Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2012, 12:02 PM   #1

CA 99 - Bakersfield to Redding

I'm currently in Bakersfield, and while I like the weather, I hate the smog/fog/haze. I like looking 50 miles in each direction and seeing "stuff".

My question is this: Is there a nice location/RV park that you could recommend anywhere between Redding and Bakersfield, along the CA99 corridor, that has clear clean skies, and would make a nice winter hangout? I'd like to stay above freezing, but I can tolerated some mildly cool temps. I'll most likely stay from Dec. 1 til March 1.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Bub,

Welcome to the Central Valley. We lived in Fresno for a couple of years and I drive all over the valley on business. During the winter, fog and haze are closer to the norm than not. If you want clear you need to get a little higher.

Unfortunately, I can't help much on parks in the area.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bubwheat,

Although it's near the end of your trip- I have always wanted to stay at Durango RV Resort in Red Bluff. They have always gotten "5 stars" and the river view is great. Not off 99 either but worth the drive just off I-5.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:35 AM   #4

I lived in Red Bluff for four years. Generally pretty good weather in the winter with no snow but it does get COLD at night. Fog can be bad burnout nearly as bad as in San Joaquin Valley and Sacramento area.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #5

about the only way to beat the haze and fog in the valley is altitude. maybe some where in the foothills like oakhurst/coarsegold area.
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
You would pretty much have to be east or west of CA 99 to not have the fog problems you are talking about. It can extend from B-field up to Redding. You might consider north of Redding, such as Mountain Gate or Shasta Lake City which has some RV parks off of I-5 and they are a slightly higher altitude than Redding itself. However, I would inquire about the fog at the altitude before I committed.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:49 PM   #7

I am probably too late...

...but I had a wonderful weekend in the Sierra foothills, here: Sierra Campgrounds | Sequoia RV Ranch | California RV Camping

It is less than an hour off of 99, in Three Rivers, and it is absolutely beautiful along the river.
ldychef2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #8

I travel weekly from Fresno to Bakersfield. As you move north in the Valley the haze diminishes. I live below Coursegold, just above the fog and below the snow/freeze line.
AllTheWaySth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #9

We like the RED BLUFF RV Park. Not a catchy name but lots of big trees and grass. It is located several blocks east of I-5. Very quiet. We always use this park but always in summer/fall. Nice people with small rv store and within walking distance to groceries.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #10

Hey all...

...thanks for the great recommendations, but I've pretty much decided on making a bee-line to S. AZ.

Don't know where for sure I'll end up, but that's part of the adventure, ain't it?
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote