am to all this, with my nice shiny new black Dutch Star, all except southern Utah, gotta check out the north. But your list is going to have to be some of the fist ones we go to.
F150 Stealth XL by Rocky Ridge Trucks.
WhiskeySierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 06:50 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySierra View Post
Well Skipper, you know how new I am to all this, with my nice shiny new black Dutch Star, all except southern Utah, gotta check out the north. But your list is going to have to be some of the fist ones we go to.
Wolf, There are a couple that I'd Suggest to you right off the Bat - #3 and #4

3. The San Juan’s of Colorado, this would include Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP, Crested Butte - for the life of me I can’t understand how so much of this area has been so left out of the national park system other than it has so many private landowners (silver mines and coal), Back to the trip, At the Gunnison Reservoir we would go down to Lake City taking the Alpine loop over to Silverton and back (just the tow car and only if it’s tough and 4X4) then on to Ouray, for more 4x4 trails, then over to Telluride thru Dunton and Rico to Cortez slipping into Mesa Verde NP, then taking the Durango to Silverton RR before backtracking the Million Dollar high all the way back to Silverton, before rolling out on RT 160 to Del Norte, driving through Pagosa Springs. Now heading North towards Salida and Buena Vista I'd stop at Twin Lakes to catch Independence pass and Maroon Bells, before heading North to get to Yellowstone. Yes, if most of you Know I love Colorado and generally try to be in it for the Aspen at the End of September. This works really well for me as it puts me into Northern Colorado to run along RT 40 to Dino to start the trip for Number 1. Seems as if I've decided to spend the Better part of a Spring, Summer. on this leg. Might have just called this Colorado. -

4. Ashville, NC is the start of the next trip Actually could be the start of the drive from Maryland to the Rockies – heading to Asheville and the Biltmore to just enjoy some Of the History of the Era, we quickly stock up and head up to Lake Toxaway on RT 64, better have your driving gloves on and pray for light traffic, from there to Cashiers and Highland heading NW to Silva and the Pisgah National Forest getting on the southern most part of the Blue Ridge parkway heading north till your worn out. (Might just catch a quick hike in the Great Smoky Mountains NP). These are some of the most beautiful and wild mountains in the US. This is where they filmed the Last of the Mohicans. The Hiking and the waterfalls are just Amazing, and with the slight elevation is a respite, for many in the Summer. -

With this COVID-19 bending many of the plans we have all made - you may need to adapt away from Utah, as it appears it will be Summer and just too Hot soon.

The great thing is the simple Fact that these Big (and Small) Coaches are perfect as Quarantine Apparatus - so if the parks reopen and we can have a place to Dump/Fill we can stay fairly Isolated and still See and Explore a lot of the Country, with very limited interaction. (This will require many of us to exercise severe restraint to not interact)

Not sure of your restraints as to Travel time and time of year - but we have found that the weather and the crowds are what drive most of our travels (Granddaughter's have a lot of influence, now) and being willing to adapt will certainly pay benefits - Best time in Zion was just before Christmas, one year - Angels Landing, with maybe 6 other people on the trail, but the Landing All to Ourselves! and full Sun in shorts and T's - yes, heaven - - Best trip, of many to Yellowstone was end of October - beginning of November - again full Sun - No Crowds - and the Park to ourselves for a week of 65-70 degree days, nothing like it.

Hoping, you are using the Coach now, even if just in the driveway, to get the feel and work out the Kinks, as it takes use to do this, even for the Best of Planners. -

Last note for you - Take a picture Every night when you stop - this will be one of the Best Diaries Ever when you take the time to look back - Catalog them and save them, as they so often get left out and are just memories in you mind's eye.

Can't wait to follow your Adventures, as I'm sure they will be Awesome!

Thanks for Posting,
Old 04-12-2020, 07:04 AM   #33

1. South Dakota (Custer area, Black Hills) again.
2. Anywhere in Minnesota
3. Anywhere in Wisconsin
Old 04-12-2020, 07:05 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
BUCKET LIST - If this were the last trip - what would you want to SEE Again?

With the RV'ing World at a stand still right now, this seems to be Appropriate, at least in My Head. -

So the Question is have you even thought about taking that Next Big Trip - The Last Big Trip - Where/What would you select as your TOP 10?

Let's get away from the P'ing and M'ing about what we can't do right now because of COVID-19 and Let's Plan that Next trip. -

No Wrong Answers, Just Your Personal Favorites! What do You want to see, either for the first time or again? Make a list - long or short but let's talk about the Trips we want to Take.

I'll start it off as this is something I've been working on for Years;

This would be a Personal Bucket List;

My top 10 would be the drive to and thru these places; - my second 10 would be the destinations. I just believe that the trip is as good as the destination.

1. Yellowstone, Wyoming – coming from the south and leaving thru Cody, this would include Dinosaur NP, Flaming Gorge and (7) Grand Teton NP. As I exited to/thru Cody I'd spend a few days there just driving around, Beartooth Pass - Chief Joseph - Wind River Canyon would all be special visits, I just Love this part of the country, Most likely it would be after the first Snow had fallen and melted to help thin out the Crowds. -

2. All of Southern Utah (south of I-70) – this drive would include Arches and Canyonland NP’s, Capitol Reef NP, Escalante NM, Zion, Bryce NP’s, with a drive around Lake Powell, and because we have time we’ll do the north rim of the (8) The Grand Canyon. This could easily follow My Drive above as the Heat and summer crowds will have left here too, likely putting me in Zion for Christmas. -

3. The San Juan’s of Colorado, this would include Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP, Crested Butte - for the life of me I can’t understand how so much of this area has been so left out of the national park system other than it has so many private landowners (silver mines and coal), Back to the trip, At the Gunnison Reservoir we would go down to Lake City taking the Alpine loop over to Silverton and back (just the tow car and only if it’s tough and 4X4) then on to Ouray, for more 4x4 trails, then over to Telluride thru Dunton and Rico to Cortez slipping into Mesa Verde NP, then taking the Durango to Silverton RR before backtracking the Million Dollar high all the way back to Silverton, before rolling out on RT 160 to Del Norte, driving through Pagosa Springs. Now heading North towards Salida and Buena Vista I'd stop at Twin Lakes to catch Independence pass and Maroon Bells, before heading North to get to Yellowstone. Yes, if most of you Know I love Colorado and generally try to be in it for the Aspen at the End of September. This works really well for me as it puts me into Northern Colorado to run along RT 40 to Dino to start the trip for Number 1. Seems as if I've decided to spend the Better part of a Spring, Summer. on this leg. Might have just called this Colorado. -

4. Ashville, NC is the start of the next trip Actually could be the start of the drive from Maryland to the Rockies – heading to Asheville and the Biltmore to just enjoy some Of the History of the Era, we quickly stock up and head up to Lake Toxaway on RT 64, better have your driving gloves on and pray for light traffic, from there to Cashiers and Highland heading NW to Silva and the Pisgah National Forest getting on the southern most part of the Blue Ridge parkway heading north till your worn out. (Might just catch a quick hike in the Great Smoky Mountains NP). These are some of the most beautiful and wild mountains in the US. This is where they filmed the Last of the Mohicans. The Hiking and the waterfalls are just Amazing, and with the slight elevation is a respite, for many in the Summer. -

5. Glacier NP – Going to the Sun Road, need I say more? Just driving anywhere around this park will give you a rush, just follow the rivers and stay by the lakes. Issue with Glacier is the season is Just So Short - and it is Popular. Short season and Very Popular makes this very difficult for Me as while it may be one of the most Beautiful areas in the world, when you start stacking people on top of People, it make it hard to enjoy. Add to that the fact, that it seems as if you also have to work the visit in around the almost annual Forest Fire season. So I rank it High Number 5 but it is something that just has to Happen, as it can be a disappointment, if you hit any of the negatives - Rain/Weather - Crowds - Fires - Late opening of Going to the Sun Road. The Good thing for Me is I personally have had at least 3 Exceptional Trips here, so I seen just enough to Know I would Love to get Lucky again. -

6. Canyon de Chelly NM. Will always go by this spiritual place of the Navajo Indians usually coming from or going to the Grand Canyon going thru the four mesas to Grand Canyon NP. I like one of the former Candidates for President - have been told I have Native American Blood - while it matters little to me if it's true or not - when ever I come to this Monument I get Goosebumps, actually getting them just writing about it, so it has a special place for me, so it too will be High on my list. -

7. Grand Teton NP. See number 1, it's only number seven because I got to see it when I did number 1. Really not sure this is Fair - I can just drive to and sit and stare at those Rocks for Days, it has never gotten Old, this is just one Beautiful/Special Spot. It really does not hurt that you get to see it with every visit to Yellowstone.....just saying Special. -

8. The Grand Canyon NP. See number 2 its only number eight because I saw it from the high side on the drive on number 2. I will make this a drive through as crowds and I just do not enjoy each other, but it is and easy drive through - at the end of a late Utah excursion - before or after any visit to Canyon de Chelly - Page/Lake Powell/Monument Valley - so it's just easy, and Beautiful. -

9. Yosemite and Sequoia are this late only because I don’t like to drive/be in California and it is almost always crowded. Don't get me wrong, I've been often as a kid, I grew up in Cali and then had a son go to College there so I've been and will admit this is a Wonder of the World - if you are young and willing to grab a tent and enter the lottery to get a trip then go - go again and again as it is made for the young the people that can get away from the People, Lucky for me I've seen it as it is just hard to get into it - But for the Grands - We'll do it again. Oh Sequoia - did I Mention amazing you will just shake your head in amazement, it is that Good. -

10. Three way tie for tenth -- Carlsbad, Olympic and Cascades NP’s these are always hard because my wife thinks they are so far from everything but trust me these are great drives and beautiful places that are well worth the drive. Thinking that if I worked Number 10 in with a Drive up through California, timed it right to Catch Glacier then I could roll out to the south to Grand Canyon and Carlsbad, sounds like I'll need two years to pull this off. -

As you can see I've been working on this Bucket List for a while, Sure there are places I have yet to go but having seen and experienced so many it would be great to just do these all again, maybe with the Granddaughters, Now that would be a trip.

JMHO,

edit not - sorry this was so long -

We basically took much of that trip last August-Sept

During planning with the other parties going with us, we labeled a spreadsheet the "Yellowstone" trip with all our reservations, excursions...

And between you, me and the wall, Yellowstone ended up being well down the favorites for the trip - worth it for sure, but many other stops were enjoyed much more !

Year before was the Biltmore trip and for SURE stay a few days to do the guided behind the scences tour - it was great for the 6 of us !
Old 04-12-2020, 07:12 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSpor View Post
1. South Dakota (Custer area, Black Hills) again.
2. Anywhere in Minnesota
3. Anywhere in Wisconsin
Oh the Black Hills and Custer - that's a Summer right there - Just beautiful. Might look into doing My #3 if you love the Black Hills Pretty Sure the San Juan's would be right up your Alley.

Minnesota, need to be close to the 4th of July or you Miss Summer

Edgerton, Wisconsin was my summer home as my folks sent me to a friends farm to Learn a little when I was 13-15 - Dairy farming - Learned to Drive - learned to Work - Learned to Shoot - even learned a little about girls Yes, I too Love Wisconsin. Would love to go back to seethe Farm.

Thanks for posting,
Old 04-12-2020, 07:27 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
We basically took much of that trip last August-Sept

During planning with the other parties going with us, we labeled a spreadsheet the "Yellowstone" trip with all our reservations, excursions...

And between you, me and the wall, Yellowstone ended up being well down the favorites for the trip - worth it for sure, but many other stops were enjoyed much more !

Year before was the Biltmore trip and for SURE stay a few days to do the guided behind the scenes tour - it was great for the 6 of us !
Not to be argumentative - but those Ten, on my list, would take Me the better part of Two Full Years, if not longer. I'd have to rush it for Sure. -

Summer in Yellowstone with a Couple Hundred thousand of your new found Best Friends does leave something to be desired - the Great thing, as you've learned, is the Discovery that happens between the Plans Made and the Next location - those little secrets, you only learn from talking with the Local Knowledge as you travel.

Sounds as if you had one of the Trips of a Lifetime - it is one great big Beautiful Country.

As for the Biltmore - it's just the Label, so I can Drive RT 64 in the Mountains - truly one of the Most Beautiful areas/Drives in the USA.

