Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2020, 04:39 PM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Not to be argumentative - but those Ten, on my list, would take Me the better part of Two Full Years, if not longer. I'd have to rush it for Sure. -

Summer in Yellowstone with a Couple Hundred thousand of your new found Best Friends does leave something to be desired - the Great thing, as you've learned, is the Discovery that happens between the Plans Made and the Next location - those little secrets, you only learn from talking with the Local Knowledge as you travel.

Sounds as if you had one of the Trips of a Lifetime - it is one great big Beautiful Country.

As for the Biltmore - it's just the Label, so I can Drive RT 64 in the Mountains - truly one of the Most Beautiful areas/Drives in the USA.

Thanks for posting,

I did say basically
As the east and west coast stuff were on trips before...

By FAR though, last year through the "midwest" ? Texas west to colorado and north was the most picturesque trip we've been on...

Sitting on the banks of Jenny lake looking at the reflection of the Tetons - WOW... so enthralled by it, I forgot to take a pic until the wind picked up :(
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0249R.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	384.4 KB
ID:	281596  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2020, 05:10 PM   #58

Howdy!

We have been fulltiming for over thirteen years been to all the places listed. If we had to choose only one more trip it would be going back to Newfoundland again. When people asked what our favor place is in all our travels it would be LaScie, Newfoundland. It’s not a tourist trap, it just a very picturesque setting in a great place. We very much enjoyed traveling in Newfoundland for over three months our last trip.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 08:19 PM   #59

1. Washington/ Oregon Coast
2. Acadia Nat. Park, ME
3. White Mountains, NH
4. Yellowstone/ Tetons, WY
5. Outer Banks, NC (spring or fall only)
6. Glacier Nat. Park
Second tier
7. Traverse Bay / Petosky / Mackinaw
8. Smokey Mountains near Gatlinburg (spring or fall only)
9. Nova Scotia (north or south) doesn’t matter to me. (July only)
10. Anywhere on the Blue Ridge (pick your spot)
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:18 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
I did say basically
As the east and west coast stuff were on trips before...

By FAR though, last year through the "midwest" ? Texas west to colorado and north was the most picturesque trip we've been on...

Sitting on the banks of Jenny lake looking at the reflection of the Tetons - WOW... so enthralled by it, I forgot to take a pic until the wind picked up :(
Just Hard to Beat Jenny Lake - But Maroon Bells and Ouray are not Bad Either.

So much to see and Never enough Time. -
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:20 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneon View Post
Howdy!

We have been fulltiming for over thirteen years been to all the places listed. If we had to choose only one more trip it would be going back to Newfoundland again. When people asked what our favor place is in all our travels it would be LaScie, Newfoundland. It’s not a tourist trap, it just a very picturesque setting in a great place. We very much enjoyed traveling in Newfoundland for over three months our last trip.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon
Staying in a place that is away from the Crowd is a Great Choice. -
Old 04-15-2020, 07:28 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
1. Washington/ Oregon Coast
2. Acadia Nat. Park, ME
3. White Mountains, NH
4. Yellowstone/ Tetons, WY
5. Outer Banks, NC (spring or fall only)
6. Glacier Nat. Park
Second tier
7. Traverse Bay / Petosky / Mackinaw
8. Smokey Mountains near Gatlinburg (spring or fall only)
9. Nova Scotia (north or south) doesn’t matter to me. (July only)
10. Anywhere on the Blue Ridge (pick your spot)
Cyber,

Must be that most of our trips up North were to use our Skis - and the few trip in the Spring/Summer we had uninvited Guests - Black Flies - so the Rockies have been our Fav - Having lived and Traveled often on the East Coast, while Upstate New York and in and Around the Smokies can be pretty wild and Beautiful - I just breath easier, even at 8-10,000 feet in the Rockies - just me.

I love the Fact that we are able to get a Little East Coast Love on this Post - as it too, has it's Special Spots, that Many just Love.

Thanks for sharing,
Old 04-15-2020, 09:32 AM   #63

Chaco, Canyon de Chelly, north rim GC

Since these are part of this thread and we are looking at next year, a few questions.....

Chaco looks pretty remote, and not sure looks like much fun driving a ClassA from I40 up to there. It also appears that not much in the way of “camping” near the site other than a very small “rustic” campground, or am I missing something?

I see some campgrounds in Grants (80 miles to Chaco); is that a reasonable plan, and if so, if you get an early start can you see it in a day or is more time really needed.

Canyon de Chelly looks easy enough to get to on US 191 (I think at some point maybe I’ll end up driving that entire highway). And the Cottonwood campground there looks reasonable for a few nights. Again, how much time do you need to really enjoy it?

Grand Canyon North Rim
Where do you stay, and again how much time to allocate.

As far as “how much time” for us..... we are fit, like to take “day” / short hikes (5 or 6 miles in a day is usually no big deal) and really explore the places we travel too. And we have our Cherokee Trailhawk to get around in.

Thanks!
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 01:24 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
Chaco looks pretty remote, and not sure looks like much fun driving a ClassA from I40 up to there. It also appears that not much in the way of “camping” near the site other than a very small “rustic” campground, or am I missing something?

From I-40 on 550 is a very nice easy drive.
Probably the closest RV park would be in Bloomfield. Your 31' would fit in Chaco's campground. No hookups. The road to Chaco changes year to year and month to month depending on the rains. Having a big interest in Indian dwellings would help your experience there. Otherwise, there's a very nice ruins in Aztec, NM just north of Bloomfield. Also Bandelier Nat'l Monument on NM 84 is awesome.

Canyon de Chelly looks easy enough to get to on US 191 (I think at some point maybe I’ll end up driving that entire highway). And the Cottonwood campground there looks reasonable for a few nights. Again, how much time do you need to really enjoy it? Cottonwood c.g. is very nice and is the only decent place to stay near the Canyon. You can do the whole circular drive in a day. There are some hiking trails below the Rim. There are also 4x4 rentals and horseback tours below the Rim. I don't know if you can still take your own Jeep below. You do have to know where to drive as there is quicksand. A guide gives lots of good information/history.
You do not want to take your RV on Hwy 191 between Clifton, AZ and Eagar, AZ. It's extremely twisty, narrow and steep and there's no place to pull over once you make the commitment.
The rest of 191 is an easy drive.

Grand Canyon North Rim
Where do you stay, and again how much time to allocate.

Stay in the park. Your RV would fit. No hookups. We either boondock just outside the park gate or at the boondocking entrance road is a very nice forest service campground called DeMotte - no hookups. There's a RV park at Jacob Lake. Mid-Sept to Oct is a nice time to be there for the yellow aspen color. You can do the immediate park in one day - the overlooks. If you want to walk down the Canyon for a couple miles that would be another day. 4-wheeling the forest roads, another day.
If you do the North Rim and enjoy animals, you should take a tour of Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in nearby Kanab, UT. It's awesome in a gorgeous red canyon area. Also in Kanab is Coral Pink Sands State Park. You won't believe the color! Also, not far are Zion and Bryce Nat'l Parks & Cedar Breaks Nat'l Monument.

Hope you can make the trip. Beautiful country... especially with your Jeep!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 05:42 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
If you do the North Rim and enjoy animals, you should take a tour of Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in nearby Kanab, UT. It's awesome in a gorgeous red canyon area. Also in Kanab is Coral Pink Sands State Park. You won't believe the color! Also, not far are Zion and Bryce Nat'l Parks & Cedar Breaks Nat'l Monument.

Hope you can make the trip. Beautiful country... especially with your Jeep!

Thanks, as always your insight is greatly appreciated.

This will be our 4 extended trip to the western / mountain states since we got our RV in 2015, and while we will be re-visiting some of our favorite places we’ve already been to, we want to pick up some of the others we’ve heard / read about as well, including the 3 considerations here.

One (important) thing we’ve learned in the 5 years we’ve had our RV, is that you can never see everything in one trip, nor would you really want to either. Just too much to take in, and always one more place to go, or thing to do such as Coral Pink Sands and Cedar Breaks get added now as considerations.

I’ve got “version 1” of the trip laid out, and I’m sure there will be many revisions to come. The next question that we need to consider is which way to route the trip; start earlier in the spring and hit the warmer states (NM/AZ particularly) first and then head north / up in elevation, or or start later in the summer with our more northern destinations ending up in CO for the Aspens in the fall, and cooler weather in AZ/NM to finish the trip which is what we are leaning to at the moment .
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 03:34 PM   #66

I am sure glad nobody is coming to Florida, rite now there is 50% less traffic on our roads including all of the Interstates....
Florida Rang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 03:41 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
.... or or start later in the summer with our more northern destinations ending up in CO for the Aspens in the fall, and cooler weather in AZ/NM to finish the trip which is what we are leaning to at the moment .
This route would be our choice. Keep in mind that the North Rim buildings, restaurant, campground closes around mid-Oct. but you can still stay somewhere else and do the overlooks, etc.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 06:13 PM   #68

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to CruisinCondo
I have visited most of these places throughout our beautiful country as well. Since we live in Southern California, we tend to stay on the western part of the country. That said, no one mentioned Boston, Mass. There are so many historical museums and attractions in the area to see. In addition to the fresh mouth watering seafood, sweet lobster and steamer and cherry stone clams available in the area. Wampatuck state park in Higham, Mass. is a great place to call home base to see the area. It is located south of Boston and close to the cape for day trips. That said, our favorite place on earth is Lake Tahoe which we visit every year. Since 2010 I have been documenting our trips and rating campgrounds on my blog. www.
cruisincondo.blogspot.com
Old 04-16-2020, 08:02 PM   #69

I’d love a trip that simply winded back and forth the entire North America and hit all national parks, most civil and Independence Day battle fields and the like, all the Major League Baseball parks for an actual game, and a lot of manufacturing plants. (Ever see a John Deere combine or tractor being built? Amazing) That would be nicely diverse and breakup the monotony of just one kind of thing over and over.

I’ve been to most places of that nature already and I have a hard time picking any one park or other place over the other, but then yellowstone is a place I always swing by if I’m anywhere near it.
inkahauts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:05 PM   #70

EZ, the Black Hills of SD. my favorite place.