Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2015, 12:45 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Car Nut View Post
Since no one was keeping records 1000 years ago where does this number come from? At best you can't go back more than 400 years in Calif.
Calif wouldn't have such a bad water shortage if the idiots running things there would stop draining reservoirs to save a minnow instead of feeding people....
Scientific studies from a couple different sources. Here are a couple Articles referring to use of tree rings and soil core samples.

U.S. Droughts Will Be the Worst in 1,000 Years - Scientific American

California drought: Past dry periods have lasted more than 200 years, scientists say

I'm just answering your questions not trying to get into any debate about global warming or such. Regardless of causality, there really isn't and debate that a draught is and has been in place and that it is a repetitive cycle that we could be in the beginning of.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2015, 02:30 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Scientific studies from a couple different sources. Here are a couple Articles referring to use of tree rings and soil core samples.

U.S. Droughts Will Be the Worst in 1,000 Years - Scientific American
Global warming pusher article.

[QUOTE=Sky_Boss;2493084]
California drought: Past dry periods have lasted more than 200 years, scientists say
/QUOTE]

Unless they are looking at tree rings from giant sequoias they don't have tree rings to prove 1000 year history. So I would want to ask them what trees. We all get lied to a lot so I verify everything.

Quote:
I'm just answering your questions not trying to get into any debate about global warming or such. Regardless of causality, there really isn't and debate that a draught is and has been in place and that it is a repetitive cycle that we could be in the beginning of.
Me either. Certainly not with you or here. Please don't take any of this as hostile toward you. Not meant to be. I take issue with any government official, news outlet or organization throwing out arbitrary numbers just to move people in the direction they want. That claim (and I'm not blaming you here) didn't pass the smell test.

If you look at the claims in those stories they are using predictive computer models to project weather decades out. So if the National Weather Service and every meteorologist in the country can't accurately predict the weather one week from now, how can they predict 50 years out? They can't. Those computer models are nothing but a program, created by people who get grants and make their living by predicting doom and gloom. Some of these same peeps said an ice age was coming back in the 70's.

California' water problems are mostly self inflicted. As I said they are draining stockpiles for minnows. They have overbuilt a desert that does not have the local water to support it. They have done very little to improve the supply of water for decades. The Aquaduct being the last major thing. Freebees buy votes, water desalination plants don't. California is, has always been and always will be a desert. Plan accordingly.

I stand by my other comment, more on point with your OP, there will be an increase cost/penalty at CG's because it will be a luxury item. Camping is not considered necessary (although I disagree with that) and as such they will not avoid tax burden there in the interest of commerce/economy.

You are correct, no matter the cause Cali is in trouble and since a great deal of the nations food comes from there it will impact us all. But if they don't put the adults in charge there I see little hope of what can be done being done to correct it. The adults are not in charge there.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:21 PM   #17

Think we'd all have to agree that RV'ers are usually pretty good at water conservation if for no other reason than the limitations of their holding tanks. Not that Ca's leadership will likely take that into account. RV parks will charge what they can get that we will pay. As far as all the science stuff . . . Even with the best data available different scientists draw different conclusions. Meteorology is way too complex to do much more than guess what's coming next. But does look like a little rain is on the way.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:36 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
While the drought may not directly effect RVers it could indirectly effect the whole Tourist industry in Ca. I think that if the drought continues another year it'll come to the point that it'll be a case of completely cut water to agriculture or i.e. water parks etc. and I'm willing to bet the water parks will lose their water before agriculture will.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:24 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Car Nut View Post
Don't bet on it. If you have money to go camping you are not yet paying enough taxes, fees and penalties. Obviously you are not surrendering your entire income to the government yet. Fear not, they are working on that.
Have no arguements with politicians filling the holes they dug with taxes. It is the easy way to go. Good government is always the most difficult when times are good because they will say not say no to anyone. Tough times make better government because they have to be a bit more selective in what they fund. Generally the wrong thing but not everything.

To tax us they have to get us there. RV are the most mobile of tourists. Piss me off and tomorrow I am 500 miles away. We travel through CA on our way to and from Yuma. We plan our fuel stops to avoid CA service stations because of the differential due to taxes. I have noticed in recent trips that the differential is getting smaller on the route we travel. We are not the only ones they see passing their places of business.

Las Vegas hit the skids. First thing they did was lower the price of rooms. They cannot get your dollars if you are not there. Once you are in residence the costs will get you. Where buffets used to be $8.00 they are now approaching $25.00 or more. That is where they get you as the service industry employs more folks than the accommodation industry. They need to keep unemployment up to be successful.

It is a moot point for us as we plan to do very little travel in CA in the near to mid future. We have been there and seen and enjoyed the things that interested us.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:40 PM   #20
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Visit British Columbia...water is not an issue.....the U.S. dollar is worth $1.25.
Two official language English and French.
If you have never been....I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:53 PM   #21

I'm a California native..61 years today😉 3rd generation to boot. Raised in Los Angeles, as was my mother and grandfather. Just wanted to say something about the wildfires. No, you shouldn't run into a problem in Central California, drought or no drought, regarding fires. They are usually in the dry canyon areas, full of brush. Not the areas where you would most likely be driving.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:59 PM   #22

Quote:
California (at least large parts of it) is suffer the worst drought in over 1000 years. Gov Brown has just announced new water restrictions designed to reduce water use by 25% and promising money for enforcement.

I know for me that puts a damper on my enthusiasm to visit those parts of the state. I'm wondering of RV/CG facilities will have to raise rates to cover any water usage issues and how that will affect their water operations in general.

How do you see this affecting plans to RV in California? Have you seen any evidence of its affects at the CG level?
I'm a little concerned with the 1000 year span. I've heard from other sources (news) that if this drought is as bad as the 1930's then we are in trouble.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:15 PM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
There will be enough water if you have enough money. Yes, just follow the money. Supply and demand is a money maker. I do agree that we are in a drought and some of my lawn will pay the price. The best camping in So Cal is in the winter in the desert, no water needed. We have 38 million people here so if anyone wants to stay out, thank you. My RV travels in Cal are to get out of the state. If there is global climate change, we better just get ready to adjust to it because we have no way to control the weather, or we would do something about those tornadoes.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california, water