Thanks for posting,
Old 04-12-2020, 09:34 AM   #37

Quote:
It amazes me how many have missed Canyon de Chelly - as it is truly Special, as is Monument Valley.

And both are just So Easy as they work so well in the Winter.
I would agree. They were some of the first places we visited in the '80s. We've come up through Monument Valley the last few years on our return from visiting my sister in AL on our way home in OR. We overnighted one year at Goosenecks SP, a beautiful, uncrowded but somewhat primitive, SP. Our kind of place. Nothing is quite as beautiful as GC or the S Utah parks with a sprinkling of snow.

Many of the NPs were NMs when we visited them in the '70s and 80s. They are probably a bit more crowded now, but still very much worth whatever it takes to see them.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 02:17 PM   #38

Skipper

The blue ridge is definitely closer to home and has gorgeous areas. But nothing recharges our batteries like Gods open west. Escapade got cancelled so we’re going to do some exploring in northern Utah, Wyoming and visit a friend in central Idaho. Then start heading East through the Dakotas. We’re scheduled for Spartan class at the factory in July then Oshkosh Air Venture at the end of July. Keeping our fingers crossed we can punch out of the south mid May. This great and beautiful country needs to go back to work yesterday. Hopefully the madness in Moab is over when we’re in a position to go there, if not, I cant imagine what those businesses will be like solvency wise.

We’ve gotten the Base Camp as ready as can be, unfortunately we can’t keep it near the house, but as you’ve said we’ll do the best we can and buy/do the rest as we go. We did get some nice Quiet Kat eMountain Bikes we can’t wait to get out on. Looking forward to crossing paths with you some time soon.
F150 Stealth XL by Rocky Ridge Trucks.
WhiskeySierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 02:27 PM   #39

Quote:
It amazes me how many have missed Canyon de Chelly - as it is truly Special, as is Monument Valley.

And both are just So Easy as they work so well in the Winter.
We've been to both multiple times. We dry camped right in front of the famous Mitten formation - when it just cost $5; now much more. A good memory of Canyon de Chelly was taking a horseback ride on the Canyon floor - just us and the Navajo guide. Gives me chills to think about it!! A beautiful experience.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 02:37 PM   #40

Of all the places we have been after 30+ years of TTs and MHs in all 50 states, the one place that stands out as really special is Chaco Canyon National Park. Its a real challenge to get to and the campground is bare bones but if we were younger we would go back. It is unrestored and preserved as it was found. To spend the night in the campground in the Canyon right next to the ancient ruins is amazing. We have been to most of the other ancient sites but they are more commercial and have been altered to attract the tourists.
Melvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 03:51 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvo View Post
Of all the places we have been after 30+ years of TTs and MHs in all 50 states, the one place that stands out as really special is Chaco Canyon National Park. Its a real challenge to get to and the campground is bare bones but if we were younger we would go back. It is unrestored and preserved as it was found. To spend the night in the campground in the Canyon right next to the ancient ruins is amazing. We have been to most of the other ancient sites but they are more commercial and have been altered to attract the tourists.
Just out of Curiosity - as I'd like to Go but only in the Toad - where would you suggest we park the Coach?

For the life of me it's just never been in my Head when we were close, it does deserve a bit of Time.

Thanks,
Old 04-12-2020, 04:22 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
1. I would agree with Number 3. The Durango Silverton railway and the railway museum in Durango are awesome. They should be on any railway buffs bucket list. Creed is worth a visit as is Pagosa Springs. Don't ride the brakes on Wolf Creek pass, keep the speed way down. If you visit Taos, visit the Taos Pueblo where the Tiwa have lived for 1000 years. The first massacre of Native Americans took place in the church here.
2. Sedona is magical and there is lots to see in the area, from the Verde Canyon Railway, to the ghost town of Jerome and Montezumas well.
3. If you are in Southern Alberta, visit Head smashed in Buffalo Jump park. The views are beautiful and the museum is worth the visit. The dinosaur museum in Drumheller is probably the best in the world. Of course Banff.
4. On the East Coast, the Virginia state park system has some great campgrounds. Shenandoah River State park is beautiful, especially in summer when you can tube down the river.
richardgood is offline   Reply With Quote