Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2020, 05:07 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Call Ahead People!

We are taking off on a 3000 mile trip a few days after the 4th. I had thought of not making reservations and just winging it. But after seeing all the comments I decided to make reservations.

It's just about a month out and I got many of my reservations but was told many were limited on space. I'm not going anywhere touristy or fancy. Just from San Antonio, TX to Akron, OH to visit family. Not one of the campgrounds is in a tourist destination or even a big city.

We can't get away early on the first day, so I'm booking a place about 100 miles away - North of Austin by about 25 miles. Everything was booked. The two decent campgrounds with better reviews were both booked up for the entire month of July. What? That's not normal here in Texas in the hot Summer.

I went further up I-35 until I found a spot, but even they are getting near fully booked.

I suggest you do some calling ahead if you are traveling this Summer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2020, 06:00 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Once state governors give the green light to campgrounds opening, RV'rs want somewhere (anywhere) to go. Within 24 hrs, every FHU site in OH state parks was snapped up for the entire Summer & well into Fall. Couple that with a news segment I saw from a local RV dealer with the sales manager claiming they had their best quarter for sales EVER this past Spring....many being 1st RV'rs snapping up TT's. All those people are going somewhere & campgrounds are full, especially on wknds.

It's going to be tough finding spots this season.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:37 PM   #3

I always reserve my sites months in advance. With everything going I may have to do them even sooner. I usually don't travel during the summer due to the heat and more families with kids traveling. But I am just to get out.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:43 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
In the past two years, we have seen it increasingly difficult to get reservations, in the summer months especially. The rest of the year you can pretty well rule out state and Federal parks on weekends and holidays unless you book your reservations 6 months or more out.

Plan ahead now.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 08:11 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Been on the road since May 11th. Campgrounds are filling up. Currently in Moab, Ut. which has several campgrounds and most have no Vacancy's signs out. Campgrounds around West Yellowstone are basically full also. People are starting to get out.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:10 PM   #6

Sadly, it seems to be the new normal that it’s harder to just hit the road and go where the wind takes you. Especially in summer. Off season it can be done, but even then you have to sometimes call ahead in the morning to where you want to spend the night. RVing is more popular now than ever.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohurry View Post
RVing is more popular now than ever.

and the population is bigger than ever!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 07:22 AM   #8

We have not had any trouble so far this summer just booking a few days out. Three open spots across the road from us right now in a really nice COE park.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 07:30 AM   #9

If you don’t have a spot in Ohio you can check Evergreen Resort in Dundee. It’s actually closer to Mount Eaton than to Dundee. 30-35 miles to Akron. Nice place, gets close to full on weekends but seems to be a lot of spots during the week.
wjohnson913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 12:41 PM   #10

We have found the same. Finding a space can be iffy at times. Leaving next Wednesday for a 10 day trip. No where touristy. Just a get out and go situation, safely....a change of scenery. Staying away from any crowds, just driving stop to stop.
Had a bit of difficulty making reservations in some places, a few weeks in advance. With a bit of route adjustment, it was manageable.
Old 06-16-2020, 02:06 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
We do 2+ months out West without reservations about every other summer. Last summer in Moab is the first time in 7 summers I went elsewhere, partly because it was still 98 degrees in late September . Could have dispersed camped but running the generator 24 hours/day takes the fun out of it. Drove 3 hours to Mesa, CO where we had frost the next morning.

Have not decided when we’ll head West again this summer so will not make reservations as usual and will not worry about it being fully self contained. Different strokes for different folks.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 06:49 PM   #12

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We started our summer 6 week trip in New Stanton, PA area as our first stop. Campground was about 1/2 full when we arrived Thursday but filled up for the weekend.

Now in Michigan and it is again fairly empty but may fill up this weekend. Heading to Elkhart and Shipshewanna end of next week but we already have reservations there

I did call for a spot in Chattanooga TN yesterday for the 2nd week of July and they had a spot. I think calling ahead is the smart thing to do now.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:05 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmck1737 View Post
We started our summer 6 week trip in New Stanton, PA area as our first stop. Campground was about 1/2 full when we arrived Thursday but filled up for the weekend.

Now in Michigan and it is again fairly empty but may fill up this weekend. Heading to Elkhart and Shipshewanna end of next week but we already have reservations there

I did call for a spot in Chattanooga TN yesterday for the 2nd week of July and they had a spot. I think calling ahead is the smart thing to do now.
We are heading to Goshen this coming Friday, for repairs to the rig. We are staying in the Elkhart County Fairgrounds. It has 50 amp, FHU for $33/night.
Next Monday we go to the repair and will spend the week sitting in their lot.
Shipshewana has some campgrounds, and not too far away is a campground called "Twin Mills". We stayed there in 2017 and had a beautiful site facing the lake.
But we call ahead and make reservations, keeps wife from stressing about where we will stop.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 07:53 AM   #14

We are visiting Glacier in early Sept (already have a site reserved @ WG KOA) but I typically don't make all the trip out/back reservations until last minute. We both work & things come up & it's a pain to have to move 10 different reservations. But this post motivated me to reserve them all right away & we got in every place I wanted to. Now we'll probably have to move the trip
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote