Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2015, 12:13 PM   #29

CA to NM to TX to NC

Just for fun,

I've been following your thread and thoroughly enjoy it. Look forward to reading and learning more.

We live about 20 minutes south of you and will be taking a similar trip next year. We have a few time and destination commitments. But other than those, we plan on living in the moment and just Having A Blast.

On of our commitments is in Savannah, GA. We will be staying at the nearby Skidaway Island State Park. I will attempt to insert a hyperlink.

http://gastateparks.org/SkidawayIsland/

Make some new happy memories...and travel safely.

2015 Newmar Ventana 3636, Cummins ISB
2014 JKU Wrangler, SMI AF1, Blue Ox Baseplate and Tow Bar
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2015, 12:18 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
Alamo and River Walk - DONE!

Bandera tomorrow!

Possibly both Luckenbach and Fredericksburg on Tuesday.
OMG I hate you. (JK:]) I'm still several years from your wonderful wandering lifetyle.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:50 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
OMG I hate you. (JK:]) I'm still several years from your wonderful wandering lifetyle.
We find this... Journey, interesting. It was not planned - as typical for us. It kinda... Just happened.

With zero planning and only a start and kinda/sort of a returning date, we feel (as much as we can) as the wondering nomads. But our daughter texts us each morning asking "Where's Waldo today???"
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:52 PM   #32

We wound up in Jacksonville, FL this afternoon and have new-to-us MH viewing plans at several somewhat local dealers tomorrow.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:52 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by olustee bus View Post
It will be raining today and tomorrow in NE Florida.

Here is a place off I10 that is a nice campground but no pool Lots of folks swim in the lake. It is a popular campground. I am prejudice as I live on the lake. Very few homes here.
Osceola National Forest Campgrounds

Again, no pool but this area is so nice, I would choose this one. It is on the ocean, The little hamlet of Fernandina is wonderful. The fort is historic.

I don't know of any rv dealers nearby. There is one in Whitehouse (west of Jacksonville) that is good. Campers Inn RV of Jacksonville | FL RV Dealer | Florida RV Sales | RV Parts | RV Service

Dick Gores is just south of Fernandina on I95
Jacksonville

Here is my suggestion, If you are heading towards jacksonville now, stop at Ocean Pond for a night or maybe two, then go on to Fernandina. I think you will be glad you did.

If you have any questions about any of those places, call me. I am pm ing my number.

Buster Baker
Thanks for all of this.

We wound up eating late at the Cracker Barrel in Lee, FL and I was just too tired to push any further. Coincidentally there is a vacant conference center right next door with lots of open parking!!!! Do I here BOONDOCKING?!?!?!?

Now in Jacksonville, we wound up at Pecan Park. Nice enough but right in the flight path of military and commercial air traffic! Oh well. We'll be running around for the next two days looking at RVs.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:09 AM   #34

Don't worry about the overhead plane traffic. It has been weeks since one went down!
Enjoy your stay. Again, if you have any questions, you can call me.
olustee bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:56 AM   #35

Quote:
Don't worry about the overhead plane traffic. It has been weeks since one went down!
Enjoy your stay. Again, if you have any questions, you can call me.
Thanks!
Old 11-20-2015, 05:33 PM   #36

DW and I are enjoying a free evening reading different articles on various places to tour on this trip and we both began laughing - almost simultaneously!!!

We looked at each other and blurted out something like "There are all kinds of touring and trip routing services available to the RV traveler. We, on the other hand, wake up in the morning and simple... Pick a direction!"
Old 11-20-2015, 05:48 PM   #37

Anyone ever visit the town of Folkston, GA?

Apparently it's a large crossroads for train freight crossings. It has become a meeting spot for train affectionottos and the volume of tourists is such that the town has created a park type atmosphere with a park, BBQ pits for visitors settling in for the viewing.

That's our destination for tomorrow - right after visiting one of the largest Flee-Markets in FL! It's my DW's thing...
Old 11-20-2015, 10:47 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by davendeb View Post
Gruen, pronounced Green is a neat little place. Some of the movie "Michael" with John Travolta was filmed there i think. The dance scene with the ladies all-around him.

Yep, take in Gruene hall (Oldest Dance hall in Texas) for a little dancing (18 to 80), go out back for some horseshoes and when you get hungry go next door to the Grist Mill Restaurant. Side by side. When you get to town just look for the water tower, it's right underneath and on the river.

Bruce & Teresa
2000 Foretravel U320 4010
Cummins ISM 450hp
Allison HD4060R 6 Spd W/Retarder
ecurb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 04:31 AM   #39

I have been through Folkston many times but never stopped at he rail station. There are so many trains going by that it is amusing. Since you are over there, I recommend a visit to the Okefenokee Swamp park just south of Folkston.A visit to the old homestead there is nice and a walk out into the swamp is great. If you walk into the swamp, one word of caution When you get to one of the covered sitting areas on the walkway, kinda look around for snakes. I have seen them in the rafters.

Don't let that scare you. They are not there all the time and even if they are there, they won't hurt you. since the weather has turned cool they most likely have gone into hibernation.

I am sorry to sound like a tour guide but you may want to visit cumberland Island over in St. Mary's Georgia. Google it. This is a great time to visit there. YOu can get there early in the morning, take a boat ride over and then come back about midday. You will not need reservations. That would take up most of the day. That is the most peaceful place I know of in the area.

YOu might want to swing by Fernandina Beach on the way home. If you do, I bet that you will want to go back up there for a whole day.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:02 AM   #40

Any suggestions for a Savanna park to stay in and thing to do? Only one day available for touring the area.

Family is pressuring us to "GET OUR BUTTS UP TO NC" so they can spend some time with us before we're on the road again!!!

It's nice to be wanted.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:05 AM   #41

Quote:
I have been through Folkston many times but never stopped at he rail station. There are so many trains going by that it is amusing. Since you are over there, I recommend a visit to the Okefenokee Swamp park just south of Folkston.A visit to the old homestead there is nice and a walk out into the swamp is great. If you walk into the swamp, one word of caution When you get to one of the covered sitting areas on the walkway, kinda look around for snakes. I have seen them in the rafters.

Don't let that scare you. They are not there all the time and even if they are there, they won't hurt you. since the weather has turned cool they most likely have gone into hibernation.

I am sorry to sound like a tour guide but you may want to visit cumberland Island over in St. Mary's Georgia. Google it. This is a great time to visit there. YOu can get there early in the morning, take a boat ride over and then come back about midday. You will not need reservations. That would take up most of the day. That is the most peaceful place I know of in the area.

YOu might want to swing by Fernandina Beach on the way home. If you do, I bet that you will want to go back up there for a whole day.
COOOOOOL!! All interesting suggestions.

As far as being a "tour guide" we can use all the help we can get!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-22-2015, 02:57 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
Any suggestions for a Savanna park to stay in and thing to do? Only one day available for touring the area.

Family is pressuring us to "GET OUR BUTTS UP TO NC" so they can spend some time with us before we're on the road again!!!

It's nice to be wanted.
Red Gate Campground & RV Resort