Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2014, 07:13 PM   #15

Great info. For those interested in this thread, see FTB Publication 1031 and in particular section "G Guidelines for Determining Residency - The underlying theory of residency is that you are a resident of the place where you have the closest connections.".

Don't want to kill the thread by wading into legal, tax issues where professional guidance is necessary. But for clarification, not moving the business or opening a branch office - the coach will be my home-office. Note that our LLC is treated as a Subchapter S for tax purposes, I receive a W-2 (salary) and member distributions and am an employee of the LLC as well as having an equity interest (Schedule K-1).

I'll obviously seek legal and financial guidance but at this point, it's discussion and self-education.

Thanks all...
wsimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2014, 07:44 PM   #16

x3. FWIW When I did some out of state contract work several years ago I was told I would remain a NYS resident even if it was a year contract as my residence would stay in NY. It looks like you may be able to skate by if you jump through the correct loop holes but you better know where they are.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post
snowbirds who are retired and not operating a business or earning income in Ca have little to worry about. although as the state got more desperate, they have gone after the dividends & interest of some wealthy Palm Springs seasonal retired visitors.
its more the paid workcampers or seasonal hire folks who are technically tax residents, but frequently get away with it due to their low profile.

It comes down to the Ca FTB determination of your status as either: resident, part year resident or non-resident. a non-resident owes state tax only on income they earned inside Ca, like a professional athlete visiting the state for a one day game gets Ca taxed on that one day proportion of their annual salary. a part year resident owes Ca taxes on ALL their income for the months they were a part year resident, regardless of how or where that income was generated.
keep in mind the Ca FTB has full access to your IRS files and you are required to give them a copy of your IRS tax forms when you file your Ca return.

short term visitors get an exception from filing requirements, but only if their purpose for visiting Ca was "temporary & transitory". any fulltime, continuous stay over 9 months is automatically ruled a resident.
Here is a direct quote from the Ca FTB tax filing instructions:
"You will be presumed to be a California resident for any taxable year in which you spend more than nine months in this state."
Also, they have generally ruled that you are excluded from Temporary & Transitory status if you take paid employment or operate a business for profit within the state.

So the OP has multiple potential violations: one for his basic residency status and the resulting licenses & registrations; one for his personal tax filing status and whether he owes on just earned income or all income; and then there is the status of his business and whether it requires a Ca business license to operate and Ca business taxes, since he does in fact have a Ca office if he operates the business out of his coach while he lives in Ca.

Professional tax & legal advice from experienced Ca experts is called for.

Here are a few additional readings from folks who get paid well for this advice. Their clientele is from a different class, but the same rules apply.

THE PART-TIME RESIDENT TAX TRAP | Sanger & Manes, LLP | Palm Springs, California

A GUIDE TO SUCCESSFUL (TAX-FREE) SNOWBIRDING | Sanger & Manes, LLP | Palm Springs, California
We went thru quite a bit of research when making our final decision to retain our S&B home when we went into retirement. We'd always planned to keep one piece of California property, as income generation. Our decision to retain our S&B was purely to help my MIL. Family needs took priority over both our own financial best interests (We'd rather have sold this, and invested the assets elsewhere.). My wife has a brother that is very low functioning Down Syndrome, now in a group home in San Diego. My wife's Mother, will never leave the area, as she wants to be close to him and look in on him, as often and as long as she can. She had sever medical problems in 2013 and into early 2014, and limited financial resources. So, we shifted out home to be our Vacation Home, and moved her into it. We drop in to check on her well being, in between travels.

We do consider our RV our 'home', and did sell off many items as we mingled ours and my wife's mothers belongings (We wanted the home to feel 'like her's' too...). South Dakota is a good state for Full Time RV'ers, but we've also made a bond with the state.

California really makes it nerve racking for citizens, legal us Citizens, who decide due to financial reasons to leave the state in retirement. We very carefully followed all the rules in regards to leaving the California. I've now seen a Dentist in Arizona, and while I did do a visit and check up with my old Doctor in San Diego while in the area checking on my wife's Mother - I did make a point to keep a PPO, as we have our medical records with us - and will see other Doctors in other states as we travel.

Seems strange that a US Citizen needs to be worried about being harased, and as pointed out in these and other articles, spend thousands of dollars to defend their choice of relocating and going Full Time. Kind of sad that we must feel this way, and that many people must use Federal Courts to get California to leave them alone.

(Sorry for the long post! But reading this article, brought back many of the things we reviewed as we were deciding to leave our old S&B home available for my wife's Mother, and for us to use from time to time as a Vacation Home. Brought back old discussions between us!

Best to all. And be aware, that as long as you follow the rules, and you should not feel frighten of any government. Don't like some of the rules? Then let those that work for us know, and vote according to our beliefs....
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:05 AM   #18

Smitty77: I share your sentiment. My mantra has always been: "I fear not the government, only it's ignorance and mine." You would probably enjoy our think-tank on constitutional theory - although that sir, would be a different thread in a different forum...
wsimpson is offline   Reply With Quote