Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2015, 04:53 PM   #1

Camp Ground close to tour New York

Looking for a nice camp ground in or around New York so that we can tour the city without driving into. We mostly want to do bus and boat tours. We saw Liberty RV Park in New Jersey but we would prefer something a little nicer. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I read that this park charges additional $20.00 per night for your car if your MH cannot fit into a 45' space? Did I read that right. Thank you!

Roy and Judy
Judy Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2015, 04:57 PM   #2

The last time we were there, we stayed at Black Bear Campground. Blackbearcampground.com

Nice campground, about an hour out of NYC. We took the shuttle bus van tour of NYC and thought it was worth the price.
Bobontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:10 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Welcome to irv2. Nice and close to NYC is a difficult task. I've stayed at Liberty Park at least six times and you can't beat the convenience. If you want a camping experience you'll have to spend half your day commuting . I've heard that new rule about the toad ,however most don't have an issue with it.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:10 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I know you want something nicer but Liberty Harbor is maybe two blocks from the train/subway. There is also a ferry dock right at the RV park that takes you into Manhattan. We have stayed there three or four times and granted not the nicest facilities but when there we spend the time in the RV or in NYC. Works for us. I'm a little confused about the RV not fitting into a 45 foot space. We have a 40 foot with toad and haven't had a problem. Disconnect and park the tow car angled in and no problem. Perhaps that has changed. Why not give them a call and find out for sure. And Welcome to IRV2.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:17 PM   #5

A few years back we stayed at Newburgh KOA and took their day tour to NYC. I think it was $65 each which included boat to SOL and Empire State Building, time square, China Town and Broadway area.
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:26 PM   #6
Community Administrator

That's great for a day trip to those two wonderful spots , however New York has so much more than that to see and do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailiff View Post
A few years back we stayed at Newburgh KOA and took their day tour to NYC. I think it was $65 each which included boat to SOL and Empire State Building, time square, China Town and Broadway area.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:00 AM   #7

No one has mentioned the drive to Liberty RV Park. It is pretty hair raising if you ask me. You drive through very congested urban NJ, then turn towards Liberty Harbor at the last moment before entering Holland Tunnel (and worrying all the way what if I miss the last turn) then there is only one street with decent clearance to the park. the two times we have stayed there (never again), once we took the wrong turn and had to drive through downtown Jersey City and the other time when we carefully planned landmarks and such to make sure of the correct turn, police had the road blocked off for construction and wanted to detour us onto small side streets. Personally, I'd rather commute an hour.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:50 AM   #8

Almost two years ago now, we stayed at the Newburgh KOA, north of NYC. We drove our truck across the Hudson at Newburgh to go to Beacon where we caught the train, and then spent the entire day and evening in the city. It worked out great!! Very easy to do, and beautiful train ride too, maybe an hour's ride? Wonderful!!
Old 08-07-2015, 05:43 AM   #9

We stayed at Liberty Harbor and took advantage of a tour that the park arranged. The tour bus picked us up at the park for a 1/2 day tour of the city. Times Square-centrial Park - World Trade Center- bus picked us up right at Liberty RV park.
The ferry to the city docks right at the RV park and the subway train is a short walk.

I for sure would stay there again. If you want trees and country campground. It is not that. It's a parking lot will water & electric and a dump station over in the corner. I believe it has a shower facility also we don't ever use those as we use the RV.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 05:01 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy Francis View Post
We saw Liberty RV Park in New Jersey but we would prefer something a little nicer. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I read that this park charges additional $20.00 per night for your car if your MH cannot fit into a 45' space? Did I read that right. Thank you!

Roy and Judy
I have a friend staying at Liberty Harbor right now. I asked him if he had a "space problem" and mentioned the $20 additional if the car doesn't fit. He has the same motor home as mine and tows a CRV. He said he doesn't have a problem with the car but cannot extend the slides all the way out. He also said they charge $40 if you do not physically check out at the desk when you leave.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 05:51 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobontheroad View Post
The last time we were there, we stayed at Black Bear Campground. Blackbearcampground.com

Nice campground, about an hour out of NYC. We took the shuttle bus van tour of NYC and thought it was worth the price.

In 2012 we stayed at Black Bear and I would do it again too. We took the all day bus trip into the city, which as OK, but been there, done that. We also drove to catch the train over on the Hudson and spend the day in the city. That was great and a good train ride. From Black Bear we also went to West Point to do the tour. We have a friend that lives about an hour away in Pennsylvania that we got to go see too. Taking a tour bus to the city was enough to convince me that we had done the right thing.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:17 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Another vote for Black Bear. We spent 4 nights there last month. You cannot beat the bus trip. Leaves from the campground at 8am and returns at 6pm. And you are less than 30 minutes from West Point and a great tour and review of military history.
TwoCorners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:44 PM   #13

Another vote for Black Bear campground. We stayed there last year at this time. We drove our vehicle into a little town called Beacon and rode the train into Grand Central Station. The office @ the campground has directions and all the info you need.
rtbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:05 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbroke View Post
Another vote for Black Bear campground. We stayed there last year at this time. We drove our vehicle into a little town called Beacon and rode the train into Grand Central Station. The office @ the campground has directions and all the info you need.

We did similar, but drove to Peekskill on the Hudson. What a great train ride into the city. Loved it. It was a Saturday though, so no commuters.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote