Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2018, 08:07 AM   #1

***** - Bucket List - Top 10 - *****

As it is now what many would consider the end of the RV'ing Season - Labor Day - I thought it might be fun to Share Your Bucket List - does not need to be long - but does need to be a list.

I'll start it off with Mine

My top 10 would be the drive to and thru these places; my second 10 would be the destinations.

1. Yellowstone, Wyoming – coming from the south and leaving thru the Beartooth Pass and down through Wind River Canyon - this would include Dinosaur NP, Flaming Gorge and (7)The Grand Teton NP.

2. All of Southern Utah – this drive would include Arches and Canyonland NP’s, Capitol Reef NP, Escalante NM, Zion and Bryce NP’s, the Hogback RT 12, with a drive around Lake Powell, and because we have time we’ll do the North Rim of the (8)Grand Canyon, along with as many State Parks, and National Monuments - Monument Valley.........

3. The San Juan’s of Colorado, this would include Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP, for the life of me I can’t understand how this area has been so left out of the national park system other than it has so many private landowners(silver mines and coal), starting at the Gunnison Reservoir we would go down to Lake City taking the Alpine Loop over to Silverton (just the tow car and only if it’s tough and 4X4) leaving to Ouray then over to Telluride thru Dunton and Rico to Cortez slipping into Mesa Verde NP, then taking the Durango to Silverton RR before backtracking the Million Dollar Highway all the way back to Montrose and Gunnison, NP. While in Colorado I would try to time it so as to be able to do the drive again to Maroon Bells, starting in Leadville - Buena Vista area and going thru Independence Pass during the last week of September when the Aspen have turned.

4. Asheville, NC is the start of the next trip – heading to Lake Toxaway on RT 64, better have your driving gloves on and pray for light traffic, from there to Cashiers and Highland heading NW to Silva and the Pisgah National Forest getting on the southernmost part of the Blue Ridge parkway heading north till you are worn out. (Might just catch a quick hike in the Great Smoky Mountains NP). These are some of the most beautiful and wild mountains in the US. This is where they filmed the Last of the Mohicans.

5. Glacier NP – Going to the Sun Road, need I say more? Just driving anywhere around this park will give you a rush, just follow the rivers and stay by the lakes, Oh the color of the Water and the Sky - will try to be luck and go early or late to avoid Wildfires, as they have changed the timing of the tourist seasons in the West.

6. Canyon de Chelly NM. Will always go by this spiritual place of the Navajo Indians usually coming from or going to the Grand Canyon going thru the four mesas to Grand Canyon NP. Normally will catch Monument Valley - Goosenecks - Antelope Canyon - Page - Lake Powell while on this drive.

7. The Grand Teton NP. See number 1 its only number seven because I got to see it when I did number 1 Jenny Lake and the Hikes around the shore, Simply a Beautiful Rock in a Beautiful Sky.

8. The Grand Canyon NP. See number 2 it's only number eight because I saw it from the high side on the drive by on number 2. Sunset Sunrise - and even try for a rafting trip one day. Sedona, Kingman and Lake Mead are usually included when I come South to Catch the Grand Canyon, for some reason I'll almost always enter or exit to the East.

9. Yosemite and Sequoia are this late only because I don’t like to drive in California and it is almost always over crowded, so without bashing the State I'll leave it at that as these are two off the Most Beautiful areas on Earth.

10. Three way tie for tenth -- Carlsbad, Olympic and Cascades NP’s these are always hard because my wife thinks they are so far from everything but trust me these are great drives and beautiful places that are well worth the drive.

As you can see I've been working on this Bucket List, for a long time and it has to be a LIST to qualify, IMHO. Sure there are places I have yet to go but having seen and experienced so many it would be great to just do them all again, but this time with the Granddaughters, Now that would be a Bucket List Trip.

JMHO,

Please think about it a bit and share yours.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2018, 08:39 AM   #2

I would only add a tour of Newfoundland (and Labrador) via the Trans Labrador Highway to Blanc Sablon crossing to St. Barbe, if they ever get the whole TLH paved and passable. It's such a shame that they can't get any traction (literally in some places) to get it done. It would open up a whole new land mass on the eastern side of the continent to explore. I think they'd quickly recover the costs through increased tourism, and the associated tax dollars they'd pull in.
Along the same lines, I'd also add a return to Denali and some of the other NPS places via a tour of Alaska, maybe to the Arctic Circle and back, using the AlCan on the way up, and the Cassiar on the return leg.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:14 AM   #3

A second thumbs up for Bryce Canyon on a nice day suitable for walking along the rim. Agree on the Utah parks and the Grand Canyon.

Canyonlands National Park for sure. I think a lot of people miss the viewpoints that are breathtaking. A bit of a drive (15 miles?) down a dirt road for one of them.

Have not been to New England but there are historic sites and natural wonders that are on my list.

A little off beat I guess but the Florida Keys and the bridges and causeways that gets you there. What an investment

Hard to top your list - nicely thought out
X-OEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 02:21 PM   #4

I am fortunate to have had the opportunity to visit most of the places mentioned except Yosemite. So here are my next ones.
Death Valley, Yosemite, Maine, all of the eastern seaboard, Vermont, New Hampshire, west coast highway, and Alaska

Leaving in 2 weeks for 3 weeks to hit Yellowstone again, portland and Death Valley. Nice to be retired!
popshumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, alaska trip