Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2023, 10:20 AM   #15

I would agree with Tomahawk-the inland areas will be hothothot. The coastal route would be my choice for that time of year. Keep in mind that you will be visiting during wildfire season, and plan to be flexible in your routes. Last year wasn’t too bad, but the 3 previous years were incredibly horrific with entire cities disseminated. But other than that, this state is worth seeing.
In re: SF—I worked there for 17 years, and like all cities, it has its problems. But the GG bridge is still majestic and gorgeous, esp. at that time of year; Marin headlands are incredibly beautiful and hikeable. The Bay Bridge is an architectural wonder, esp. at night when lit. GG park is beautiful with lots of sights (botanical garden, DeYoung museum, Japanese Tea Garden, etc.)
“Rush hour” really does last from 5 am-9.30ish, then picks up again around 2-6. If you can avoid the freeways and bridges during those times, you will have a happier trip. You must have a Fastrack transponder to pay the $7 for 2 axles, or you will be invoiced.
Morro Bay SP is beautiful, and the boardwalk for the estuary is right across the street. El Chorro Regional Park is our favorite, and a short walk to the botanical gardens and hiking.
If you find yourself in Bakersfield and need a place to stay, Harvest Host “Where Are You Headed” is a lovely overnight spot.
Have a wonderful trip!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2023, 03:41 AM   #16

Deserts in summer--Not fun

You're about 5 months out & looking to lock in your cross-country trip. May I revisit your desert itinerary from a different viewpoint. While the southwest deserts in summer can literally be a hazard to life, as pointed out by locals who know, here's what will more likely happen: the first day in the desert, your teen/preteen kids, being normal young people, will crack open the door of your RV and get hit with an oven-blast of hot dry air. They will instantly slam the door shut again, and you will spend the next 5 days & nights inside your rig with 4 kids and your SO (plus pets if they're along too) with the a/c running full bore. But here's even more fun: RV a/c's only cool to about 20 degrees below ambient. So if it's 110+ outside, the best you're doing inside the rig is still in the 90s. And that's with everything working right. If you want the kids to stay super excited and have happy memories of the big trip, rather than horror stories, stay on the coast, and maybe high Sierras for a bit.

My personal favorite in SF is the Musee Mecanique on Fisherman's Wharf. All old mechanical coin-op contraptions from the last century. Just charming & fascinating to watch physical machines with gears, wheels & motors doing their thing, in this i- and e- everything age
Old 02-14-2023, 12:32 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
California Options

This is where we live and so we have many recommendations!

Here’s a link to some:
Pismo,
https://mobilemosers.com/category/ar...rea-spotlight/

Monterey,
https://mobilemosers.com/category/ar...ight/monterey/

And north of Monterey
https://mobilemosers.com/category/ar...rn-california/

A few tips and off the beaten path stops to consider:
- in Pismo Area, on your way to Avila Beach, the Avila Valley Barn is a great stop.
- Avila Beach is great for sunsets.
- also in Avila is a great lighthouse tour you can only get to by trolly.
- In Monterey, we like staying at the Moss Landing KOA. We love a walk along the river, or to coffee, or to Phil’s fish or The Whole Enchilada.
- If you do stay in Moss Landing, visit Pezzini Farms in nearby Castroville for fried artichoke hearts.
- Also at Moss Landing, The Elkhorn Slough Safari is a great way to see nature.
- In Santa Cruz area, Capitola and Aptos are great to visit. There was some damage from the storm, but Capitola is like a little SoCal beach town planted in NorCal.
- In Capitola, we like to stop at Gayle’s Bakery and Rosticceria and also Marianne’s Ice Cream.
- In Aptos, we like Aptos Street BBQ.
- Unfortunately, Seacliff State Beach campground is closed for the foreseeable future….maybe for your next trip!
- From Santa Cruz, it’s a very short drive to Henry Cowell Redwood State Park. This is a great place to walk in the redwoods! Next door is a narrow gauge railroad if you want to ride through them in style!

Take care and hope you have an awesome RV trip here!
Old 02-14-2023, 01:06 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do you have any reservations made yet?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 07:36 PM   #19

Thank you for all the feedback!
I understand the viewpoints of the heat [emoji16]

Macnut...thank you for that info on the central coast. I need to decide if I give up a day visiting the sights in San Francisco for a day/night in that area (depending on what campsite I can find).

Arch...I have all reservations made, except at Joshua Tree...as I am still deciding if we are going to do two nights there...or one night there, and one night at DV.
Yes, I know, not ideal...but we'll never be back to this area with the kids and camper again. And we like to visit every national park we can...even if for a half day!

Is it recommended to keep two full days at Sequoia?
mekkerlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 09:19 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I live in the area and have been to Sequoia several times. I think one day is enough but that's just my own opinion.

In college we did a three day field trip to Death Valley and studied the plants, etc there. Plants, animals and insects have to be very tough to live in that climate.

It might help if you read up on desert plants, etc before you visit to really appreciate what is going on there.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 09:32 AM   #21

CW5AVRet, that is a really fun museum! Great recommendation!
Old 02-15-2023, 09:34 AM   #22

Macnut, what a treat to have your recommendations. Nothing like a local to point a tourist to better sites!
Old 02-15-2023, 09:38 AM   #23

If there is a knitter in your crew, You might look at Nancy Bates’ book, Knitting the National Parks. Beautiful photos and some great hats for NOT when you are in the desert in summer ;>
Old 02-19-2023, 03:27 PM   #24

Send a message via ICQ to Steve Rankin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR60 View Post
I used to enjoy a day in San Francisco. But I would not visit there now.
Someone used to publish a Poop Map online that told where the city had cleaned that day. But the City forced them to take it down. not because it was not true but because it drew national attn.
It was a beautiful city with world class restaurants, and plenty to do. Now it's a place I drive around.
If you do go stick to the most touristy areas like the Warf, China town, Golden Gate park, etc...
One place in the bay Area that is still kept clean is Colima. [ City of the Dead] Its in the South end. After the 1906 earthquake the city moved all the graveyards out of SF to Colima. if you are interested in that kind of history, there are lots of really famous people buried there. They sell maps to the Graves of the Stars!
Good Luck, DR
Steve Rankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 03:30 PM   #25

You will love pismo. We go there many times a year. Try pismo coast village, you will enjoy the stay very much. We always have a wonderful time.
Mrgreyhound3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 03:49 PM   #26

Check Hwy 1, weather

So many choices! Much good advice here. California is large & so diverse. Depends what you like most.

Check weather. I live in Sacramento CA where it can get hot & personally I’d stay far away from the desert in summer not sure even mornings/eves are tolerable. I’d skip Las Vegas too or cut back days it’s HOT there unless you really want to see shows, gambling, sights there. Yosemite too will likely be hot then but beautiful.

Check Highway 1 to make sure it’s open. it’s currently CLOSED in one area due to mudslides and likely no detour. It is a gorgeous drive and best to head north to south to enjoy the views & many ocean side pullouts.

Also consider Monterey, Pacific Grove Lovers Point drive & Carmel. I agree with the suggestion to check out the north coast redwoods it’ll be cool and quieter than southern CA.

SF is beautiful and unique.

Too many choices I’d look at articles, photos/videos online (maybe YouTube?) to narrow it all down.

Sounds like you’ll all have a memorable trip!

PS Curious if you’ll be driving through either Utah (great NPs) or Colorado. Loved both!
DebbieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 04:05 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Spell check

Quote:
Someone used to publish a Poop Map online that told where the city had cleaned that day. But the City forced them to take it down. not because it was not true but because it drew national attn.
It was a beautiful city with world class restaurants, and plenty to do. Now it's a place I drive around.
If you do go stick to the most touristy areas like the Warf, China town, Golden Gate park, etc...
One place in the bay Area that is still kept clean is Colima. [ City of the Dead] Its in the South end. After the 1906 earthquake the city moved all the graveyards out of SF to Colima. if you are interested in that kind of history, there are lots of really famous people buried there. They sell maps to the Graves of the Stars!
Good Luck, DR
Just to avoid confusion the "City of the Dead" is Colma, not Colima. Many cemeteries and interesting to wonder around and read the inscriptions on the many tombstones.
Old 02-19-2023, 04:48 PM   #28

Quote:
Good Luck, DR
Yes, San Fran was the jewel of Calif. now it’s turdville. If you do plan to visit, expect your toad to be broken into, so don’t leave any valuables in it and better yet, leave it unlocked and put a sigh on the vehicle that it’s unlocked. Yes it’s that bad.
Bonron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california