Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2020, 10:08 AM   #1

California here we come!

I'm not big on the bucket list things to do, if we happen to be heading somewhere and if there is something sounds interesting, then let's do it! However, there are two items that I must do, The Tournament of Roses Parade and the Getty Museum in Malibu.

I have made several attempts at visiting the Getty, all have failed. Now it is desperation time!

We have discussed this ever since buying a motor home. Now it is time, we're not getting any younger. So, the 2022 Parade is it. My plan is for us to mosey out west, stopping in Alabama for an earlish Christmas with the family there and off we go. We will probably kind of hop skip across from there, staying a night or two until we reach the Golden Shores or Pasadena, whichever comes first.

That area is not exactly rife with RV parks and most of them are mainly full time locations. I am currently considering Hollywood RV Park in Balboa, formerly Balboa RV Park.

Who has visited, is it the best option for attending the parade? We might pull up anchor and head down to Malibu before or after the parade.

After the parade and the Getty we plan to wander around CA until March when we will head to Indian Wells for a week before heading back east.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2020, 10:18 AM   #2

You have a toad, right? You don't want to take a big rig into urban LA if you can avoid it. So I would stay outside the urban core and then commute into town with your toad. Maybe someplace in the San Fernando Valley??

Yes, that will make for two long days -- one day for the parade (get up early!!) and a day for the Getty. That is the unfortunate reality of life in SoCal -- lots of driving, lots of traffic.

If you are hoping to do the Getty on (say) Jan 2, I wish you the best of luck. That is (of course) the height of the winter tourist season.

If you get the chance, visit the beach in winter -- it is often sunnier and prettier in "winter" than it is in the summer! (The water is colder, though.)

Hang in there. Good luck!!
Old 12-03-2020, 10:25 AM   #3

Yep we've been through LA a number of times by car, it is not a fun place to drive. I also have read that our RV is not allowed on a number of highways in the area.

I'm thinking before or after the parade we stop in Malibu at Malibu RV Park or a little further south at Dockweiler RV Park near Manhattan Beach. I discovered that the Pacific is much colder than the Atlantic. The first time I put my toes in the water at Coronado they about froze and it was early October.

We didn't think it through, but New Orleans the week between Christmas and New Years should be avoided at all costs!

In all we will be in the area for about a week or longer.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:52 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Many RV's park along the east side of the parade route. They start showing up a couple of days prior to the parade, and spots are pretty limited along the streets. I would strongly suggest that you contact either the city of Pasadena or the Tournament of Roses about the disposition of the Parade. I've heard rumors that it will be cacelled due to Covid.
GPCPL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:54 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We've been to the parade twice.

I suggest parking your coach in Balboa Park and then go to Pasadena for three days. The hotels have three day packages which is what you want.

Get a hotel that is right on the parade route. The city puts up big bleachers for seating.

The first day you can tour the place where they are building the floats. The night before the parade is almost as exciting as the parade because people start lining up on the street then. Lot's of fun strange things go on all night.

After the Parade all the floats are put in a park at the end of the parade route and you can go there to see them and actually touch them.

You must get your room reservations at least 6 months in advance. It's not cheap but your only going to do this once so do it right.

There are lot's of really good restaurants in Pasadena so go have a good time.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
We've been to the parade twice.

I suggest parking your coach in Balboa Park and then go to Pasadena for three days. The hotels have three day packages which is what you want.

Get a hotel that is right on the parade route. The city puts up big bleachers for seating.

The first day you can tour the place where they are building the floats. The night before the parade is almost as exciting as the parade because people start lining up on the street then. Lot's of fun strange things go on all night.

After the Parade all the floats are put in a park at the end of the parade route and you can go there to see them and actually touch them.

You must get your room reservations at least 6 months in advance. It's not cheap but your only going to do this once so do it right.

There are lot's of really good restaurants in Pasadena so go have a good time.
Thanks for the suggestions about watching the final assembly of floats.

No hotels for us, two large dogs will be traveling with us. If we must, we will use one of the pet walking services. As soon as possible I will be making our campground reservations.
Old 12-03-2020, 12:08 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do you like the desert? If so, Anza Borrego is really nice- and lots of things to do when there. We've stayed in 3 different places...some with basic t.amenities and one with everything you could want. Winter and spring is great.
Old 12-03-2020, 12:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPCPL View Post
Many RV's park along the east side of the parade route. They start showing up a couple of days prior to the parade, and spots are pretty limited along the streets. I would strongly suggest that you contact either the city of Pasadena or the Tournament of Roses about the disposition of the Parade. I've heard rumors that it will be cacelled due to Covid.
Fingers crossed it will be held next year, that is what we're planning. We're not going anywhere until at the earliest, April of this year.
Old 12-04-2020, 12:15 AM   #9

I think I'd stay at the beach. Maybe Leo Carrillo or Bolsa Chica. From there I'd board the dogs for a day or two or three and do rose parade hotel thing followed by a day at the Getty, again boarding the dogs. From Bolsa Chica to Pasadena is less than an hour and the Getty is 45 minutes. Leo Carrillo is closer to the Getty and a little further to Pasadena. You could also look at Castaic Lake which wouldn't be too far from both as well.
I second the Anza Borrego suggestion and/or Joshua Tree NP, both are more or less due east of LA.
If you are heading north, Red Rock Canyon State Park would be on my list and a little further north, as long as you are here, is Death Valley NP.
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 05:44 PM   #10

Unless you plan on boondocking a lot, make reservations well in advance. Campgrounds in California are book SOLID for ages to come.
TheLex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 05:56 PM   #11

Yes camping can be tight and seems worse now because a lot of people want to get out of the house. I tried to get into Pismo Coast village for next week and been booked solid. Kept calling for chance someone cancelled out and I scored yesterday!!
Old 12-04-2020, 06:12 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Better check ahead. California is pretty much being shut down. The rose parade most likely will be shut down for spectators. The news is saying the Governer is having stay at home orders until after Christmas.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles L View Post
Better check ahead. California is pretty much being shut down. The rose parade most likely will be shut down for spectators. The news is saying the Governer is having stay at home orders until after Christmas.

They are not going until 2022, so hopefully everything is more open by then. If you can get in Malibu RV park it is outstanding. To get the best views you should point in. You have time to get ahead of it and enjoy. Buy tickets high in the bleachers.
Old 12-05-2020, 01:51 PM   #14

Things better be open in 2022.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california