Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2019, 09:59 PM   #1

Camp ground question

I have been driving Class B's since 1986, and I mean driving! A short trip was Denver Co. to Branford CT. about 2100 miles, pulling a little trailer and 3 girls under 12 yrs old, plus the wife. One round trip from Denver to Winnipeg Ca. to Long Island NY., back to Denver, was 6100+ miles, in just shy of 3 weeks. Never stayed in a campground, I think we stayed in 2 campgrounds in all the years, and hated it. Can someone tell me what I'm missing here? Let's see, find an opening at one, pay a arm and a leg for a parking spot, half of what they advertise is not available( pools with no water, electric that only puts out 107 volts, fresh water that is far from fresh, great views of your neighbor 10 feet away). Now I'm rebuilding a vintage top of the line Class A, and people are telling me about "great campgrounds that I must stay at", why in the world would I want to drive 1000 miles to stay next to several hundred other RV's? I have my own electric, my own water, 100 gallons of fuel, my own heat and AC, I can stay in any National forest I want, next to any lake I want, any WalMart I want, spend a day or several for free, and not have to put up with anyone else. I live on a 46 acre ranch in Colorado, over the Arkansas river and and 30K+ acres of BLM land around me for a reason, people drive me crazy. I drive a bit over 500 Miles from Pueblo Colorado, to Marysville KS. 6 or 7 times a yr. in a nice SUV with 6 dogs, in about 9-10 hrs, get 22 mpg., stop for the dogs every 2 hrs., (KS, has the best rest areas) drive home in a day or 2, and I'm tired, would never do it in a class A. So if any of you could explain why staying in a campground has its benefits, I have an open mind, and willing to listen! I can stop at any Motel for $65 a day, if I need to, I will be pulling a small 4x4 toad, so I can visit any place I want, after I park the RV. Looking forward to any advice you can offer.
Thanks Much,
Gus
GUSRENTIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2019, 10:15 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUSRENTIT View Post
Now I'm rebuilding a vintage top of the line Class A
Is this your “1975 Apollo 26BD, Dodge M500 440-3, with 93000 miles“ that you had in 2014 you’re talking about?

From what you’ve posted I can’t believe you really want others to convince you to stay in any campground or that you have, as you said, an “open mind” on this subject. Are you sure you don’t just want folks to validate your current behavior?

And, in 1986 a “Class B” was a panel van, wasn’t it? The term hadn’t been coined for another 15-years.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:19 PM   #3

DO you fill better now that you got that off your chest?

No one is going to convince you.

You have found what works for you...why change it

On a side note:
Do your kids really enjoy those marathon trips?
I hated them as a kid
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:38 PM   #4

I don't think campgrounds are for you. Have a good trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:49 PM   #5

Well bless your heart. You are such an extrovert. Enjoy.
IBTripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:18 AM   #6

I can tell you this. . . 100 gallons of fresh water doesn't go far with me, my wife, and our two girls.

I don't know where you've been staying that you can't get good power or clean water. . . .

You're welcome try your luck for $65 a night at the "No-Tell Motel". To me, it's not worth dealing with the bedbugs and cockroaches.

I'd much rather drive across the country in my class A than my SUV.

You can't stand people, yet you're essentially on a social media site.

If you're driving "1,000 miles" just to stay in a campground that's your problem. I stay in parks/campgrounds that are near places we want to visit. It just so happens that I look for nice parks/campgrounds to stay in while we're there. Of course, you don't like people and are taking six dogs with you so I'd imagine you're not "visiting" any touristy areas, which is fine; in which case you can just park wherever until your black tank fills up.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:35 AM   #7

[moderator edit]

How about a turbo LS instead.

[moderator edit]
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:41 AM   #8

I like having unlimited hot water showers
Old 03-22-2019, 04:29 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
"46 acre ranch in Colorado, over the Arkansas river" Why leave? {just saying}
Old 03-22-2019, 05:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifemember View Post
"46 acre ranch in Colorado, over the Arkansas river" Why leave? {just saying}
I agree, I would probably never leave that part of Heaven in Colorado.
BUT
I can agree with some........just some...... of what he is saying. When the day comes that we finally pull the trigger on our new rig (when wife finally retires) I will not be a "campground" camper. The thought of being crammed in alongside tens of others in a crowded noisy CG, looking out the window at a neighbors stinky slinky has no appeal at all. BLM ground, smaller State Parks are way more appealing. We have two State Parks 50 miles from home that most people don't realize exist. Both have lakes that have great fishing........ HEAVEN
Ironically I am happy to be off on our own but wouldn't mind trying Camp Host at a State Park to see how we like it. Retired LE, I still enjoy people but also enjoy solitude and freedom.
I think the poster has a lot going on with all his health issues and disagreeing without bashing might be appropriate. All the physical health problems can affect a persons mental attitude.........just saying
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:29 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi GUSRENTIT,
RVing is not just about travel and seeing places. It is about interacting with other people. Birds of a feather kind of thing. If you do not like to interact/socialize with other people it is difficult to make any recommendations. Campgrounds come in all flavors. Those with very large lots are usually ownership resorts. Each lot is quite private from the neighbor(s).

There are vintage/specialized RV clubs one can join. There are many RV organizations one can join (like Escapees or loners on Wheels (if not married). My only recommendation is to get out there and mingle. Most social events are semi-organized. Organization events are usually held in a camp ground. This will give you the opportunity to try different places with different people.

In a resort where we own a lot, there is a fellow who was very bitter (about how life had treated him). He liked to reminisce about all the different ways he had been badly treated. Finally, he (and wife in tow) moved to a new section of the resort. This was way up on the top side of a mountain. No one else has ever purchase a lot up there. Rumor has it he makes people feel very uncomfortable. I guess he has what he wants. Up there all by himself.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:11 PM   #12

Gus, you started with a post of criticism about everything. I really don't think you'd enjoy a RV park. It sounds like you're more suited to national forests and BLM lands and that's just fine. Good luck with your rebuild!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote